Friday, January 23, 2015

Colorful and Bright



 I am glad it is Friday even though it wasn't  terrible week for me. I had last Monday off and then we've wrapped up the semester at school. Time for a little change, and today my new classes begin. Kind of nice to have them begin on a Friday, so I can see their bright smiling faces (ha-ha) for a day before we have to dive into the work next week..
So I've been busy cleaning up and reorganizing my work space during my free time, and then when I get sick of cleaning I sit down and play with some paint. I'm all about color right now. 
This page went through some evolutions before I ended up with this page. I started with one design but then I thought it needed some dark contrast so I stenciled the black, which didn't quite work the way I wanted. Luckily I found this black paper frame and this smiling flapper, and I think that helps cover up the black that I didn't like.
The beauty of a journal page is that it doesn't need to be a perfect finished piece of art! But I do really like the lady in the frame and the painted lettering over the frame. Nice depth!!!! And my squiggly roses and the blue-ish border. There's nothing worse in the personal arty world than making a page you absolutely dislike. At least for me. (Although I must admit making an ugly page is usually a good learning experience.)
I also spent a little time painting some backgrounds for cards. Then I used some old Cornish Heritage Farm background stamps I've had forever to put a little black design on them.
You can see I've been favoring these reds, maroons and pinks lately.
So does anyone have any big plans for the weekend? I've got a hockey game to go to tomorrow night. Should be exciting since we're playing our rivals. I'm also hoping to paint the wall where I want to put my new bookshelves, but who knows. it seems so easy to make plans and then have the weekend fly right by so fast those plans don't get accomplished.
Thanks for stopping by my blog, and be sure you check out Paint Party Friday for all the great artists and their creations.



19 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Love your work, and all those lovely reds and pinks! Have a fun weekend, Valerie

Özge Başağaç said...

Hello there. I have visited your previous posts and i liked your cards as well as journal pages.These new red backgrounds look lovely.They just provide the necessary warmth on these cold days.Happy PPF :)

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

I love the intensity and warmth of your color papers, as well as the rich patterns that come through. Starting on a Friday could definitely be a fun way to start a school semester. I have a training this weekend and several school papers to write, so I'm not sure how much art time I will have. Blessings!

Geckostone said...

Yay, color,color,color, I love it!!!!

GlorV1 said...

Awesome colors in your journal pages. Painting is always a way to feel relaxation. Nice job.

SLScheibe said...

Beautiful! I always love vintage style mixed media art. I think your swirly little roses are awesome :)

kat said...

Such lovely warm colours, a beautiful piece!

Linda Kunsman said...

hey you-congrats on having your art grace this week's PPF!! This is wonderful- I love that frame for this to tone back all the color and of course, I have always loved vintage images. Your backgrounds for your cards are fantastic!!

Linda Kunsman said...

Pleas discard my first comment. Yet again I posted the wrong mssg. to the wrong person. However, I do love your collage. that frame perfectly offsets all the color and I have always loved vintage images. Your painted background cards are fantastic!Enjoy your weekend.

Anonymous said...

those are great card backgrounds! I have to prep some more cards myself - I think I used the last one for a baby shower recently. (The baby is being named Elvis - Elvis Alexander [last name] - so I traced a silhouette of Elvis onto a blue brayered background)

Happy PPF!

Christine said...

Lovely mixed media piece!

Giggles said...

Love the colour and flapper girl and your prepped card are wonderful too!! Great contribution! Have fun at the hockey game!!

Hugs Giggles

Clare Lloyd said...

Fab project, such great colours

Unknown said...

Hi Erika,
Such beautiful colored papers,and very fun collage pieces. I enjoyed visiting your blog today, and thanks for stopping bye mine and leaving a comment. ;)

ColourFly said...

Love the colors!!! Happy PPF!

minnemie said...

Lovely colors and textures!

EVA said...

Fun! Lovely colour choices too.

hope 2015 is a great year of new tings in your life, of FIRSTS!

Sirkka said...

Lovely colours in your work! Red is my favourite colour so i like your card backgrounds very much!

Abigail Davidson said...

Lovely mix of patterns. It works so well together!