Thursday, January 5, 2017

Travel Story-Part 1

So let me begin my post today with the beginning of a story.
Back in February of 2001, my husband, my 10 year old daughter and myself traveled to San Diego, California during our winter school vacation week. We thought it would be a good time to visit the world famous zoo, take a drive up to Disney Land and even more so, escape the late winter cold and snow here at our home in New Hampshire.
I was particularly excited to be able to wear some sandals instead of socks and heavy shoes too since the weather was suppose to be in the 60 and 70 degree range (15-21 degrees Celsius).
Now we weren't expecting super hot and summery weather, so I brought this pair of sandals that might be described as Greek sandals, with a woven foot and back around my heel. It was wonderful to be able to wear them, especially since we ended up doing a lot of beach walking.
(Heaven for me!)
So one day during our visit we ended up at a beach in a part of San Diego called La Jolla. The area was known as Torrey Pines. It was a beautiful late afternoon and a great place to walk. The land side of the beach had these cool cliffs, and you could  drive up to the top of the cliffs into a State Nature Reserve. So after our walk  we drove up into the reserve, parked the car, changed into our sneakers, and took off to explore and see some wonderful views.
While we were walking, some clouds moved in, and the sky got dark. And then it began to rain. So we raced back to our car, tossed the few "things" we had with us (like my camera and the hubby's fanny pack) into the car and drove away. At this point the rain picked up so we  stopped to grab some dinner and then head back to our hotel.
Later that evening while we were watching some TV back at the hotel, I realized I left my sandals in the car. I ran out to get them but could only find 1 of the pair. I figured the other sandal was there but because it was dark and hard to see, I would wait until morning to search more thoroughly. It was most likely just stuffed under the seat or buried under one of our sweatshirts that hadn't been brought inside the hotel room.
So my journal page today is about my lone sandal, sitting on the floor of the backseat of the car. 
The sandal is hand drawn and painted, and I used some stamped, hand painted or bought journaling pieces also on the page. To make my page look like the floor of the car, the background is a piece of printed paper that in my stash that looked the most like a car floor mat.
And the rest of my story?
Well, I am going to be mean and make you wait until tomorrow!
Thanks for stopping by.

6 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

You Meanie making us wait!! Love the journal page, and the fantastic story. Looks a fantastic place to be, with a great beach and cliffs. I always wanted to go to the Zoo at San Diego, but up til now I have to be content watching their web cams. Thanks again for all you are doing for AJJ, hugs, Valerie

Gibby Frogett said...

Great page, nice details using the paper like the mat and your shoe is fab. But...you little tease Erika, making us wait - I hope this has a happy ending :)
Have a great day... Gill xx

froebelsternchen said...

A wonderful page to remember this sandal affair...lol!
Happy Thursday Erika!
I am looking forward to all your storie which will hopefully follow!
In February 2001 on the 21 th-
my daughter was born and I was really happy
since the last weeks of pregnancy were exhausting with this big tummy.

oxo Susi

Jeanie said...

Ah, I wondered how it would all fit together. More to come!

And Erika, thanks for cruising by the Gypsy! ALWAYS appreciated!

Meggymay said...

Its a great page and the photos are lovely. I wait patiently to find out what happened to your shoe.
Yvonne xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I was in San Diego in 2001, too. How ironic. I also went to Mexico that year, too. I had friends who lived in La Jolla. I later realized this was a very rich city.

I adore your shoe and the floor mat. I can't wait to find out what happened to the other shoe, although I have my suspicions.