Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Winter Time

Hi everyone. Day 2 of the month means it is time for Second on the Second over at Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog .
Today I have a winter page for you which was originally posted on January 24, 2016.  


Here's the link to the original post: Winter Night. It isn't arctic cold yet in New Hampshire, nor is it actually winter yet either,  but I've pulled out all my winter supplies, so I 've been making a few wintery pages.
Yesterday our tempertuates were fairly warm, but the cold that has taken over part of the country is moving on into New England.
This polar bear is one of my favorite pages. I like the sky background and also how I made the snow at the bottom. It's definitely a page I want to see again, and I hope you do also.

I also have a new page today for Tracey's  The Meaning Of challenge at Art Journal Journey


My background represents the woods, the  green for the pine boughs, the cold blue for a winter's sky, the brown for frozen ground. The image is one I came across while cleaning out old magazines this fall. I really liked it, and it reminds of both the holidays  as well as nature. I am definitely a nature person.
I added some die cut snowflakes. I used origami paper to cut them, which is one of my favorite techniques. I like it because it gives the snow a bit more ephemeral almost transparent but not quite quality, which is sometimes snow has when it is falling lightly from the sky.  The quote is from Alison Bomber, but the page still needed something.
I added this bell trim I had, as well as some white lace paper trim. The quote may be about silence, but a buck (or stag) walking through the forest is not always quiet. They can be, but if you listen carefully it is amazing how loud many animals are. 

That's all for me today. Hope your December has started well for you.




 

21 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Both pages, old and new are beautiful, and very fitting for this time of year. Have a happy day, stay safe! Hugs, Valerie

CJ Kennedy said...

Gorgeous pages though I love the polar bear page yet. I'm glad it's not artic cold yet or snowy. I'm not ready! Take care and have a great day

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I actually remember that polar bear you created in 2016. I can't believe how long it's been since we've known each other. It seems like a blink of the eye. Thanks so much for sharing this with us as your second look on the 2nd.

I really LOVE that deer. It's a great stamp and I adore the colors, too. You always have such great backgrounds, too. Thanks for another wonderful entry for Art Journal Journey using Tracey's theme.

craftytrog said...

Beautiful Winter pages Erika! xx

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, I love both of them, my favorite though is the second on the 2nd share-perfect for December
Happy second on the 2nd Kathy

The Exclusive Beauty Diary said...

These look so beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

New Post - https://www.exclusivebeautydiary.com/2020/12/babor-hsr-lifting-cream-filorga-hydra.html

Divers and Sundry said...

I love your polar bear against that wonderful background... those colors and starry sky :) Brrr!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Both of these are fabulous Erika! I love the polar bear and your latest one really made me sigh..it's beautiful! Hugs, Chrisx

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Yes both pages are fabulous Erika with each meaning something to you from past to present. I especially love the words of the second and how you added the bells gentle sound to break the silence. I'm so happy you too are a nature person isn't it a great feeling when we can bring those colours out onto a page. Lovely work, thank you for sharing. Hugs Tracey xx

Elkes Lebensglück said...

I love your two works of art, whether it's older or not, it's so adorable and creatively designed. The polar bear is so cute with this blue background and the deer is pure nature in this Christmas anticipation.
Have a nice day and take care, hugs Elke

Iris Flavia said...

Maybe you remember polar bear Knut from Berlin Zoo? He was so cute. He was in the news on German TV even.
Reckon your art is a better place for a polar bear...
No snow here yet, luckily, but cold! I´m wearing PJs under my jeans when going out (don´t tell).

sirkkis said...

Wonderfully collaged bear page, Erika. Love it. As well as the other page is great.
I love wild animals and I follow all nature programs of them on television.
Happy rest of this week xx

Jeanie said...

I like them both but the polar bear is especially charming!

R's Rue said...

Beautiful.

froebelsternchen said...

Hi Erika!
So much beautiful art, old and new here on your blog.
Wanted to wish all the best for you, the family and the doggies!
No art from me, my life have changed comletely.
I have a new partner and we live a wonderful life together now.
Not much time for Mixed Media art any longer, lol.
I am absolutely happy,hugs
Susi

NatureFootstep said...

I like your Polar bear art. So lovely. :) And, of course, I love the deer :)
Take care!

Lisca said...

Both the old and the new journal page are beautiful.
Yes, I know stags can be very noisy. And you have little bells up there too. Not so silent....
By the way, I saw the previous comment was from Susi (Froebelsternchen). Great to hear from her. I had missed her.
Take care,
Hugs,
Lisca

Let's Art Journal said...

Gorgeous pages! Loving that polar bear and your abstract background on your second page is beautiful, loving the quote too 😀. I hope you had a happy Friday and wishing you a wonderful weekend! Hugs, Jo x

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Great art pieces. I especially love the polar bear one.

nwilliams6 said...

Erika, your polar bear reposted journal page is so cool! Love the snow effect you achieved and the bear is super fun. The texture and bells are so cool on the AJJ inspired page and I like all the layers and details and colors. Super cool thoughts behind it too. Both are fabulous! Hugz

Neet said...

Both pages are nice and I do like the background you have used for the polar bear it looks very Christmassy but I have to come down on the stag. I love that image you found, it evokes all kids of memories of things about Christmas, the smell of mince pies the log fire crackling, the tartan ribbons hanging and everything about a true traditional Christmas.
Hugs, Neet xx