Tuesday, March 9, 2010

One really cool bridge in France

Roman Aquaduct actually.

Voila le Pont du Gard. Il est tres grand. TRES GRAND! Voila Dave et Katie aussi.
Not the best photo, especially Dave's expression I must say.

I was totally amazed by how big this bridge actually was, and they say some of it is no longer standing.

You can see you can walk along it, and I guess in the summer you can go higher, but we hit it very off season, most of the buildings on the grounds were closed.
We did walk across it.

And I saw this very cool shadow of it in the Gard river.

And there is carvings/grafitti in the stone. This is so well done I think its more a sign of someone who did some work on the bridge.
But this is old grafitti.
This was a great stop, and it was beautiful out so it was a great place to walk for awhile.
Kind of like today at home, only we have a chilly breeze which we didn't have at the Pont du Gard. Our snow is melting away too (no snow in France when we were there-only snow was on the Pyrenees), not totally gone, but much of it is. Got to love the spring, until we get our next storm.

1 comment:

Stevenson Q said...

Oh dearest Erika! these are the parts of France I would so love to see but yes, I was only able to visit Paris. Hope I can see more of France someday! Would love to visit that aquaduct!