Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Good Stories

Hi everyone. I am back again today with another link up to Art Journal Journey. This month's theme is every page tells a story. 
My page today is made with lots of layering, some stamping and some paint. I found this quote in a FLOW magazine- how lucky the one I have has so much to do with stories. :)
I did change the quote a bit. It originally said book, and I changed it to story.
Sorry Paul Sweeny, the man who is being quoted.
And since it has been so cold and wintery lately, I've done a lot of reading in the past month. I especially like to sit in my rocking chair next to the wood stove and read. Its warm and cozy and since there's no TV or computer there, I can really escape into my book.
Back in early December I started reading this book by Susan Branch,

I really enjoyed it. I told myself I would only read this one, the first of a 2 part series, but once I finished it I had to go on and read part 2.
What I really liked even  better about part 2 is that it is set in New England, my home area, and I laughed at how she described some our Yankee ways. These are things I have always done all my life, and they would never seem book worthy to me.  
Plus I love all her illustration in both books.
Then I went on and read a light and hilarious mystery.

 I've read most of this series, and they never fail to make me smile. Perfect cold and snowy vacation reading.
 Tomorrow night is book club and this is out book for the month. It went pretty quickly as it is a teen read, and I didn't dislike it, but I didn't love it either.
I can't pinpoint what I didn't like about it. Not mysterious enough maybe. Too much teen partying maybe. A little too predictable maybe.
And now I am half way through this book, which I am really enjoying.
I find archaeology really fascinating (I think maybe if I knew it existed I might have studied that in school instead of biology). This is a story about a large ancient city they found in Honduras in Central America, a city that has been one of legends for centuries. Its in a remote jungle and finding it was a tough thing because of the overgrowth. But it was also risky given the perilous parts of society in Honduras.  Vicious drug cartels and brutal gangs were maybe more difficult than the jungle growth. And last night I read this one story about their encounter with a deadly snake...oh my. I don't like snakes at all. I am loving this read. Those of you with NPR can find an interview with the author on the World last week.
That's all for me today. 
Thanks for visiting.



11 comments:

froebelsternchen said...

I love your page with all the layers and that great quote - you even altered the quote to fit AJJ..lol!
Great!
Oh wow - you are a hungry bookworm!
Happy reading! AND Happy Art Journaling Erika!
oxo Susi

Valerie-Jael said...

Gorgeous page, and reading is really the best thing in cold and wintry weather - and in summer, spring and autumn, too. I love all the Stephanie Plum books, always good for a great laugh. Have a great day, and enjoy all the worlds that reading opens up for us. Hugs, Valerie

~*~Patty S said...

What a fine variety of books.
You amaze me with all you do Erika!!!
Your journal page really speaks to me on many levels.
The teal and black and white polka dots are super together.
I am still trying to get back on track with creating and then posting.
Happy Hump Day oxo

sheila 77 said...

I just love this, the colours and the pretty flower, stripes and dots, all together lovely art.
Again fascinating to see what you are reading. I've recently finished this Evanovich too, what fun the whole series is.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Your journal page is wonderful today. I like the embellishments made to resemble tear drops, perhaps from reading the last page in the book. I also like your use of colors and the flower you painted over the black and white. It makes the flower POP!.

I see the Susan Branch stories are at my local library, but I think I would enjoy the Evanavich mystery better. Of course, I want to read the Lost City of the Monkey God, because I've been reading a bit about searching in the jungle for another lost city. It is a good read, but yours sounds better.

R's Rue said...

Great

kat said...

Oh yes the pleasures of life, a good read, wrapped up warm totally engrossed in a good book, I too feel I've lost a companion at the end of good tale!

Meggymay said...

Love the quote on your super journal page. Nothing can beat a good book, especially if the end wants you to read more.
Yvonne xx

Jeanie said...

I loved Isle of Dreams and have her next one, A Fine Romance. Then I'll go back To Fairy Tale Girl. Do you visit blog -- susanbrandch.com? It looks very much like her books with wonderful drawings and photos and you feel like she's just talking with you. Check it out (in your spare time -- yeah, right!)

Divers and Sundry said...

I've read a couple by Janet Evanovich, but not this one. That archaeology book sounds fascinating. I always appreciate book suggestions :)

Gibby Frogett said...

Love your quote and page - and that looks like some fab washi tape was used too.
It must be lovely to relax and loose yourself in a good book and a shame when you don't want it to be end. I do remember reading books like that years ago, but now find it hard to concentrate on my arty/crafty ones as I always seem to be thinking of different ideas to do - I'm not focused enough ha ha.
Gill x