Thursday, June 7, 2007

Great reads






Ok, today I book do reviews. Bought a bunch of books lately- getting ready for summer and feeling antsy to spend some money.












  • Fabric Leftovers-This is a great craft book if you are a fabric addict. She has some fun ideas to use up your scraps like cute purses and beads and tassles to name a few. Its very collage style- which appeals to me. All you need for some of these projects is some cloth rug backing and your sewign machine. I need to go check Joanne's Fabrics of Portsmouth Fabric store (a dreamy place) to see if I can find some for fun summer purse projects. PLus there's cloth flowers and other bags! Its a good jump start book to let your own creativity take you far. Check it out!
  • Also bought the Micheal deMeng book- The Secret of Rusty Objects. Although I can't see me doing a lot of these projects, it got great tips for using those yard sale treasures. Its also a beautiful book and worth a read if you're into the art scene. I haven't finished my purusing of this book yet, but I don't regret buying it- so it may be exactly what you would like. Check it out!

  • Now the travel bug side of me. 1,000 Places to See Before You Die, USA and Canada. The first book- 1,000 Places to See Before You Die- was good, but so big it seems to often only cover really obvious spots. It was a fun read/skim book, and although if you travel you know there are many hidden treasures these books can't list. But the USA and Canada book, being more specific, is really good and really hits lots of the top spots. Definately recommend!

  • Undiscovered America- 250 Places you might have missed by Don and Betty Woo Martin is also a fun book. It mentions some popular places, but mentions also those places that everybody doesn't go to (or didn't before the book) that are really worth it- even Bangor, Maine and some of the Museums at my alma mater-UMO.

  • Lastly- I am reading Cross Country by Robert Sullivan and I am really loving this book. Its about driving home to NY from Oregon in 5 days, but making a few stops at unique and interesting places. Its also recounting other cross country trips, both by the author and people like Emily Post (way back when and now I want to get and check out this book)). Its not neccesarily a get to know this family really well book, but I feel like I know them well enough in a broad sterotypical sense to smile a lot, and I really enjoy the way Sullivan hones in on the "issues" of a big road trip- food, the radio, how long you stay at places, rain, packing, car rentals...etc. I also know some places I now want to explore that I didn't know existed or weren't high on my to visit list before. Its not a heavy read- and its making me want to do a big road trip- (I love road trips- love riding in the car- maybe explains why I drive 45 minutes each way to work each day).

    That's my book reviews for now! Happy Reading all- whatvere you chose.










No comments: