Thursday, December 13, 2018

Maybe Today

Hi everyone. I haven't been able to find a lot of art time lately, so I apologize for showing you more of this one project and nothing new. I am glad I made this journal last month. My idea of making it early and leaving tags to write on has worked out well for me. 
My top spread was made mostly by glueing things down, including scraps of paper and some tags, as well as some red cloth ric-rac trim. These handsome nutcrackers are stickers that came in a package of tags for using on presents. I guess they are meant to decorate the packages but I liked them too much and decided to use them here rather than on a gift. I had picked them up a couple of years ago on the after holiday markdowns.
And this second photo is more of a journal spread.  I use a scrap of some paper which I had and liked, and then I added 2 tags going in opposite directions on the left. I added the quote from a sheet of holiday quotes I had and I added the TH found relative. I love this lady. I think she is very independent and has had an interesting life.  She looks full of confidence, but not arrogance, don't you think?
Then I added some paint rings and some musical washi tape and well as some musical tissue paper to mark the 5th day of month.

I am going to link my pages up to Bleubeard and Elizabeth's Favorite Season/Tis the Season challenge at Art Journal Journey.
Hope everyone is having a good week! And thanks for visiting my blog.

13 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely journal pages, you always do them so well. Great idea with the tags. Glad your ladies had such a good time, and nice of your ex-student to treat you so well! Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

CJ Kennedy said...

the soldiers remind me of the wooden soldiers that decorated the courtyard of the old Jordan Marsh mall in Framingham. Your lady looks like she got all her Christmas shopping done in record time and at a bargain, too. Stay warm today

Jeanie said...

You could show me your journal every day and I would be enchanted. I think it might be my favorite series of your posts. They make me happy and inspire me for another year.

And the holidays are about being busy and having fun. I admire you do as much as you are! And working too!

Meggymay said...

Both these journal spreads look fantastic Erika. The nutcracker tabs were a good find and will last much longer on a page than as a tag that may be discarded after Christmas.[not by crafters, we keep everything]
Yes I think your found relative will have a good story to tell about her life, she looks very approachable, a favourite aunt perhaps?
Yvonne xx

sheila 77 said...

Hello Erika. Your pages here are such fun, and both so different in style.
The second one is really interesting with the bird pattern on the right and the tags and lady on the left. I think the "found relative" lady is from a very different world from ours and may be just visiting.
Love your new header which I have just noticed, it's very jolly.

Divers and Sundry said...

I love your idea of making them ahead. I'm impressed by how this will be to look back on in the future. Memories, beautifully recorded.

I think that lady is one of my great aunts ;) Exactly as you described her.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Oh I like both of these. I think the nutcrackers are unique and I'm glad you saved them for art rather than them being lost on packages that get tossed after they are opened. This and of course, the bird, are wonderful. I really like how you used the music washi tape. These are both lovely and I'm so happy you shared them with us at Art Journal Journey, dear Erika.

Astrid Maclean said...

Tow fabulous pages, specially love the second one! I love how the washi ties the two sides together and that musical tissue paper is wonderful! I love that lady too, she has her own very interesting story for sure.

I was lucky enough to visit New York last week and picked up an adorable little book in an equally lovely little book shop in Greenwich Village, I wonder whether you know it: Christmas at Eagle Pond by Donald Hall... A really peaceful read during busy holiday preparation days....

Happy weekend!

Neet said...

My son and I both love Nutcrackers. I think we both prefer the original ones like those on your pages but there have been one or two others I liked. Love the tartan paper and the ric rac braid, very traditionally Christmas.
Your lady does actually look independent and I think she is embarking on a journey, maybe a train ride to see someone or just to the local stores to do some Christmas shopping. Love the big bird opposite and the circles and other things you added.
Both sets of pages are lovely and make me feel Christmassy at last.
Hugs Neet xx

froebelsternchen said...

Both spreads are amazing - I am specially in love with the blue one - but the mutcrackers are fantastic as well - simply GORGEOUS! I had to crack a load of gifted walnuts yesterday...hihi... I am a nutcrackergirl!

Hugs, Susi

craftytrog said...

Both spreads are wonderfully festive Erika! xxx

Words and Pictures said...

Two more great spreads - I like the strength and boldness of the Nutcracker soldiers, and then the gentle curves and colours of the second spread - such a contrast. Those swirling vines with the bird perched in them are wonderful.
Alison x

Caty said...

What gorgeous pages Erika !! They are amazing, wonderful, I love both of them. I find them very original, I like the designs, the colours and your brilliant ideas, Great your art!
I wish you a very nice week, big hugs,
Caty