Hi everyone. Happy last day of July. Today I am joining Nicole over at Friday Face Off and also Gillena over at Friday Lunch Break.
Last weekend we had a big family reunion with my husband's family from his Dad's side. All except 2 of the cousins came. The furthest came from California; there were a couple from Long Island (New York), one from Connecticut, his sister and nieces from Maine, us from New Hampshire and everyone else up from Massachusetts. I'm not sure what the final count of people was, but someone said 38 people because of course almost everyone brought significant others and many people brought not only their kids but also some grand-kids came too.
This plan started two years ago my husband's uncle passed away, and at the funeral everyone decided it was too bad the only time we saw people was when someone died. Plus, when you reach a certain age you realize that things can happen and change life way too fast, so it was the time to do this.
These are assorted photos that people shared. I only took a couple of these myself. AND I know you don't know these folk, but you can get the gist of the party. 😉 Plus there's tons of faces here too!




24 comments:
That's amazing! A couple of years ago, we went to a family funeral and we said exactly same thing that we met only when someone died..and we should keep contact in future..so everybody was trying hard to have a reunion in April, some cousin even bought the ticket and planned to fly from Iceland...at the end, a few of them said they couldn't make it..so, the reunion ended up cancelled...my husband was so disappointed.
This looks to have been a fun family gathering, Erika, and two years will go faster than you know before the next get together. Enjoy time with your visiting NC friend, blog reading and commenting can wait because some things are more important, like spending time together but then you already know this🙂
This brings back memories of the gatherings held at Nana's when I was a kid. She had 8 kids so there were a lot of people! Have a great time with your friend today!
Looks like everyone had a marvelous time!
...Erika, your place looks like party central, I'm sorry that I couldn't make it.
A wonderful reunion!-Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com
This looks like the best time! And all the faces are happy.
I need a vacation, so your virtual tour helped. Blessings!
Dear Erika, oh WOW, that really sounds like a big family reunion – and I think that's wonderful! I see so many happy faces, and I think you're a fun-loving bunch, right?
For a long time, I thought I would never be part of such a big family-celebration, because neither my husband nor I have such a large family. But when my mother became dependent on care, she was frequently visited by her cousin, and this branch of my family is quite large. Once contact was established, there have been regular family gatherings in various parts of the country. We've celebrated with all these lovely people many times now, but sadly, we've also had to attend funerals...
How are you all doing with the weather? Here, unfortunately, the next heatwave has just started 🥵... I hope it's not so hot where you are, so that people, animals, and plants don't suffer too much.
Thanks for your kind comments on my last two posts. I can certainly understand that you don't like it when bears raid your bird feeder 😜! As for the Nanaimo Bars—they were sweet, but not too sweet. It's probably best to make them yourself.
Hugs & all the best from Austria 🤗
Traude
The reunion looks like such a fun time. So cool that you had some many people from all over. Looks like a perfect day on the lake, too. Enjoy the time with your friends
Oh you crack me up. A photo of those stupid enough to marry into the family. All of the photos are fabulous. This is the way to have a family reunion. Laughter, good food, and making memories. What a joy. Thank you for sharing your home and family with FFO and have a fabulous weekend.
Looks like you had a great time! Where was it? At your mother-in-law's?
I have only ever attended one family reunion of my maternal grandmother's family. Her brother moved to Canada with 14 (!) children and 50 years later in the year 2000 they decided to organise a family reunion. My grandmother had died by then but my mother was still alive. She was too elderly to travel so I took her place. And I met almost all of her cousins whom she hadn't seen since her childhood. They were all living either in Alberta or British Columbia (Chilliwack). Some were cattle farmers, others were butchers. Anyway, Me and my husband enjoyed ourselves very much although it was a bit overwhelming meeting so many people (more than 120)....
Enjoy your weekend,
Lisca
You all had a great idea about starting these family reunions at the last funeral. Much happier times to celebrate for one thing, even though seeing people on any occasion find a bit of happy because of catching up. Photos are great, thanks for sharing them.
Enjoy your friend from North Carolina. No worries about visiting. Life and joy with family and friends should always come first :)
Nics photos, lovely faces
Have a good weekend
Thanks for linking to AFFF 220
Much love
How lovely, Erika! It looks like everyone had a great time. My mother's side of our family is getting together in Nova Scotia in about five weeks, but for a wedding, much better than only getting together for funerals. Here's to enjoying family. Have fun with your visiting friend!
It's always nice to have a big family get together.
Happy end of July. I can't believe August is here!
Since I am an "only" and the last of my family, I am in awe of large family gatherings. What a joyous reunion. Happy FFO and AFFF.
How fun to have such a big family reunion. It looks like you all had a wonderful time at a very beautiful location. Whenever we go to Germany we have a reunion with my husband's family, but mainly his parents and brothers and their families. Have a lovely Sunday, hugs - Carola
Did you know everyone? And enjoy their company?
We are having a big family reunion this year and I know my mum's first cousins and my second cousins, but no further than that.
Such a joyous post Erika so glad your family kept their promises to meet up, such commitment showing no matter the miles the love of a family is still there. More beautiful memories made to hold on too.. I hope this continues for many many more years to come.
Hugs Tracey xx
My family is very small but on Miriam’s side it is a veritable clan! We used to have a family gathering every spring, but I have to confess it was never my favourite thing. It came to a grinding halt during COVID and has never started up again. My preference is for two or three couples for dinner. I am not a fan of these huge groups. All the best - David
Looks like a great time was had by all. B x
Post a Comment