Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Good News

Yup, Tuesday's trip down to Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston was a success! My husband was cleared for kidney transplant surgery! 😀
He said when he walked back out into the waiting room and gave me the thumbs up, he could see the relief sweep across my face.
It was still early at this point, and we were in the city, and I really wanted to go see the Henri Matisse exhibit at the Museum of Fine Arts, and the hubby was in a good mood, so we went over  to the T station (The T is the Boston subway system), and headed over to the museum for a few hours.
The Matisse exhibit was wonderful, and I have photos to show you another day once I go through them. It was actually  a banner day at the museum because there were a couple of other amazing exhibits to see also.
More on those another day also. 
But while the hubby sat in a comfy chair and texted with our daughter, I disappeared for a little bit and went up to see the 4 Van Gogh paintings that the museum owns. I also got to see a couple of Gaugin's, Monet's and Renoir's. And a few other paintings too.
After just reading the book about Van Gogh's Ear (by Bernadette Murphy), I was curious to see in real life 2 of the paintings that she included in the book's color plates. 
(And Jeanie if you get around to reading this, I did see the Secrets of the Dead episode on PBS about this woman and how she found the info to describe what actually happened. I appreciate you mentioning it.:)
The people in these portraits were described in the book as his friends in Arles, France.

 This is the postman, Joseph Roulin.
 Plus there were 2 other Van Gogh's which I was not familiar with.

It was cool to see the stylistic differences between different painters of that era and those of Matisse.
It was a good day, for sure.
I hope you had a good day too, and you have a good day today too. (Or tomorrow, if you re reading this in the evening/night.)
Thanks for stopping by for a visit.



9 comments:

froebelsternchen said...

YEAHHHH!
Great to hear that - I am so happy for you!
GREAT!!!
I said that all will be good - I was right!!! I am nearly always right!YES!

What a pleasure must this have been to see this originals! Fantastic! Looking forward to more photos from the exhibition there!
Thank you for sharing this pictures and the good news that make me really happy to know!
oxo
Susi

Valerie-Jael said...

Congratulations on the GREAT news, I am so happy for you both. How lovely to go to such a wonderful art museum, I am looking forward to seeing lots more photos! Have a nice day, hugs, Valerie

CJ Kennedy said...

So glad for good news and a trip to the MFA to celebrate. Did you also get to see the Boticelli?

Roberta Warshaw said...

I wish you both all the best in the upcoming days.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

SO happy for you. Great news about the operation.

The last Van Gogh is from his time in Arles and these were Arles houses. He painted it toward the end of his life, but I forget the actual name of it. I have three books on Van Gogh, so when I have time, I'll look it up. One book has every drawing, painting, and sketch he ever made. I look forward to seeing your other photos, too. Obviously, Van Gogh is my favorite of all the Impressionists.

Hope you are now sighing in relief and now can look forward to this being the end of your school year.

Divers and Sundry said...

Congrats on the great medical news! And thank you for sharing your art gallery trip. There's just nothing like seeing them in person, but reading first-hand reports comes close :)

Meggymay said...

Wonderful news, you must be both so relieved that you are now on track for the transplant.
It must have been a super gallery to visit to see the artists work up close and not in a book.
Take care of yourselves.
Yvonne xx

Jeanie said...

Oh, I am just THRILLED that the transplant is on! Please keep us posted on the details, dates, etc.

I love your gallery visit as I mentioned in the last photo and hope you keep showing more photos. I'm wondering if the postman is on loan from Detroit. I've seen it somewhere in person before but can't remember if there, Chicago or Paris. And it might have been on loan then.

And yes, I'm sort of back to a regular reading schedule! Glad you saw Secrets of the Dead. I thought that was fascinating. Like you, I'd like to read the book.

Sandy said...

That is pretty fantastic news!!! Erika, you must keep us all posted.
Van Gogh is my absolute favorite and anyone lucky enough to see his art work in person, knows why he is so renown. Emotion really flows off his canvas.
sandy xx