Hi everyone. Happy new week to you, and hello to everyone who stops by Bleubeard's and Elizabeth's blog for our weekly T Day.
Last week we had a lot of unsettled weather and days that looked unsettled but never rained. My long Labor Day weekend was great but not anything that exciting. The hubby and I had a Costco date, and we went mackerel fishing. (I caught 5 but I only take them home to eat ❤ if they don't survive in the wet well-otherwise they go back into the ocean.), and we did some chores around the house. As for my shoulder, physical therapy is helping, and it's gotten a lot better. I'm just trying not to overdue it until it is feeling 100%, or thereabouts.
As the post title says, today I'm looking back and celebrating what was a very good summer. I haven't traveled very far out of my regular area, but it's been a busy and fun season. Except for my shoulder, but that has made me relax a bit more and enjoy the summer weather. 😃
And yes, I know astronomical summer isn't exactly over, but it is meteorological autumn. Plus in my area Labor Day, Monday the 7th, marked the end of the usual summer tourist season. There's still tourists around, but now with all school back in session and the water temperature dropping off, it is definitely less crowded.
For T today I thought I'd share a few wrapping up summer photos and drinks from the last couple of weeks. Let me start with the lake at my mother-in-law's house on a beautiful day. I love the sun-ray coming through the trees.
A few weeks back the hubby and one of his brother-in-laws pulled out the swim raft.
Mr. Pete was probably sad the raft came out because I think he's now the only one who actually uses it. Well the ducks use it, and Pete likes to climb up the swim ladder and then roll in the duck poop. Meanwhile we all yell, "NO Pete." Not that it stops him. Grin. 😏 In reality we put it out there to keep boats from coming in too close to shore, but Pete does like to climb up on it (and roll in the poop too.)
Actually besides rolling in duck poop, Pete likes to "disappear"and hang out in the shade here.
It was a great gardening summer too. Well, maybe not exactly for this big garden in my yard. Once my shoulder was injured, I didn't get in it to do much work. I think from afar it looks good, but don't get too close or you'll see all the weeds. 😉

One day I did attempt to go in and do some one handed weeding. I managed to step into an invisible ant nest. They were all over the place, including on my ankles and shoes. That was it for my weeding that day. I hosed down my shoes and ankles to de-ant myself. 😮
But not all gardening was good this year. Here's my basil in early September. The seeds hardly grew this year. I'm wondering if I should have put them on my deck where it's warmer, as I know basil likes it warm.

I had also bought a bag of giant dahlia bulbs that never did anything. 😟 😖😭
But my cukes, zucchini, beans and tomatoes did very well. I've also picked 1 beet and (although small) some green sweet peppers.
I also dug up some mini potatoes too.
After 2 wet basement events (1 minor and 1 major), my husband built some new narrow shelves to hold the things that were sitting on the floor. He just finished the project this past weekend, and now we are finally getting the garage picked up since during the bigger flood a lot of things got moved out there.
All that work made me thirsty. Grin. Actually this next photo is from an afternoon at one of my friend's house when she had her annual "we don't have to go back to school" party in late August. (She has this party for a bunch of retired teachers and other retired school staff annually since retirement). This year's theme was lemon, so I had this lemon flavored drink.

There were also a few beautiful days boating on the ocean.
And a lunch out with my daughter and my husband. That was a half sized pistachio mud-slide that I tried. It was delicious. Like an alcoholic milkshake.
And finally, since this post is getting long, a pumpkin praline kiddie ice cream cone (and yes, it was kiddie sized this time) this past weekend.
It was the perfect way to wrap up the "summer" last holiday weekend.
Wishing everyone a happy T day and a nice week ahead.
Lovely wrap up of summer! Yummy ice cream!-Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry about your shoulder. It can get so frustrating not being able to do the things that you want to do. Your garden had ups and downs...similar to mine. I'm rethinking my gardening strategy. I enjoyed your photos!
ReplyDeleteThat picture of the sun ray at your mother-in-law's place is glorious! Glad to hear your shoulder is healing. You harvested some good looking veggies. I love sparkling water, so your San Pellegrino looks awesome. Happy T is for Tuesday!
ReplyDeleteThat pistachio mudslide sounds good. I am sorry about your giant dahlia bulbs not doing anything. But the rest of your garden did well. Happy T Dat.
ReplyDeleteOur summer was LOOOOOOOOOOONG gone...that's quite a harvest :-)) That sunray shot looks so beautiful.
ReplyDeleteErika, thanks for the wonderful shots, I found the drink very interesting :)))
ReplyDeleteLet's hope there will still be some good weather, a few days of rain and finally a cool down, but it won't be too bad, at least here in Slovenia.
Greetings to you, Andreja!
Oh, the lake, so wonderful!!!!
ReplyDeleteHihi, ants, yes, I am with you! Some SITAR some stories on the way.
And the ocean..... Sorry my answer is short, off to the doc and then hospital. Have a great T-Day, hugs
Yes, Summer seems to have reached it's conclusion here as well and much needed rain eventually arrived, not enough but a start.
ReplyDeleteSanpellegrino is popular here as well, hubby favours orange, only seems to have evolved in the UK in recent years but used to have at my friends in Italy many years ago.
B x
I'm so glad your shoulder is getting better. And slso that you see the positive side of having had to take it easy during the summer.
ReplyDeleteYour friend's 'not-going-back-to-school-party' made me smile. After more than 14 years of retirement I still get that feeling. It's truely something to celebrate. Your San Pellegrino looks lovely. I know the brand but I only know it as (very nice) mineral water.
I also had to smile at Pete rolling around in duck poop. I suppose he is 'retired' too. I mean getting on in age and taking it easy....
Wow, that is a lot of fresh produce! (What are cukes?) I love those little mini potatoes.
And that pistachio mudslide looks amazing. I am always in awe of cocktails. It's so American. In my local area I can get a G&T and that's about it. Of course it's different in the cities. I like an Aperol Spritz but I have never tried anything else. (Once I had a mocktail. That was nice too>)
Happy T-Day,
Lisca
Lovely reflections on a great summer. We spent yesterday at McGregor Provincial Park exploring nature. For us there is nothing better. We had intended to pick up a bottle of wine on the way home, forgetting that all the stores are closed on a National Holiday. Dinner was great anyway! All the best - David
ReplyDeletePS I've done some book reviews you might want to have a look at. (Even though you are having a blog break).
ReplyDeleteI'm sad to see summer finish, although I do love fall. I do love the back to school vibe of getting organized.
ReplyDeleteFor a bum shoulder you got quite a haul from your garden. Your lake pictures are making me think of my 2 Old Ladies on the Road trip to Winni. Summer is sad when it's over, but at least we have lovely memories. Happy T Day
ReplyDelete...the end of summer brings plenty of work. Be well. Erika.
ReplyDeleteMother in law has a house in a beautiful location. Summer in particular, but all year the views must be calling your name.
ReplyDeleteI love your summer photos. It's a wonderful snapshot (no pun intended) of all you have done this summer and it's quite a lot, considering that the shoulder slowed you down a bit. I bet your fish supper was wonderful! It's "falling up" here, too -- ferns are browning and I saw a tree that was mostly red last week. It's so quiet at the lake this weekend (and week). We came up Sunday, so may have missed most of the action, but still, very few boats or jet skis on the water on a beautiful Sunday afternoon. It should be a peaceful week to be north; then home and the rat race again begins!
ReplyDeleteThis is absolutely a fabulous way to wrap up a summer blog post. You were busy even with your shoulder. Your garden looks good. Sorry about the herbs and bulbs. However, all the good veggies you harvested is a joy for sure. I miss gardening. Anyway, all of your photos are fabulous and your drink looks very good. Glad your shoulder is getting better. Have a great day today.
ReplyDeleteDear Erika, your pictures and descriptions really do make it look & sound like you had a mostly pleasant summer (with a good harvest!). Only the shoulder issue doesn't sound so good. I know from experience – my right shoulder gave me trouble for years – I even had a frozen shoulder for months once. It's no fun. I can recommend that you look up some exercises online: Since I've been regularly doing shoulder circles and training my arm, back, and shoulder muscles, I haven't had any more problems. (Years ago, a doctor told me that surgery would be unavoidable. They all just want to make money ☹️😜.)
ReplyDeleteHehe, Pete and the duck poop 🤣. Well, I know several dogs who love to roll around in all kinds of poop, and when we went on the wolf walk, the wolf Tala enthusiastically rolled around in deer droppings. Yummy 🤪! After that, she wasn't a WHITE wolf anymore 😅.
Thanks for your lovely comment on my previous post - yes, we'll see if we get back to Canada or the USA... however, we're now at a stage in life where we prefer to travel closer to home (maybe with a few exceptions 😉).
Happy T-day!
All the best from Austria 🤗
Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2026/09/reisebericht-2025-okanagan-valley-lake.html
So sorry your shoulder didn't permit you to do everything you hoped to do this summer, but you still accomplished a lot. And all those veggies you got from your garden. Amazing. Thanks also for sharing your drink with us for T this Tuesday, dear friend.
ReplyDeleteI do like mackerel
ReplyDeleteSounds like you have had a wonderful summer Erika, though I'm really sorry your shoulder is still bugging you. And talking about bugs, did those ants bite? I know some do. Harvesting all those veggies is very impressive to me, as is that splendid shelf unit your husband built. He is very talented. Mr. Pete's antics gave me a chuckle too. All in all a very good summer and one I enjoyed learning about. Lovely to start having the cooler nights and mornings now. Have a wonderful September.
ReplyDeleteOverall, a lovely summer, looks like. It seems like just yesterday that you were wondering if it would ever arrive! Tourist season is slowing down here--we have a cruise ship docked in the harbor today with more people on it than live in the town. I think there's one more scheduled for next week and that'll be it for the year. I think the bus tours will wrap up at the end of the month. Glad your shoulder is improving!
ReplyDeleteSo pleased that the physical therapy is helping your shoulder, just take things steady and don't over do it!
ReplyDeleteThat looks a good harvest from the garden.
All the best Jan
Good to read that your shoulder is showing some improvement with the PT, Erika. Your end of summer weekend sounds like a good one and like yourselves we also stayed home. I liked the photo of sunlight coming through the trees at the lake.
ReplyDelete