Monday, September 10, 2012

A Day in the Happy Place

Kind of sad the weekend is over, already. I think this will be a LONG week since I have both a dentist appointment one day after school and parent's night on Thursday-which makes a really long day since it doesn't end until 8 pm. Plus, it is the first 5 day week.
But I am going to look on the bright side.
I get paid on Friday-finally...no school checks since last June.
And
Parent's night will be over until second semester-most likely the other one of the year will be in February.
So this past weekend was fabulous. Saturday morning I spent 2 hours playing in my studio and yesterday I vanished into my happy place for a huge chunk of the day. I started by painting/stenciling some deli wraps for some fall/Halloween projects and then I experimented with some more cards for Katie. Plus I did a few other small prep activities for some fall projects that I have on my list.
So here's a couple of the cards I made.
This is actually a birthday card for my niece. A simple but cheery card for a girl who's going to turn 17. I got a couple of these Sizzix word dies from their on-line outlet a while back. I cut the wish word in pink and then die cut an oval. I trimmed the word down to fit the oval, added a few die cut hearts from this pretty vibrant paper and then stamped a Technique Tuesday word. Inside it says Happy Birthday.
You know, I have problems making birthday cards for people. For some reason, I make horrible birthday cards. I don't know if I try to add too much onto the card or what it is. Plus I hate to spend tons of time making cards for people who most likely just toss them away after the event is over. Kind of bothers me. I do know people who enjoy my home made cards and appreciate them, but I don't think my niece, as great a kids as she is, is one of those appreciative ones.
But I do like this card, it is bright and cheery and birthday like...even if it isn't any great artistic endeavor.
This probably looks very similar, but here's a card for my daughter.
This time I die cut the word love out of the same pink paper, but left the paper rectangle intact.
I attached it to the card base and then colored in the letters of the love word and then colored the inner space with a white pen. Gives it a bit of a carved out look which I like. Then I used the same paper to die cut the hearts but used white gesso on them, afterwards they got a bit of a spray with some red Dylusions spray ink. 
I think this card has a bit more depth than the birthday card. It still may not be lots of layering and lots of artistic details, but I still really like it. Here's the hearts up close.
I really like how the heart looks.
That's my "art" for today.
Have a great Monday.



No comments: