Saturday, May 26, 2018

Creatures

Hi everyone. A quick post with not much writing as I need to get moving! I tried walking today and the mosquitoes were soooo thick I came back and did manage to get a little time to write this post. :)
First of all a page from my calendar journal. The plants were the coloring page next to the date boxes, but I enhanced them and added a few bugs, birds, flowers, outlines, words, dots, Xs...you ladies are all very smart and  get the idea I am sure.
I am linking up to Jo's challenge at Art Journal Journey which is Flora and Fauna, and lots of fun to participate in also.
And then I think I shall show you some of the Glass Sea Creatures at the Harvard Museum of Natural History where I traveled with my students this past Tuesday.  They were made by the same father and son team who made the glass flowers I showed you here Blooming.  The Blaschka's were extremely talented people I think.
Pardon the shadows.  The display lights in the cases made it difficult to not get shadows and glare.




 But some of those shadows were cool in themselves.  Here's one.
We're heading off later this morning and driving towards Cape Cod. The wedding is not on the Cape, but is on the way, and since it's a long weekend, might mean lots of traffic. We shall see.
Have a fabulous weekend everyone.
And thanks for visiting today.


16 comments:

Lenie said...

What a lovely page Erika! I really like the pictures too. Have a great weekend and wedding!

CJ Kennedy said...

Not only were the Blaschka's talented their technique with glass has never been duplicated.

Hope you're not stuck in traffic too long. Have a wonderful time at the wedding.

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful journal page and love the glass pieces. Enjoy your weekend, hugs, Valerie

Let's Art Journal said...

What a beautiful calender page! I love how you embellished and doodles on the cactus and your ladybugs, bird, bees and butterflies are wonderful 😁. I love your Bob Dylan quote too! The glass sea creatures are stunning and I love all the shadows, it's amazing that they are made of glass - breathtaking! Have a wonderful time at the wedding and thanks so much for joining us at AJJ with your fabulous post! Happy weekend and wishing you lots of fun! J 😊 x

Gibby Frogett said...

Lovely clean and fresh looking page Erika and those glass pieces are amazing and so delicate looking.
Hope you have a fantastic weekend.... Gill xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I believe Bob Dylan had a way with words, and the quote you used proves it. I am so impressed with your calendar page. Those bees are incredible.

Speaking of incredible, I was in awe of the Blaschkas and their incredible way with glass. Not just beautiful, but so authentic, too. You chose the perfect time to show these, because this glass went so well with your calendar page you generously shared with us at Art Journal Journey today.

Enjoy the wedding and "enjoy" the traffic. Or (tee hee) move to KS, where there IS NONE!!

Anonymous said...

Marvelous and cheery page. Wild and wacky colorful flowers. Amazing glass, although odd at the same time. An aquired taste I guess. Immense talent though. Enjoy the weekend. xox

Caty said...

Your art page is so wonderful Erika!! Amazing the cactus and the little animals, love them all. :D
I have added your blog to my sidebar, in my blog, at blogs that I like and inspire me, without your permission, I´m sorry. So, if it is not ok for you, I can remove your blog from mine. I hope you will be ok, because I like very much your art and entries. Thank you.
I wish you a very nice wekend, big hugs, Caty

Astrid Maclean said...

Love your calendar page! Very clever with those bugs and the little bird looks fabulous! Those glass things are absolutely amazing,wow. Hope the wedding goes well!

craftytrog said...

Wow! Those glass sea creatures are stunning Erika, and I love your bright and colourful page too!
Happy Sunday!
Alison xxx

froebelsternchen said...

I am in love with your page and I adore the glass pieces! Hope the wedding was enjoyble! Thank you for another fab page linked to AJJ dear Erika. Happy long weekend and start into the new week!
Hugs, Susi

Meggymay said...

It is a wonderful page Erika, I loved the interesting doodling you added.
More fabulous photos of the glass exhibits, they must have taken hours to make.
Yvonne xx

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

These were really some amazingly beautiful glass pieces, Erika. Thanks for sharing this creativity here. Also hope you had a good holiday weekend on the Cape as it's been dreary, chilly and damp here in Nashua so glad we were in Ogunquit, Maine last week with better weather for a couple of days. Thanks for your comments on some recent posts. We've been taking a few short day trips and now I am playing catch-up reading the blog posts of everyone else.

Dortesjs said...

great photos ;O))

Jeanie said...

Loving both your journal page and the wonderful photos from the museum. And hope that the traffic wasn't too bad!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Love the calendar journal page! The glass sea creatures are almost as lovely as the flowers(of course I prefer flowers!!!!) Hugs, Chrisx