Friday, August 13, 2021

Snail Mail Background

Hi everyone. Happy end of another workweek. It's been very hot and humid the last couple of days. Thankfully there is art to make and books to read inside where it is cooler, and it is suppose to be cooling off by the end of the weekend.  Hopefully! Until the weather is more conducive to being out in the garden or on a walk, I'll stick with the inside fun. 

Today I have another page for Neet's TYPE challenge at Art Journal Journey. I was thinking about typewriters, and that had me  also thinking about old fashioned  typed  or handwritten letters. We all love to get happy mail, but as you know,  mailing letters back in forth in  slow snail mail is almost obsolete thanks to email, texting, cell phones and  the internet.

I

I have yet to find my typewriter stamp (perhaps I unloaded it in my last clean out), but I do have this old TH typewriter die, so I used some assorted colorful origami paper to die cut a lot of machines.

I used matte medium to attached them to a painted and splattered background. I also used my computer to type bits of a letter and I attached those to 3 of my colorful typewriters.

Then I was able to use 4 very old postage stamp stamping sets I have.  The postie quote is from an old Darkroom Door set; both the postman and the mailbox are from an old Red Lead set, and  the  postage stamps are from an old TH set.  Finally I stamped the giant postmarks (got to love those) on wax paper. They are part of a set from Ma Vinci. 

Sometimes pages don't look like you'd like them to, and that is how I feel about this one. I like my idea better than my result. I wish the postman was larger to grab your eye more. To me, I have a background but not a finished page.  Yet saying that, I don't dislike the page enough to cover it up and start over again. And I like it enough to publish it here on my blog. Smile. 

And maybe you will see this as a background some other time in the future.

Wishing you a great start to the weekend!



 

17 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

This makes me nostalgic for the days when one received real mail with postage stamps, especially those from overseas.

kathyinozarks said...

Awesome page Erika,
we finally got storms most of the night-hopefully that will bring cooler temps Happy weekend hugs

Valerie-Jael said...

Your page is lovely, bright and cheerful. Just right for Neet's challenge at AJJ. Back in my youth we used to say, 'Go like Elvis, go man, go!' Times change! Have a great day, I'm going to rest, feel groggy. Hugs, Valerie

Barbara said...

Liking my idea better than the result happens to me a lot. Lol! It’s great, and very colorful.it’s happy!

CJ Kennedy said...

Great page. I remember writing that rhyme (only using postman) on the back of envelopes. I just bought a bunch of new stamps. I couldn't resist the designs. Stay cool!

Harvest Moon by Hand said...

Great layout with the inclusion of stamps! Had to laugh at the part with "Postie Postie don't be slow. Go like Batman. Go Man Go!"

R's Rue said...

So pretty.

jenclair said...

Love this! The colors add such fun, and I always love postcards and postie stuff. I have this stamp set, and I like the way you used the typewriter die cu. It works better than the typewriter stamp--giving the card pop of color and texture.

Empire of the Cat said...

Well I loved all your coloured typewriters in the background, it reminds me a bit of pop art style. And I like your old-fashioned postie man and all your little bits and pieces and typed out words. I really like the stamp stamps, I have that set too... somewhere! Have a great weekend Elle xx

Neet said...

Well I like your page Erika. It's a lovely idea to show this typewriter in all different colours - who wouldn't want to own a lovely hot pink machine, or how about that beautiful bright sunny yellow or orange. Personally I would have to go for the turquoise or the purple one.
Love the addition of the postage stamps (not sure what you call them in America) and the mail box but my favourite has to be the postie/mailman. I can see why you might have wanted him to be larger but it's lovely to see him there and I love the little rhymes some people put on the back of their envelopes.
Thanks for another great page for my theme at AJJ.
Hugs, Neet xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I actually really like this a LOT, Erika. I love that mailbox and the large postmarks. And of course, I am in awe of the typewriters. It seems you have found a great use for that die. I love how colorful this page turned out. It certainly looks like a completed (and colorful) journal page to me. Thanks for this latest entry using Neet's theme at AJJ, dear.

craftytrog said...

A fabulous page Erika, great take on the theme!

DVArtist said...

I miss real mail. Great post. Have a nice evening.

Iris Flavia said...

Yes, sadly snail mail is not "hip" anymore. The more I loved the postcard from my Big Niece - and I just sent a Birthday-parcel to her (a book on poo. Don´t make a wish, you get something like that, LOL!).
The postie was quick, my Bro reported!

Lowcarb team member said...

I like this, so nice and colourful.

Do hope your weather cools down soon.

All the best Jan

Jeanie said...

Hot and humid for sure. I know what you mean about things not always turning out the way you think (I experienced that today). The ironic thing is that other people always think it is just fine!

Divers and Sundry said...

The postman is the central image, though, so catches your eye right away. I like the colors, too.