Friday, October 28, 2016

In the Night

Happy Friday everyone! This has been a busy week at work for me, although it was just the usual work things, nothing unusual. My classes have big tests today, and then midterm exams are next week so the kids are a little stressed. Of course some of them are their own worst enemies not doing what they needed to do , so they are keeping me busy hoping I will excuse them from something or allow them to play catch up. Some of those kids have legitimate reasons, but some of them aren't getting much sympathy. And then they are wanting help to get ready for today's test. Its the end of the quarter so they are worried about their grades.
So I've had a lot of evening art time this week to relax. My daughter has gone off to Florida with some friends, so on the nights my husband has dialysis it is pretty quiet. I have  done some playing, lots of painting, and really need to do a bit of cleaning in my happy space. :)

I made this owl without doing any sketching or planning. I really just wanted to try to make a flying owl and didn't really care what he ended up looking like. It was all big art experiment. I thought the dark Gelli printed background would be a good place to try since owls are flying around in the night.

I also decided that I was going to take my  owl outline (which looks like a kid drew him), and without too much fuss add feathers to him.
I must say I am really happy with the finished spontaneous results. It was a pleasant surprise (especially after looking at how he started)  and I learned a bit too. :)
I am linking up to Paint Party Friday. Thank you Kristen and Eva for hosting this great place to spotlight our art.

Any fun weekend plans? Mine is wide open but tomorrow is the hubby's birthday so I told him we could what he wants to do for the day. Let's see if he thinks of anything or even wants to do anything. :) Its not looking like great weather this weekend, clouds and some rain, but in another way its great weather to relax since next week the kids have midterm exams and they will keep me on my toes too. Plus, fingers crossed, maybe surgery for my hubby at the end of the week.
Have a great weekend everyone.
And as always, I appreciate you stopping by for a visit.


23 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Your owls are gorgeous, glad you had some playtime. that's always a good thing! Hugs, Valerie

sirkkis said...

What a stunning, expressive owl.
Happy Weekend ❤

Linda Kunsman said...

what a sweet owl! Great job with spontaneity. Happy birthday to hubby and happy weekend!

Nordljus said...

I'm glad that you are able to sit down and make art in the evenings to switch off and relax. I think I would be too tired and just end up in front of the tv. But making art is definitely better. Your did a great job with your owl! So sweet! Happy birthday to your hubby, hope you'll have a great weekend!

Faye said...

Great owl, Erika. I love the background too. Hope your dh is doing OK for now. I can understand the angst of the students at test time. I still remember, decades later, how I felt.

denthe said...

That owl looks happy to have come alive on your page :-) Art is a perfect way to relax and get rid of stress...

Meggymay said...

Fabulous owls, playtime is good and a super way to relax and forget the stresses of the day.
Have a good weekend.
Yvonne xx

Christine said...

Nice owl!

minnemie said...

Oh I do hope your husband's surgery comes through... I love your owls - GREAT backgrounds!

froebelsternchen said...

He turned out reall super ! I love his feathers and eyes!
Happy weekend and

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your hubby!
Fingers crossed for the start if the surgery- that it will happen at the end of the next week!
REALY and celebrate my friend!

Here everything o.k. -
the same weather as in your region I guess and we will have nice guest tomorrow so somer preparations are to do!

oxo Susi

Gillena Cox said...

Owl turned out quite good


much love...

start941 said...

Erika, your owls are delightful. I have found recently that art is a great escape when I have a lot on my plate. Positive thoughts coming your way. Happy PPF

artbyjune said...

Owl turned out fabulous!

Sandy said...

I love following you - I don't always have time to comment but I do like your creativity!
Sandy xx

DVArtist said...

I love owls and yours is just adorable. Sending you and your husband healing love and light.

Anonymous said...

Well isn't he just adorable, he can fly my way anytime. xox

Irene Rafael said...

Both owls are charming! Have a fun celebration and best of luck with your husband's health!
~~ Irene

Laney said...

Oh I love your owl! And I really enjoyed seeing how he started - it's always fun to see the process. Hope things go well for your husband next week.

Rike said...

This owl is fantastic!!

Little Artbee said...

A wonderful night time creation your sweet owl. I like it much.
Dear Greetings
Sabine

Granny Annie said...

Owl of the night
Taking flight
Looking for pickin's
Like one of my chickens:-)

Gibby Frogett said...

Love LOVE your owl - he's fabulous! Your Gelli background is great and it was nice to see how he started and the difference in your beautiful finished piece. I love all the texture and details you added, including the claws and his wonderful expression.
Gill xx

Jeanie said...

I am so glad you have your happy place! And I love the owl. Gelli's do make the best backgrounds, don't they? It looks terrific!

Hope your weekend was terrific!