Thursday, December 14, 2017

Christmas Stories

So see that very primitive styrofoam head ornament on my tree (nestled among the santa and nutcrackers)? It's the oldest piece of my art I have. We named him beady man and I made him back in nursery school (now called pre-school) back in the day.  We always have a laugh about him and make a joke that beady man has made it on the tree again-he's been hanging on one for over 50 years.  I must say he might be ugly but he's very special to me.
Every year I pick up ornaments for the hubby and my daughter that have some meaning for them. They aren't quite as beautiful as beady man though.
Those of you who watch Doctor Who may noticed this dalek is going to exterminate Santa. It wasn't hung this way on purpose, but I noticed it and it gave me a laugh.
Time to call in the doctor. :)
And this gorgeous quiltlet was a gift from an artistic friend. You know who you are, and it has the honor of hanging on my tree! Smile.
The daughter is a huge Snoopy fan, and the kitty up to the left was a gift from my MIL when I had my orange cat. She buys expensive ornaments and I buy bargain ones.
And my husband is definitely an eeyore from Winnie the Pooh. 
 And this Victorian cone is a more recent art project of mine.
 And some old glass ornaments that hung on my parent's tree. When my mom stopped putting up a tree she shared her things.
I think Christmas trees are a great way to tell a family story. Don't you?
Hope you are have, or are having, a wonderful day.

13 comments:

pearshapedcrafting said...

Yes, Christmas trees certainly do tell stories! Mine has ornaments bought with my children, ornaments made both by myself and gifted from friends and also ornaments from trips to other places - a reminder of our travels! Your tree looks wonderful and full of lovely memories! Hugs, Chrisx

CJ Kennedy said...

I love the ornaments on your tree. How cool that you still have Beady Man. I'm sure we must have made things in school, but Ma was not sentimental too keep those things. The earliest ornament of mine I have are ornaments that were made for me by a friend when I was 15 yrs old. I love the Doctor Who ornaments (Doctor Who. Never Dr. Who. His name isn't Dr. Who. The title is a running gag as in Who is he? Who? The Doctor. Doctor Who?) The mix of expensive, bargain, and home-made ornaments give the Christmas tree its charm and tells the story. My tree isn't up yet. Maybe this weekend. Though I'm happy with my little Advent tree as taking it down will be an easy clean-up. =^,.^=

Dortesjs said...

beautiful gifts and beautiful tree ;O)) Merry christmas to you

Valerie-Jael said...

Love all the ornaments on your gorgeous tree. Your home made head has been with you so long, great to have memories like this. And I've never seen Dr Who ornaments before, love them. Enjoy your day, hugs, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

Oh yes indeed - our christmas ornaments say a lot about us - and tell a nice story!
I love that you even have a pre-school made thing of your own - I just have some pieces my daughter and I made as she was in kindergarden. Love how you pay tribute to ELizabeth's beautiful quiltlet and all the collected pieces of your family!
LOVELY!!!!

Jeanie said...

Your tree is like mine. It reflects all the love of our past experiences, the gifts of friends, creativity and family. It's the very best kind of tree and I just love every single thing you showed!

Meggymay said...

Your Christmas tree looks wonderful Erika. Its good to see your special decorations, you must have so many happy memories when you hang them on the tree.
Yvonne xx

Let's Art Journal said...

Such beautiful Christmas tree ornaments! I loved taking a trip down memory lane with you and the darlek really made me smile 😁. Thanks for sharing and wishing you a very Happy Friday and Weekend! J 😊

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

OMGosh. I have one of those rattan(?) hearts like yours. I don't put it on a tree because I don't have one to put it on anymore, but it sure brought back memories. And so glad the quiltlet made by a certain someone (grin) made it to your tree, too. LOVE the dalek and the Tardis, too.

You asked if the Paintstiks were like oil pastels. Not at all. They are genuine oil paint, only in stick form. And they form that film to protect the oil paint. Just thought you would like to know. And thanks again, for adding the quiltlet to the tree.

Divers and Sundry said...

I love having ornaments from my childhood still on the tree, and I enjoy ornaments that relate to personal interests. Your tree is just my style :) Enjoy those memories :)

Let's Art Journal said...

Thanks so much for your lovely comments on my blog! Yes Figgy pudding is a type of Christmas pudding which was originally made with figs. I should have guessed that Christmas pudding was more of a English thing ...lol 😀 ... so I've now added some facts about Christmas pudding to my blog, thanks! J x

craftytrog said...

Beautiful decorations Erika! I love the Dr Who ones, I'm a big fan!
I love your Christmas header collage too, it's gorgeous!
Happy Friday!
Alison xox

Rita said...

I do so love a tree that tells a story...or several stories. ;)