Tuesday, July 5, 2016

And Now I Don't Eat

The 4th of July holiday weekend has wound down here in the US, and like most holiday weekends, I ended up eating too much. 
It tasted good, but today I need to get back into my healthy normal eating again.
But otherwise it was a mostly gorgeous weather weekend with a lot of fun.
And since it is Tuesday, it is  time for T for Tuesday. Time to hare some of my weekend's high calorie yummies.
How about this fancy patriotic 4th of July birthday cake? I did a quick, not very smooth edit to cut out the busy background.  This is a cake I made this weekend, and it says 3 on it because I made it for my dog's birthday. We don't know when exactly her birthday is, but the 4th of July was about the right time of year, so we picked it.  We don't even know whether she is 3 or 4 but we are going with 3.
And since we say her birthday is July 4th and we go to the big family get together at my mother-in-laws, I made it extra fancy and extra patriotic to celebrate.
This is the kind of cake you want to make when there are 20 people to share! And yes its all vanilla and the dog got herself a tiny little piece too.
But this was dessert.
First there were yummy appetizers, most of them pretty healthy. My niece made this delicious sweet potato and black bean salsa type of dip. YUMMY!
 And lunch was kebabs.  What ever kind each group wanted. We made ours with sausage and then turned them into subs.  There was also potato salad, pasta salad and a tossed salad.

And my sister-in-law made this cute little watermelon basket which tasted good, so I didn't eat all that bad.
Don't the pups look cute in their patriotic bandannas? They spent the day running around, playing and swimming in wild abandon like only dogs can do.
And look at this beautiful sunflower bouquet my mother-in-law had out.
But, in all this food  chat and photos, there's not one mention of drinks so let me show you that before I sign off.
So before all the 4th of July food we had a few hours of boating back on Friday and went to this restaurant we wanted to try.  Its called the Town Docks, and it has a Caribbean beach feel. We ordered these tropical drinks which were yummy. The hubby's was called dock punch and his was the best, but my watermelon sangria wasn't bad at all.
And today, its water and salad for me all day.  :)
So stop by and see what the Tuesday T Day Taggers have been enjoying.
Happy T Day!

15 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

I have the same neck-tie as your dogs!! And it used to belong to my dog, but now I use it. Love all that wonderful food, and the cake is fantastic. Have a great time, happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

~*~Patty S said...

Well you had quite a wonderful celebration from that fancy cake to exotic drinks at a special place and all of that yummy food in between.
You had me at watermelon boat and drink ;-)
Have you tried the Trader Joe's Watermelon Seltzer in cans Erika?
I was a bit disappointed as the first can tasted more like watermelon rind than juice. I am a BIG watermelon fan and boy have you made me hungry this morning.
Happy T Day and Happy July too
oxo
p.s. cute cute doggies!

Nancy Chan said...

Happy 4th July! Wonderful celebration, good food and colourful cake. The dogs are so cute. I too have been over eating and now I am trying hard to lose weight! Not easy at all!

jinxxxygirl said...

So glad to see you had a fabulous 4th! We didn't celebrate... just got annoyed at our neighbors for making noise with their fireworks. lol So glad we had a good rain beforehand so no one started a fire. Your drinks for Tday look yummy!! Hugs! deb

Darla said...

That cake is so colorful and I'll bet it tasted good too. Looks like your doggy had a great birthday party and the humans didn't do to badly either.

Divers and Sundry said...

Your feast looks delicious! And the sunflowers, so festive :) Happy 4th, and Happy T Tuesday!

Carol said...

Great looking cake!!!! All of the food looks yummy :) It's always great to get together with family and on the lake too is best :)

johanna said...

well, all your Food Looks so yummy and not un-healthy at all. except the cake maybe... but a Little sin is allowed on Holidays;) the Drinks are looking so bright and summery! happy t-day, erika!

Meggymay said...

What a wonderful celebration you all had, the food looks delicious, especially that cake.
The dogs both seem happy as well.
Happy Tuesday.
Yvonne xx

froebelsternchen said...

The cake looks FANTASTIC and the water melon basket also and all the yummie food..I can imagine that one has to eat much more from all this delicious things than normally...
Lovely dogs with their patriotic bandanas!!!
Happy birthday to your girldog!!!

Happy T-Day! Thanks a lot for sharing all this with us.... it's always a pleasure to come to your blog and watch what is going on in your wonderful place !

oxo Susi

Lisca said...

What a fun cake! I did wonder if it was a dog cake or a cake for humans, but you did explain a bit further on that you all enjoyed it and I must say it looks yummy in spite of the color (sorry, blue food seems to be in fashion. They have blue ice cream here. But I don't think I'd like to eat anything blue....)
The watermelon basket is beautiful. Well done your sister!
Great pic of the doggies and of you drinking the coctails. Looks like you had a great weekend.
Thanks for visiting,
Happy T-Day,
Lisca

pearshapedcrafting said...

Great post! Love that cake as well as all the other lovely food! Your dogs look very handsome! Hugs, Chrisx

Let's Art Journal said...

What a fun weekend you had :-) Your dogs look so cute in their patriotic bandanas! That's quite a cake you made, bet it tasted as good as it looked ... delicious! Happy belated 4th July and wishing you a great week. J :-)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm BACK and am beginning here with T. I adore that beautiful cake. You know how to bake and splurge on cakes, and I am drooling from just looking on my monitor.

The watermelon looks healthy, as does the salsa. The cake looks like it has lots of berries, so it can't be ALL bad.

From the looks of those drinks, I am impressed that you made it to the party (especially with the cake!) Looks like you had a wonderful T day and day after the 4th, too. Your dogs sure look spoiled in their patriotic bandannas. Thanks for sharing your weekend and your fun drinks with us for T this week. Now I'm off to see what else I've missed.

Jeanie said...

If I didn't know you were a King Arthur Woman, I'd never believe you made that fabulous, incredibly complex cake. It's gorgeous! And I love that you chose to celebrate your dog's birthday too! It looks like a perfect day!