Saturday, October 7, 2017

Those Who Discover

Yahoo-it is the weekend. I think I am a little too excited since I have a long weekend.  :) It's suppose to be rainy but I really don't mind because it makes great time to be inside playing with some craft supplies. :)
So today I have another page in my Night Journal for you. It was inspired by thinking about all the people who make discoveries about the universe. ( I just finished listening to the book The Other Einstein by Marie Benedict. It was about Albert Einstein's first wife, who was a physicist and mathematician in her own right. I didn't mean my clock face to look so much like Einstein, but it does a little bit. I guess I learned a lot about Einstein from this book, and they aren't all good things which did surprise me.)
I am linking up to Try It On Tuesday. They have a few more days left to their Clocks/Time challenge. I had some various die cuts left on my work table and decided to use them here to make the clock face. Here's a close up.
I also had an old poster from school which was headed for the trash can that I used to cut out a lot of the other images on the pages.
I am also linking up to Art Journal Journey and Elke's challenge of  Landscapes of the Soul.

So if you read yesterday's post you might have noticed I was joining the group going to dinner last night with the Japanese visitors to our school. We had a wonderful meal (sorry, no photos) along with some formal speeches and gift exchanging. We also practiced counting to in 10 to Japanese and learned a few other assorted words. Can  I remember much of them this morning?  Nope. Being Friday night and having a couple of glasses of wine meant my brain wasn't in top wide awake state but we had lots of smiles and laughs. It was definitely a different kind of event than usual for me. :)
I did learn that the trip to Japan in April depends upon us getting students to go. We should know more next week when the first trip meeting happens at school.  I also learned that the woman who coordinates the trip is not going to lead the group this year. That means the 3 of us women who signed up to be travellers and chaperones  will be leading the group.  That was a little bit of surprising info as we didn't expect to be put in charge of the trip. (I think we can handle it but means we are now in a different position than just joining the group).
Luckily the woman who coordinates it will do all the bookings and the English teacher at the school in Japan will also help lead us. That is, if we get kids to go. It's all up to the powers who pay to make those decisions.
So there will be more news in the future about this adventure.

Happy weekend. Hope your weather is brighter mine is.
Enjoy your day. 

17 comments:

froebelsternchen said...

I adore your Einstein inspired spread! This book must be interesting - I don't know any facts about Einstein and the woman yet.
I just know that Einstein was for one single year Austrian citizen - what is a curiosity for me as well. He got it as he taught at a special university. He changed his citizenships like others their clothes -lol.
Thank you very much for linking this striking designed spread to Art Journal Journey and Try It On Tuesday! Much appreciated dear Erika!
I hope that the trip will happen - so exciting. I think this depends on the costs.For us here a trip to Japan is a very very very expensive one and no parents would have enough money for that.
My daughter's schooltrip to "just" Ireland
for one single week and lodge with families had costed nearly 1000 Euro last year. We parents all were shocked about that price.
Wishing you a happy weekend!
oxo Susi

Divers and Sundry said...

We don't hear as much about women scientists. Einstein was a stand-out in his field, but it seems not a good example in his personal life.

That's a lot more responsibility than you had thought, I'm sure, and more of a challenge in a country where English isn't the primary language. I hope y'all have interested students. I look forward to updates :)

craftytrog said...

A wonderful page!
Have a great weekend!
Alison x

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to see your beautiful fascinating idea linked to the topic at AJJ!
Thank you very much!
The book must be interesting from Einstein, I know not synonymous.
The trip to Japan would be great!
Have a nice Weekend, Elke

chrissie said...

Wonderful post Erika and a great piece of mixed media artwork

Thank you for joining us at a Try it on Tuesday

Love Chrissie xx

Valerie-Jael said...

Einstein was a genius, but not always a good person.Your page is fantastic, as always, and thanks for joining us at TIOT. Your trip to Japan sounds very exciting, hope it will be able to go forward. Enjoy your long weekend, have fun. Hugs, Valerie

Jeanie said...

Oh, I hope you can get enough kids to go. I know you'll do the best sell possible! The evening sounds loads of fun, too.

And I love your art piece today! Inspiration in reading!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I like your Einstein inspired art and laughed because it DID look like him. I have very little knowledge of Einstein, but I admire his theory of relativity. I think it goes perfectly with the clock theme. And it makes a great AJJ spread, too.

I hope you are able to go to Japan, and in a leadership role would mean more responsibility for you, too. But I'm not understand the phrase "It's all up to the powers who pay to make those decisions." Does that mean everyone has to pay their own way? Including you? Is there enough time for students who want to go to get passports? Thankfully they don't need visas, but I've heard passports can take up to six months to receive. That may have changed now, though. Keep us informed, please.

Meggymay said...

Its a fabulous journal spread, you were inspired with this page, the details and additions look great. I loved the eyes you added to the face made from a clock.
Sound like its going to be a great trip, I hope the students will be able to get the funds together. It would be very expensive for families from the UK as well.
Thank you for another super page for the TioT's challenge and for your support.
Yvonne xx

CJ Kennedy said...

Very cool Einstein spread. I also thought it the face had pointed ears, he could be Kitty einstein. There was a wonderful special last year a docu-drama about Einstein in his early years, marriage to Mileva. Because we tend to put heroes on pedastels, we forget they are human.

R's Rue said...

Have a great day.

Dortesjs said...

aww great this, love it

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the mini biography lesson while creating your page. Japan, sounds fantastic. Hope you get kids to go, but I am sure it's an expensive trip.....so fingers crossed. If you can do iceland, you can do Japan. xox

Let's Art Journal said...

Your Einstein page is amazing, I love all the words and images you used to create this piece! The book sounds fascinating too 😁. Your evening sounds wonderful and a trip to Japan would be so cool, fingers crossed you get enough interest. Wishing you a happy new week! J 😊

Sandra Wright. said...

Wow...just fabulous....
Sandie

sheila 77 said...

What fascinating pages. I love the clock face man with his green eyes.
Good advice to "be authentic".
Your Japanese night out and the forthcoming trip all sound so exciting.

pearshapedcrafting said...

I love this page - Einstein made me smile! How great to have a chance to travel to Japan - I hope it happens! Thank you so much for joining us at Try It On Tuesday! Chrisx