Saturday, March 24, 2007

Pick your poison

Let's try this.
My collection addictions...
When I was 8 or 10, I was big into stamp collecting. I still have them and use them in my art. But I can't say I really collect stamps any more.

I have silver spoons that one of my aunts collected for me. A few people have given me some as gifts during the years also. Although I haven't actively gone out and bought spoons, I enjoy having something to remember my aunt by.

I also have my grandmother's collection of china teacups. Their dantiness is not really my style, but I enjoy having them as a memory of her.

So what do I love to collect?

Rubber stamps, art supplies, craft books- need to explain?

These are Swedish tomte. (I probably mangled the spelling- sorry to those of you who can actually read and write Swedish). My daughter and I get one each Christmas from one of my uncles, and a few I brought home from a trip I took there ages ago. My heritage is 75% Swedish- 3 of my Grandparents were from there so I love how these colorful wooden carvings keep that piece of my ancestry alive. These tomte are suppose to keep misfortune away from the house where they are found. That's another good reason to have them around.






































I also have a collection of Swedish dala horses, which are carved out of wood and brightly painted. They are now a common symbol of Sweden, but I read that they were originally made by soldiers back in the 1700's in order to get soup from someone. I read that the soldier would present a horse painted in the traditional red (a common available color) to the woman of the house and she would give him soup for dinner in return. I was in Chicago last spring and visited Andersonville (of course- my maiden name was Anderson) and took this photo of this big local landmark.







I also love little storage cubbies. This is a photo of one I found at a local antique shop. It came from the mail room at the University of New Hampshire, and most of the cubbies are labeled with building names. I have it hanging behind my studio work table. I keep some small stamps and fun little "toys" in it.

Another collection I have is small rubber and plastic animals. I actually discovered these critters when my daughter was young and realized very quickly they appealed to my inner child. I especially like sea creatures- but don't want any snakes.













I collect books to read- someday.

I collect salt glaze pottery. We have a famous studio fairly local- Salmon Falls Pottery, and here is a photo of some of my collection.

Lastly- I collect sandals. I like shoes, but I'm not really a shoe maniac- I could wear the same pair of clogs or boots ever day for weeks-except for sandals. I wish I could wear them year round- but I live in New Hampshire and that means we have a real winter. I have more pairs of sandals than any other shoe in my closet, and I'm always on the look out for something exciting. This year I have a hankering for some red ones.

4 comments:

Ursula Clamer said...

I enjoyed reading about all your collections. I particularly like the Tomte and really like what they stand, I think I'd like to get one for myself. Ux

Crafty Green Poet said...

I enjoyed reading about your collections too especailly the Tomte! Sorry for not being more original in my comments!

Ro Bruhn said...

I love the storage cubbies, they are a work of art on their own with all your stamps in them

lala412 said...

I love the dala horses! I'm quite a bit Swedish as well (have Andersons in my background and also married an Anderson, although apparently they were Scottish). I'm staying near Lindsborg, KS for the next few months, and have been meaning to go there and sketch and take pictures for the last two months. Maybe I will actually get out and go after seeing your beautiful picture!

I spent the summer last year working in Claremont, NH - it is so beautiful up there!! I loved the mountains. I hope to get back to that area sometime.