Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Baking Cookies


Hi everyone.  Happy first full day of winter (or summer) to you.

I want to squeeze in a couple of holiday pages with doors today and tomorrow. Today's page is about a task I've been doing a bit of lately, baking holiday cookies. 

And if you haven't figured it out, my door today is the oven door.  It is full of cookies that are browning and making the house smell delicious. 

The top left corner of my oven image isn't staying glued down very well. Grrr. Now it looks all wrinkly. Grrrr. Think of it as a little dent. Smile.

I started by die cutting these cookies. Then I randomly glued them down on my page.  After that I took a purple Gelato crayon and scribbled it around the empty spaces, using a wet brush afterwords to soften it and be sure it spread out over most of the paper.

The stove is another die cut. I added that to the page, outlined the details and added lots of little die cut cookies in the oven. Yes, if they were real cookies and they looked like that while they were baking in the oven, the baker would be in big trouble.

I  used some clear drying glue over the glass panel on the oven door. I also used a light grey marker and a black pen to give the oven a bit more depth and shadow on the right.

After that I stamped the quote and the other baking supplies using a very old Hero Art set from my collection.

I've baked a few batches of cookies already this year, but I'm trying not to go overboard . At least for Christmas my daughter will be home to help eat them. 

What I really want to make for Christmas is a Norwegian Kransekake. 


This photo is the Paul Hollywood version I pulled off the internet. 

I bought the molds to make one last year but never got around to it, and I've wanted to try one, so I will be making it for Christmas.  I'll let you know how it comes out.

That's all for me today. I hope your week is going well.

Thanks for visiting.











 

12 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Hi Erika, I love your page, clever idea with the oven door. My dog used to sit in front of the oven when something was baking, enjoying the warmth and the good aromas - and probably hoping for a taster. That cake looks very complicated, but I am sure you will manage it, have fun. And thanks for your wonderful support at AJJ this month, I really do appreciate it! Hugs, Valerie

Angie's Recipes said...

Love the holiday page! You too have a delicious day, Erika!

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, Oh wow perfect journal page for the door challenge-I love it!
I did bake up my gingerbread cookies yesterday but I think that is all I am going to do this year. I have candy and chex mix, fruitcake and peppermint chocolate chip cookies so if anyone should drop by I have a few things
Have fun with the norwegian cake will be anxious to see it. Happy mid week and first day of winter hugs Kathy

Divers and Sundry said...

That Christmas tree cake looks challenging. I wouldn't have the courage to try lol I look forward to hearing how yours turns out.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What an absolutely clever take on Valerie's theme, dear. Don't fret because I'm having glue and wonky problems that are far worse than yours. I think this is truly clever. It's a totally different take and a great interpretation of the the theme. Thanks for sharing it with us at AJJ and for sharing your cookie making plans, too. I wish you luck with that tree. I bought stars in escalating sizes one year to make cookies. It was part of a kit. Made them once and never again. I thought they were a disaster. I hope you have better luck with yours.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Oooh, this looks fantastic.

Lowcarb team member said...

Look forward to seeing your Norwegian Kransekake :)
Happy Baking.

All the best Jan

Annsterw said...

I just found your blog - I love it! I am now following! I am a middle-aged woman that just returned to school for nursing. Happy Holidays!

Iris Flavia said...

Hmmm. you give me inspiration.
I baked cookies, too, just how "sell" broccoli-cookies?

All the green would so fit into the season (but - thankfully!!! - last day of work- thankful as in having work).

Neet said...

Ooh I look forward to your Norwegian baking.
Your page is great, do I spy Gingerbread Men in the oven? It's a fun page and it reminds me that I did find some biscuit cutters the other day and thought of making gingerbread men myself, am sure there was one amongst the others.
Love how you have used all the traditional shapes in your journal, the stars, the trees and the canes. It really is well thought out and I can almost smell the gingerbread from here.
Christmas Hugs, Neet xx

Meggymay said...

A fantastic take on Erika's theme, I would love a closer look through your oven door to see your wonderful baking.
Stay safe.
Yvonne xx

craftytrog said...

A delicious page Erika!
Hugs,
Alison