Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Storm King #2- Do You Like Rocks?

 Hi everyone.

It is already the middle of the week. Time is flying by, but I've had several appointments this week so far, and when you're busy, I think time seems to go even faster.

Today I thought I would take you back to Storm King In New York State and show you some more views.  Today I am going to photo overload you with views of one of my favorite pieces, a stone wall.  I just loved this wall, but when I showed my husband he rolled his eyes and said in a very bland voice, "It is a stone wall."  Yes, but it is a very interesting one.

Maybe because we have so many stone walls here in New England, he didn't appreciate this one.  Here's the exhibit info. 



My eyes were drawn up this hill.  I was standing in the park road looking to my right. My friend had to point out the other half of the wall, if you look left from the road.



The wall ran into the pond, and then picked up again on the other side. I love how it gives the illusion like it is still going on under the water. You can  see that also in this next photo.



 I love the lichen and moss "patina" on the rocks. They form on field rocks here in New Hampshire too, and probably on rocks lots of places.



So it wouldn't crumble, the artist added drainage areas and  as you can see in the next photo, also this nice spot to cross over.



Looking down the hill to the road, and then looking the rest of the way up the hill.


At the top of the hill, there was another cross over.




Now we're back down the hill, down the road a ways, and across the bridge at the end of the pond.  You can see the rock wall starting up again in the pond. And if you look carefully across the pond, you can see the other half of the wall going into the pond.



And winding up the hill on this opposite bank.







Before we enter the meadow, one last look back to the pond.

 
And in the meadow, the wall continues.





And you can see the wall ending in the woods.


Further into the park, the wall picks up again. This time it wraps around some boulders.

It goes around this glacial erratic boulder. And on the left, you can see it building up again.




And around more boulders.



This time  it leads you to something else.



Any guesses about this sculpture?
And since this post is so long, I'll show you more of it on Friday.

I hope you didn't feel like my husband did about the wall.
Have a great middle of your week! And thanks for visiting.












































































12 comments:

CJ Kennedy said...

The rock wall is amazing. I marvel at the wall being put together without masonry. So straight in the first image! I don't think I've seen a rock wall in my part of the country curve around things. I'm thinking the last image is part of a Hindu statue? Enjoy today. More rain on the way.

Valerie-Jael said...

Love the photos, I adore stone walls! But I have no idea about that last piece, perhaps an acrobat or dancer? Whatever, have a great day, , Valerie

kathyinozarks said...

Hi Erika, I love this wall too! Allot of times in the past, when they were clearing the land they would gather up the rocks and then use them for projects like this. Here in sw Missouri there is allot of rock-everywhere-and driving down allot of old farm roads the ranchers would would make a circle of wire then fill up with rocks-to use as the fence posts.-I always thought that was clever. I love how they made the wall you are sharing-no mortar just artful placement of the rocks-

ashok said...

Awesome place and great clicks!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

this is beautiful. I take it your husband wasn't amazed. I love how they circled the trees to keep them from being removed. This is so very clever. I also remember what Kathy was talking about. I also saw those in MO when I lived there. I may even have pictures somewhere.

Yes, that is a Hindu statue, The legs are in the air and the hands are on the ground. I have seen this type of stance before in a museum. Thanks for sharing this incredible wall, dear Erika.

DVArtist said...

Love all the rocks.

Iris Flavia said...

Wow, I´ve never seen anything like that! Amazing, it´s like you´re on a wall-hunt! No idea about the sculpture - will you reveal it?

craftytrog said...

I love an old stone wall! Great photos Erika!

Jeanie said...

I'm very fond of stone walls -- you see them everywhere in England and I find them charming. I didn't know there were as many in New England. I really like how this one leads you to new and exciting things. I'd say your husband missed the point on this one. I'm in your camp!

Divers and Sundry said...

"It is a stone wall." lol! Well, yeah, but what a wall! I'd enjoy following it along it's way :)

Mrs.B said...

Looks like an amazing place to visit, that wall is something else, it must have taken some making!
Avril xx

Let's Art Journal said...

Beautiful photos and these type of walls always amaze me as they must take so long to construct 😁. We find this type of wall in the UK , it's very common especially in the Lake District. Thanks for sharing and happy wishes! Hugs Jo x