Sunday, October 2, 2011

October 2- a cloudy Sunday

Yesterday was a dark and wet day. Good day for a long nap on the couch...which I did after my BIG lunch with my friend Vicky...we went to a local fried seafood place  and I finally had some fried clams AND a big piece of pumpkin pie with whipped cream-mmmmm-haven't had pumpkin pie since the holidays last winter and it was SOOOO tasty...oumpkin pie is such a fall taste-it wouldn't be anywhere near as good during the spring or summer. And since it is now fall...with all the rain the leaves are coming down...I don't think the color this year is going to be very fantastic...things seem to be yellow and falling. No spectacular colors yet at least.
This photo is from a couple of weeks ago...a lone pretty leaf...actually I quite like the contrast of the single leaf on the very textural but neutral pavement.
I'm still enjoying this dark weekend...relaxing...but still mildly productive...just what I need right now to recharge my soul and my brain. My only goal is to finish reading my Sookie Stackhouse short story- 100 pages you'd think I'd have been able to finish it over the past week but I didn't. Time to move on to another book so it is time to finish reading.
So been thinking about my February vacation...have any of you ever been to New Mexico? I want to go southwest (since Europe is out of the budget right now...I can fly 2 of us roundtrip to the west for the cost of  1 of us to Europe...at least) and want to go someplace new...another state to cross off the list....but we will see.  I really financially should just sit home...but nah...that sounds so unappealing to me.
So time for some Halloween!!!!!
I'm up to 21 cards....having so much fun playing with my Halloween bin of stamps...I use them only for short period of time each year so when I pull them out it is so much like getting a bunch of ner stamps.
So this is a good warning for the up-coming season. I used a brown card but layered a grey piece of cardstock on the right. I used the same make of cardstock (Coordinations) so they would match and be the same weight. I stamped the spider webs on 3 of the corners (Character Constructions) with black ink. I stamped the dancing skeleton (might be Stamp Francisco...it's a stamp I got in a set on eBay a long time ago) in white Memories pigment ink-love this brand for white ink...I've had this pad for like 10 years and it is still going strong. The 3 spiders are all from Martha Stewart, and are black embossed...The hanging spider I drew in the piece of webbing.  Then I stamped the word (Martha Stewart) in Versamark and I LOVE how it embossed. I started by shaking on just a bit of black embossing powder on the top and then added the red glitter powder on the bottom.I love the 2 color look.
So here's the card I made from the other half of the cardstock I used above (cutting a 12x12 sheet). Anyhow, I started by stamping the owl image (Northwoods) in black in on white paper and colored it with markers. Then I embossed some acetate with Tim Holtz/Sizzix's spider web embossing folder. I cut out the acetate just to the size of the owl image and attached the 2.  Before I attached the image I brushed a bit of black ink on the cardstcok. Once attached, I added the spooky word (Close to the Heart) and then I cut out the saying from a new Memory Box stamp and cut the saying into individual words. I actually stamped the words in white paper which I grungily colored with yellow markers and distressed with a tad of ochre colored ink.  Finally I glued down some back oak leaves-these are from a pack of Martha Stewart confetti I bought a few years back.
So here's the Memory Box stamp I used for the yellow saying on the owl card:
G1802 
These are great phrases I think. I used the spooky forests saying on the card I showed you yesterday with the howling wolf. I just stamped the whole set (since it is a single woodblock stamp) and cut out the sayings I want. Love it.
Thanks for visiting!
And Happy Sunday.


No comments: