Monday, February 13, 2017

Happy Valentine's Day

Happy Tuesday T Gang ladies and anyone else who stops by. :)
. The snow has finally ended here and now we are cleaning out from this big storm. This is definitely one of the biggest storm we've had in a couple of years.  We got a foot of snow, (30 centimeters) but its hard to tell with all the drifting. Not the fluffiest either, as my arms and shoulders are feeling it from doing some cleaning out today.
 But the dogs loved it.
 Especially Pete.
 Wish I could harness some of that energy and teach him to shovel. That would make my life easier. :)


Next snow is expected on Wednesday. They say it won't be as much as this storm though, but right now, even a dusting is going to be too much.

And Happy Valentine's Day.
 My husband and I don't really celebrate the day, but I like to make something special for him. This year I decided to try making a fancy cake.
I thought this heart cake on this cover was pretty cool. I  had picked up this cookbook last month on markdown and decided to give it a try for Valentine's day.
I did decide to make my heart solid colored rather than rainbow striped. I thought it would be a lot easier since this would be my first attempt at cake carving.
So last Thursday on my snow day home I baked my cake layers. I made 2 white layers and a red/pink layer for my heart.
I chilled the cake and on Saturday morning I  carved according to the instructions.
 Weird how this looks like it is popping out of the cake rather than going into the cake.

Then I frosted my layers and assembled the entire cake except for the final frosting.
Here's my crumb coat. I made  a Swiss meringue buttercream flavored with some strawberry extract.
Then on Sunday I put on my final frosting.
 I'd never piped these frosting roses before and I love them! The only problem was that I didn't have a big enough frosting bag while I piped. I had to fill it several times just to do the top, and so I decided it was easier to just put plain smoother frosting on the sides.
And then I added some strawberries to finish it off.
I think it looks bakery shelf ready. :)
Now I was REALLY curious how the inner heart worked.
OK, so it didn't. 
But the cake was yummy.
So for T for Tuesday, won't you share a slice with me? I'm having a glass of skim milk but I could make you a cup of coffee or tea, or even some ice water if you prefer.

The pink part does kind of look like half a heart here.  So maybe the heart shape wasn't a total bomb.
Stop by Elizabeth's blog, Altered Book Lover to see what the T Gang has been up and maybe even join in yourself.
Have a wonderful Valentine's Day everyone!

23 comments:

CJ Kennedy said...

I think you got more snow than we did. And we didn't get nearly as much snow as predicted. Last week was a foot and Sunday we only got 7 or 8 inches instead of another foot. Channel 7 is saying the Wed. storm is a fizzle. And temps over the weekend will be close to 50 yay!

Your cake is stunning. Almost too pretty to eat. Almost! (-; What beautiful roses! If you look at the rainbow heart cake, they have a huge slab taken out to see the heart. Maybe the slice wasn't big enough, but I can see the heart half in your slice. Kudos to you. Happy T and Valentine's Day

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I want to begin by saying your T post goes to my blog, not yours. I corrected it for you.

I thought your cake turned out great considering this was the first time you made it. I adore those roses, and am a BIG fan of fresh strawberries.

I was shocked at how much snow you had, but I've been watching and hoping all was well in your world. Of course, I forgot about Linda being in the middle of that mess until I saw her post. I think Patty got nothing but rain.

Your dogs are having a ball. What is it about dogs and snow? They seem to go crazy and often want to eat it, too. I saw that the snow you had was quite heavy in my areas, so I'm not surprised you were tired from shoveling. You should tell your hubby to buy you a snow blower to go with your new car (grin).

Thanks for sharing your snow photos, your truly inventive cake, and your milk with us for T this Tuesday. Yes, I'll have coffee, please, and I'll even bring my half and half, since skim milk is like drinking water in my world (grin).

Valerie-Jael said...

Oh my, what a fantastic cake, it looks GORGEOUS, yummy! Your dogs evidently enjoyed the snow very much, and it gave you some stay home time, too. Have a lovely T day, hugs, Valerie
PS the link on E's blog leads to her blog, not yours!

Rike said...

The dogs like the snow more than you, that's ok!
This is a very beautiful cake - I like the roses too! So much work to bake it - I am really not able to do this! The inner heart is a little out of shape, but it does not matter - it is a gift from your heart to your husband - I think he is much glad about it!
Happy Valentine's Day and Happy T Day!

johanna said...

your cake really Looks yummy - and remember, our REAL hearts do not have the shape of ♥, too! so it turned out perfect!
love the Dogs in the snow also.
happy t-day:)

Meggymay said...

Gosh that was a snow fall, your dogs do look like they are having fun.
I have an image in my mind with a snow shovel, but I think they would be finding some way to play with them.
Its a beautiful cake a shame to cut into it with all the gorgeous decorating.
The slice looks yummy and I'm sure you enjoyed making it as well as tasting it.
Happy T day
Yvonne xx

chrissie said...

What a lot of snow and we still haven't had any at all in our part of the UK just lots of darkness and rain but today it is sunny :)

Love the look of you beautiful cake and I bet it tasted amazing

Happy T Day

Love Chrissie xx

froebelsternchen said...

Oh my gosh! I instantly want to have a slice of this cake Erika!
You did a wonderful job, even though there is no heart shown - it looks absolutely fantastic and fancy and more than tempting to me!
Happy Valentine's Day and happy T-Day
and I am hoping for you that no more snow comes now... you got way too much I think!!!

ox♥xo

Susi

Lisca said...

I'm reaching for my sun glasses with so much white! Lol! You've had loadsa snow!
I am totally in awe of you making that cake! Very clever. Yes, the heart shape did come out once you sliced it. I am impressed. I hope your family were impresssed too.
Happy Valentine's T-Day,
Lisca

Linda Kunsman said...

Boy you really got hit with that snowstorm! Oh but how fun to see your pups having such a good time with it. Your cake has turned out gorgeous with your icing roses despite not getting the heart shape inside. I know how time consuming something like this is and I can't imagine what it would have taken to make the rainbow heart-yikes! Happy T day and enjoy your Valentine treat.

Claudia W | ImagesByCW said...

Isn't it the best to see a dog jump and run and have fun in the snow? I will never forget my dog doing so when I was a kid. So much honest fun...
I love the fact that you tried out something new with the cake and that you wanted to - and did! - do something special for your husband. It is the intent that counts and - the cake tasted good, so all is good in my mind. :)
Happy T-Day!

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, thats a lot of snow :-). Your dogs certainly looked like they were having so much fun and wouldn't it be great if you could harness their energy to help clear the snow ... lol :-). Your cake is spectacular and looks so delicious, the beautiful buttercream roses are amazing! Happy Valentine's T Day! J :-)

Sandy said...

Love the pictures of the snow and the dogs playing!
And your cake!!!!! Wow - delicious looking. Your roses are perfect!! I wish I could have a piece - YUM!!!!!
Sandy xx

Jeanie said...

Well, I think it looks fabulous! And delicious, what is what really counts. I wish I could make those beautiful roses. They're wonderful.

Happy Snow Day(s) and Valentine's Day! Sending love!

jinxxxygirl said...

Gosh i would love some of that snow Erika!!! I'd really like to so sleighriding...lol Not that i have the clothes for it... but i would go anyway... :) Pete sure does look like he's having fun!! Those roses on that cake are amazing!! And if you did that on your first try then i might have to give it a go...lo Happy happy T day! Hugs! deb

Dianne said...

wow, that's a really ambitious cake project! looks good to me...love those roses you put on the top! and yes, that's quite a lot of snow...isn't it time for Spring yet?! Happy T and Valentine's Day! ♥

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow! What a lot of snow! Well done for even attempting that cake - The decoration looked amazing! Happy T day! Chrisx

Carol said...

DANG! That's a lot of SNOW!!!! We have hardly had any this year and what did fall was always gone the next day if not the same day. For the first time at cake carving you did pretty good... just keep practicing and eating cakes :) Happy T DAY AND VALENTINE'S DAY!!!!!

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm a bit jealous of your snow. Looks like such fun!

I didn't make it to T Tuesday this week, but if there's any of that gorgeous cake left I'll have a piece thx :)

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

Wow - that was a lot of work, Emma! The roses are fabulous and I love the height of the cake. Too bad about the inner heart. But I don't think any of the lucky people who get a slice of that cake will be disappointed at all ;-)

Don't you just love watching your dogs romp in the snow? It almost makes the shoveling worth it. Almost, I said - lol.

Happy T Day! Hugs, Eileen

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

Duh - I meant Erika of course.

Gibby Frogett said...

aww your dogs certainly were having fun in the snow.
That's one magnificent scrumptious looking cake! The roses are awesome - sorry the heart didn't go to plan after all your hard work - I wonder why... even so, I bet everyone loved it :)
Gill xx

Karla B said...

How lovely is to see your furry friends in the snow, Erika! Love your amazing cake. I wish I could have a piece;Thanks so much for always leaving me your comments.You are a kind woman!Happy belated T Day, my friend!!