Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Scary and Spooky at TIOT

There's a great new theme at Try It On Tuesday. Its  Scary and Spooky.
I've been working on a Halloween journal for the last couple of years. I work on it in season, when I feel inspired, and then it gets put away until the next year. On this page I played with a couple of monster stencils I found on a mark down table. I also did a bit of stamping. And collaging of tissue paper and playing with paint.

Here's another page . This one I made last year, and then recently went back to and did some revising. I added the paper ephemera in the glasses and outlined the flowers. I think it really changed up the page and made it a little spookier because the eyes look so real.
The rest of this page is hand drawn/painted on a Gelli print. Except for the stamped little skeletons on the bottom and the Boo die cut on the top.
What I love about this journal is that is is a BIG old coffee table book-18 x 12 inches. I can do a lot on such a big page.
I need to keep my eyes open to find another book this size so I can add in some of "regular" lose art journal pages that I have. My pile is getting a bit high and it is time to neaten up the happy place which is a major mess right now.
Auuuugh.  But I do love a little mess in my happy place. Somehow, all those things I need to put away are out for me to use and are inspiring.
Hope you are inspired by today.
I'm g;ad you stopped by to visit.


11 comments:

sheila 77 said...

Lots of frightening spookiness here.
Those teeth and eyes!
I'm not sure which is more frightening, the man monster or the lady monster.
I like all the flowers and little skeletons and even the background looks a bit scary.

froebelsternchen said...

Both of the scarry pieces today are gorgeous! I love the colors of the first one especially!!! Great! My week is o.k. so far - alittle trouble with my bladder on Monday and after I drank nearly two liters of ginger tea to flush my bladder but that caused that I had the runs afterwords...uuuuuu...but now everthing is o.k. again - lol- thanks for your wishes Erika! Hope it's a good week for you as well and thanks a lot for joining us at Try It On Tueasday again! I think I must learn to love the mess on my workplace ... would be much easier for me.. it always makes me nervous... have to change my mind about mess -- you are just right: mess is inspiring!!!♥♥♥
oxo Susi

sirkkis said...

I got shivers here!! Well illustrated creepy pages, Erika.
Thank you for sharing with us at TioT.

Valerie-Jael said...

Fantastic, scary pages, just great. I love Halloween, and your album is a great idea. Thanks for scaring us at TIOT! Hugs, Valerie

Meggymay said...

Awesome scary pages, they are very welcome over at TioT's. Thank you for joining our Halloween fun.
Yvonne xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

It is wonderful that you got your Halloween book back out, because I think it was about that time I first "met" you. Golly, that clearance stencil is incredible. You did GREAT, and both pages fit the TioT theme so very well.

Hope you had a great Wednesday and have a super Thursday.

peggy gatto said...

Love skellie!!!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Ooooooh! Both of these are scary and brilliant at the same time! So pleased you joined us at Try It On Tuesday wit these! Chrisx

Jeanie said...

Love the idea of an oversized book to use as your journal. Very cool to have an ongoing theme!

Gibby Frogett said...

What a brilliant idea to have a journal dedicated to Halloween - love that!
Fabulous scary fun.. great bargain stencils.
I think the second piece has a 'day of the dead feel' about it which seems to be popular here in the UK as I've seen colouring books and rubber stamps sets for that. Love the eyes and all the little details on your piece.
'Little' mess yes - hate it when mine spills over on to the floor.
I spent last week making Christmas cards as it was starting to stress me that its getting that time of year again. Made 53 so far but still have all the 'insides' to trim and stamp message etc... mess (and chaos) everywhere :)
Gill xx

Mrs.B said...

Hi Erika, two fabulous journal pages - love the monster stencils - and those eyes - how spooky is that!
I love your comments about mess being inspiring - that's what I will think before I feel the need to tidy!
Thanks for sharing with us at TioT
Avril xx