Friday, June 26, 2026

The Art of Bee Keeping

 Hi everyone. I hope everyone had a great past week. Other than the morning I spent waiting on hold to talk to someone from the IRS for far too long (the tax people for those of you who aren't familiar with American taxes) and then they cut me off and told me to call back (let's just say I wasn't happy at that point), it  was  a good week for me. Today I am joining Nicole for Friday Face Off  and also Gillena for Friday Lunch Break.

   I also want to apologize if I didn't get by your blog. My last 2 posts were scheduled, and the days got quite busy, so I'm behind. 😖 But today I should (hopefully) be able to watch up. 🤞

   The other morning I did a bee hive check, and I know some of you are interested in them, so if that's you, here's some insect faces for you today.


    Above, you can see how successful the new hive is doing. Not just those on the top, but if you look down between the wooden frames,  you can see all the bees that are there also. 



 The next photo is when I first took the top off the hive. Since these bees are new to the hive, they don't have a huge store of honey to eat, so I put in one of these sugar/pollen patties that you can see. It's about 12 inches/about 30.5 cm square, and usually takes the bees several months to go through. (They go through it quicker in the winter when there is nothing in bloom than they do when there's things in bloom.) However, with no honey store these bees emptied that package in just over 2 weeks.


  My other hive, which was new last spring and made it through the winter, is going crazy making those odd shaped combs from where I left out  3 frames.  You can see the honey glistening in many of the cavities. That honey will be covered as you can see in the bottom left of this next photo. It's the white bumpy part.


   Later in the summer I will remove this comb and take the honey, although with all the work they've done, it does seem kind of mean, doesn't it? 


    This crazy comb is in the smaller upper box.  The next box down is filled with honey that the bees get to keep, and then the bottom box is filled with eggs and brood. This hive probably has in the ball park of 75,000 bees in it.






   This older hives of bees are NOT very interested in me when I open up the hive.  I do use a smoker and smoke them (it covers up their alarm pheromones to keep them from attacking), but very very few of them check me out. They just go about their business.  The new hive however is much more curious about me when I open the hive.  They buzz around me checking me out. 

   However, I haven't been stung for a couple of  years. And when I have been stung, it's been my own fault doing something dumb. The only thing you must do when you open the hive is be totally calm and not rushed. You'd be surprised how relaxing it can be  to open a hive full of stinging and buzzing insects and just to focus on them. 😏

   Some of you probably don't even want to read this post. Grin. I get it. 

   Have a great Friday and start to your weekend. 

   

24 comments:

Shari Burke said...

I'm glad your bees are doing so well! It's quite interesting to read about them. Enjoy your weekend!

Angie's Recipes said...

Those pollen patties did help. Did you also have to buy the combs? What are they made of? I wish I were brave and knowledgeable enough to keep bees...quite fascinating!

Lucimar da Silva Moreira said...

Erika que lindas as imagens das abelhas, eu apenas não gostaria de me aproximar delas, bom final de semana bjs.

The Rev. Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

Fascinating! I've always thought that being a bee keeper would be so rewarding. Blessings!

Lisca said...

Yes, I'm one of those interested in the bees. I find them fascinating. It does seem mean to take the honey away from the bees. If you didn't, what would the bees actually do with all that honey?
I'm glad the new bees (newbies?) are doing well. You are a good bee-mother.
The photos are great and the bees are truly beautiful.
Happy Friday,
Lisca

Carola Bartz said...

Erika, this is so interesting. I once "played" with the idea of keeping bees, but then I decided not to do it. And I don't even like honey! I was wondering the same thing as Lisca - what would the bees do with all the honey if you left it in the hive? From what you wrote I understand that you don't get into protective clothes when you open up the hive, but just use the smoker. I try to picture you with the smoker and 75000 bees buzzing around you.... :) Hugs - Carola

Kathylorraine said...

Good morning, I enjoyed seeing your bee hives again They look good. do you still have bees from last year> hoping so
Happy Thursday Kathy

DVArtist said...

Well, you know this is my favorite post from you. I love seeing the bees and your explanations of what is going on with them and how you care for the hives. With bees disappearing wold wide I give you all the kudos for doing your part for keeping them going. Thank you for sharing this beautiful post with FFO. Have a nice weekend.

Gillena Cox said...

You are awesome, Erika
Happy Friday
Thanks for linking to AFFF

much love

DeniseinVA said...

75,000 bees? Wow! I had a fun time reading your post, and literally studied each photo. Found this fascinating! thanks Erika.

Tom said...

...this must make you the Queen Bee Keeper!

Mary Kirkland said...

I've never known anyone who had bees. I get scared when I see them and will slowly walk the other way. As long as they stay away from me, I'm good. But it's interesting to learn more and surprising to hear you don't get stung more. It's good to know that they won't sting and attack the way a lot of people think they do.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I am simply thrilled you finally have two thriving hives. How wonderful. Fascinating to read and see all these marvelous photos. Happy FFO and AFFF.

an artist reflects said...

Wow! So fascinating ~ delightful post and photos ~ Hugs ^_^

Lowcarb team member said...

So pleased your bees are doing well ... I don't think it's something I could do ... but I do enjoy your posts.

Have a happy weekend.

All the best Jan

Veronica Lee said...

That’s incredible, Erika!
I couldn’t believe the number of bees you have in that hive. It’s amazing to imagine them all working together.
I really enjoyed reading through your post and taking in each photo, they were so detailed and fascinating.
Thanks for sharing this glimpse into your beekeeping world!

brenda said...

An informative post Erika, whilst I'm not a big fan appreciate what an important role they play. A neighbouring farmer has some and bees often gather under one of our ash trees.

B x

Iris Flavia said...

Now this was really interesting, Erika! Thanks to you I don´t flip anymore when I see a bee - so many though... I´d prefer to s.l.o.w.l.y walk away ;-) Have a great weekend, hugs

Jeanie said...

I read and loved every word. This just fascinates me and I'm learning a lot. Yesterday as I was weed whacking, I noticed a clover area and the bees were having a party around it! I don't think my pix will be very good but coming soon. Of course, the first thing I thought of was you. The second thing I thought of was "we will mow around this patch till the clover blooms are gone. 75,000 bees in your hives? I am in awe!!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I am glad to hear that your hives are doing so well, Erika. Good news on the bee front is always welcome. Looks like you can expect a good harvest of honey this year. All the best - David

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Bless you for doing something that will help "Save the Bees". My heart braks when I read or hear of the declining bee population ... They are so important to our ecology. And, I must say it was brave of you to say you haven't been stung in two years ... when I make proclamations like that, suddenly it happens. Hopefully, not to you 😁

Andrea @ From the Sol

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Dear Erika, I love bees and find them fascinating. And they are very good for the environment as well. Thank you so much for what you are doing, and for sharing your posts!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks, Erika, for this very interesting post about your beekeeping and especially all the photos! I know these tiny insects have an important role and I am a big fan of honey. However, I could not ever see myself ever being a bee-keeper. Glad to read you have not been seriously stung.

The Happy Whisk said...

Seeing the honey in the cavities is cool. I'm sorry about them cutting you off and it's totally understandable about missing blogs. I often read in bulk when I'm not online. Life has a way of getting in the way and there's nothing wrong with that. Can't believe we're at the end of June. Where did the time go?