Friday, January 9, 2015

Revisiting

I posted this little guy last fall.
 I kept looking at him and looking at him. Then I decided he wasn't really making me happy.
This piece still still needed something!
It wasn't a paint over-
he had potential!
This little guy just needed a little more TLC.
So I worked on the eyes.
I got those worked out now!
Yes, that feels like such an accomplishment.
And  I worked on the feathers.
I still need a little more time there- since right now he looks more like a fluffy chick than an owl. By layering multiple colors and scribbling with a black Stabilo pencil, plus doing some rubbing off of damp paint, I managed to get this cool  colored texture. I like that.
I learned a lot about using how different shaped brushes work too.
I've always just painted without really seeing how each style brush works, Some of that was just a reflex...you know, a big flat brush is good for big flat areas, but what I didn't know was how you could blend wet paint differently by using different tipped brushes.
I'm sure you know all this, but I am still learning as I go.

What else is new with you? We are in the deep freeze here.  Colder than we usually get. Yesterday our temperatures were well below zero (degrees Fahrenheit). We hit -11 yesterday, which is almost -24 Celsius.   With a wind.
BRRRRRRR!
71 days until spring!
Those days won't go by fast enough.
I am linking this to Paint Party Friday. Stop by and check out all the great art.
And thanks for stopping by and visiting my blog too!






11 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Love your owl, he looks so cuddly! It's wet, wild and windy over here! Good crafting time....Valerie

Geckostone said...

Love them both old and new, so sweet. I love owls anyway!

GlorV1 said...

Oh I love your owl! His eyes are darling. It's cold here too but not as cold as where you are at. Have a great day.

Linda Kunsman said...

awe-he looks like a baby owl and I think he's adorable! Love what you've done to him. Playing with brushes is a lot of fun. Once I got rid of my fear of using a fan brush I have found that I quite like it!

Faye said...

I love your little owl. He is so sweet. Happy New Year!

sharon said...

Your owl is so cute!

Giggles said...

Your owl is adorable and his eyes just pop!! Good job!! So sweet!

Hugs Giggles

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

Your owl is a cutie! I don't think an artist should ever stop exploring the possibilities available with his tools and media, or his/her artwork may become stagnant. Therefore, I'm glad you are becoming aware of what your different paintbrushes can do. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Happy art journey!

sheila 77 said...

I like them both equally but it's good to take a a painting further if you think it's not quite finished.
He looks as if he is wide-awake now and maybe more three-dimensional with his fluffy feathers.
Lucky you having snow, we just get flurries then it disappears.

SLScheibe said...

Awwww! He's super adorable! What a cutie :)

Abigail Davidson said...

That texture is beautiful! Such a sweet owl!