Saturday, February 4, 2017

Road Trip Saturday

 It was a cold but a beautiful sunny Saturday here in my neck of the woods. A good day to go exploring, especially since I just got a new car this past week. :) 
My 11 year old VW has 243,000 miles on it (391071 kilometeres), and my hubby was sick of driving his gas  guzzling truck all the time, so I got a new set of wheels and he is going to drive my old car for awhile. 
My new car is already dirty from having to drive in the snow the other day to work.
Anyhow I wanted to take the new vehicle on a good long ride, so the 3 of us set off on a road trip.
It was too cold for a beach walk, and lots of places we thought of visiting were still closed for the winter. No one seemed interested in art other than me, so we chose to visit another presidential library down in Boston. We're all a little nerdy.
It was a great places to visit.
The views of Boston Harbor were amazing.  Too bad it was too cold to walk around the outside of the building, but this shot was taken inside through this huge glass atrium.
As you can see.
They set the stage with some items from the time period-1960.

The toaster and one of the coffee pots in the top photo were just like we had in my house when I was growing up. We also had the exact radio in the middle and the alarm clock in the middle.
 A dress from the campaign and below, the Fitzgerald family bible that JFK used during his inauguration. 

 One of his briefing files and a replica of his desk.
 And his notes from the famous speech he made in Berlin-when it was West Berlin.
And a replica of the election results board from the 1960 election.

So many things to see. 
Hope you enjoyed my views today. I took some other photos, but you'll have to wait for those.  
I enjoyed driving my car, and now, I'm planning on an art Sunday and going to watch the big game with some friends who live nearby. 
Go Pats!

12 comments:

CJ Kennedy said...

The Kennedy museum is amazing. Love the photo of the Resolute Desk. I remember news programs showing toddler John John peeking through open panels of the desk.

Many happy miles in your new wheels. and Go Pats!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

How awesome that you got a new car. Lucky you. And your first long trip was to see the Kennedy Library and museum. What a treat. Guess I'm a bit nerdy, too, because this would have made me smile. I'm a HUGE history buff, and this really appealed to me. I can't wait to see more! Thanks for sharing these.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Forgot to mention. Have fun with your friends as you watch the game tomorrow.

Valerie-Jael said...

Congrats on your lovely new car, have fun driving. Glad you had such a fun trip, too, I would have loved to see that place. We had the same radio as the middle one, too, that was universal sixties style. I had a photo of my mum standing with her radio....Happy Sunday, hugs, Valerie

Meggymay said...

Just been having a catch up and enjoying reading your posts I have missed.
Your new car looks great, I'm sure you will like using it.
The Kennedy museum looks an interesting place to visit.
Yvonne xx

Jeanie said...

First of all, congratulations on your new car! WAY COOL! And what a good way to break it in. I would LOVE to visit this museum. It looks fascinating -- great photos. And I'm very intrigued with Kennedy, the period, perhaps because I was just becoming aware of a world outside my grade school when he was assassinated. I was in seventh grade. The family is fascinating -- a little over the top but fascinating.

In your Gypsy comment (thank you!) you mentioned doing a museum a month. Whether you planned to or not, you've started!

Sandy said...

Loved your post - this is an amazing building!
Sandy xx

Krisha said...

Congrats on the new set of wheels!!! She's a beauty!
I loved all the photos of the Kennedy Library. Yep, we had all those things in our house too.

Divers and Sundry said...

The Clinton museum is the only one I've seen, but I'd love to go to more of them. Fascinating! The photos you took give me a good sense of what I'm missing. Thx! :)

Congrats on your new car. My old Honda needs replacing, but somehow it's been a hard process for me lol

froebelsternchen said...

Congrats on the new VW ! Cool to have a new car!!!
This are amazing photos of Boston --thank you!
We had similar things at home as I was a child.... lovely to see them!
Very interesting exhibition!
Have fun with the Superbowl!
oxo Susi

Sandra Cox said...

Ooh, nice wheels.
Love the inaugural address. And how exciting to go through the library and museum.
YOU have a wonderful Monday.

~*~Patty S said...

OH so interesting and cool.
What a lovely setting for the library too.
The words in the last photo gave me chills.
Oh to have a president again that we could be proud of and inspired by...sighhhhh
Thanks for sharing Erika!
oxo
p.s. enjoy that pretty new car!
Last month we turned in our diesal VW Jetta as they had a buy back option after getting snarled up with legal issues on fudging emissions. We replaced it with our first new American car: a Chevy Hybrid Malibu.
We had been loyal and happy VW owners since forever before that snaffu.