Saturday, December 18, 2021

More of La Brea Tar Pits- Los Angeles

 Happy Saturday everyone. We have some snow arriving today, (a general 4-8 inches or 10-20 centimeters) and it's our first bigger storm of the season, so maybe we'll have a white Christmas after all. 

Due to some interest about the tar pits, I'm going to focus my post back at the La Brea Tar Pits in downtown LA. I was surprised as we drove into downtown  we passed several oil wells, but it all makes sense when you think there are bubbling tar (or really asphalt) pits here. And yes Chris, they do have an odor.

If you read this Iris, here are some of Henry's cousins in this top photo. There's another Henry further in the post.

All of the large outside areas were fences off, but I managed a few photos. For this first one you can see the methane bubbling up.


I like this next photo for 2 reasons. First you can see how the tar pits are located right in a developed area. Also with the addition of the large animal models, you can see how mammoths and mastodons could get stuck  and then die in the pits. They weren't the only animals to be stuck. There were also dire wolves and  saber toothed cats  (as well as others) which could smell the decaying flesh of the these large animals and came in for lunch. When they went in the sticky tar to eat, they too got stuck in the tar pits also.


Here's a brief history page from the Tar Pits themselves if you're interested in reading about their history: Le Brea Tar Pits story.


No one was digging for bones in this pit the day we were there. 





I found these cones over soft spots in the park around the museum interesting.


You can see all the boxes of fossils still to unpack and process from their digs in the pits.



Inside the museum, there was a glass fronted lab where they cleaned and worked on fossils.



And here's either a scientist or volunteer who was working the morning we were there.


And it's not just the bones that tell a lot of information, but sometimes the microfossils tell even more.



A view of what the Tar Pits could have resembled back 10,000 years ago.


And yes, we used to have lions (similar to African lions) in North America.  

And I'll finish up my photos with a few more skeletons, starting with this extinct horse. I still find it fascinating that animals like horses and camels evolved in North America, and then went extinct here. All the modern horses we have (and camels also) were brought back to North America by humans.


They also had this cool exhibit that showed elephant/mammoth/mastodon evolution.



And a mammoth molar, adapted for grinding.


They've even found some bird fossils, including this giant vulture. (Sorry for the light reflection across the photo.)


And a couple of dire wolf skeletons.



There's nothing to give you a scale on their size, but they were the size of a pony or a small horse.

And for those of you more interested in plants than animal bones, they had a lovely indoor/opened to the outside conservatory.





You could also walk around it from  outside on the roof the building. In this next photo I am looking slightly downward and across.


And finally for today, a few views from  when we were in the park that surrounds the Tar Pits Museum of LA.



That was my pick for our 2 days in LA. My husband's pick was a movie studio tour. For his pick we visited the Warner Brother's studio, which ended up being quite fun also.  If you're interested I can share that with you another day or two.. 

As I said in my other LA post, there was a lot to do in the city, and one of these days, we need to go back. Two days didn't even scratch the surface.  

You've all shared such nice comments on my trip photos; thanks so much. 

Have a great rest of your weekend.

15 comments:

Shari Burke said...

Dealing with fossils is such painstaking work! The museum and conservatory look fascinating!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I visited Hancock Park several times while in LA. I enjoyed just walking around and seeing the pits and the outdoor displays. Only once did I visit the museum. Also located in Hancock Park is LACMA (LA County Museum of Art) and the Urban Lights outdoor exhibit, which is always free. If you go back to LA, I'll share ways you can visit a lot of these places free (you KNOW I believe in FREE).

Near Hancock Park is the original Farmer's Market. Not free, but you can get better than average priced fresh fruit and veggies every day, plus there are great places to eat, too. Just look for the tower with the clock and you are there. Be aware, you will probably run into a famous movie star or two there getting fresh produce. Don't be star struck and don't ask for an autograph, even if it's your favorite actor. Now days actors often have shoppers on their payroll, who buy everything from food to clothing to personal items for their clients. That wasn't the case back when I was visiting and working in LA and Orange County.

I really loved seeing your photos and it brought back SO many wonderful memories of living and working out there. I miss those days from the 90s when I was able to explore that area.

BTW, I was in charge of closing down two companies that my company had purchased. The machinery had to be inspected, then it was up to me to decide if the machinery was to be sold, auctioned, or sent to our Kansas location. I had to hire temp workers to answer the phones and run the office, and others to prepare the crates for their final destinations. Once the companies were sold, management went in and offered severance packages to the laid off employees. Thankfully, I didn't have to get rid of any permanent employee. Thanks for the memories, Erika. I'm loving this. BTW, I never had the desire to visit a movie set, but I DID get to be in the audience of a Tonight Show.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I just read your question about snow. Although we've had high winds for days, they have been southerly and unseasonably warm. Late last night, the winds shifted and are now once again from the north, causing temps to plummet overnight. Thankfully, no snow, though. I read you may get your second snowfall this year. Knock on wood, we are not forecast for snow. That is further north closer to the Nebraska line.

craftytrog said...

Interesting post Erika!

CJ Kennedy said...

The museum looked quite interesting. I had no idea that lions once roamed North America, too. I visited Universal Studios on one of my trips to LA so would be interested in seeing the WB tour

CJ Kennedy said...

I hope the weather dudes are wrong and you don't get that much snow.

Valerie-Jael said...

Hi Erika, what a fascinating post. I would love to visit there and see the excavations and exhibition. But it was hard that so many animals got stuck there and died. But if they hadn't we wouldn't be able to enjoy the exhibits. You really packed a lot into your week, and took loads of photos, for which I am very grateful.I spent most of today in my party kitchen, and now it's feet up time. Enjoy your weekend!

kathyinozarks said...

Wow this was a very interesting post for me I had no idea about tar pits-and the loss of animal life over the years-sad. and I had no idea that asphalt was natural from the ground either.
the museum would have been neat to vist.
thanks for the infor. and all the photos.
Happy Saturday--no snow here-Hugs Kathy

Jeff said...

Interesting post. I can't image working in a tar pit, if I was an archeologists, I think I'd prefer to dig in sand! I have been to LA many times, but missed this on my radar (how far from Dodger stadium?)

https://fromarockyhillside.com

Iris Flavia said...

Yes, Henry already jumped at me ;-) Paw up for a "hi"!

I think I skip lunch, though! (Not)

Very interesting, cool post!
We don´t have tar here, but mummies that sunk in torf.
Ingo and I were visiting the museum, hearing a "plopp".

A little girl saw the mummy and passed out. So sorry, but we had to laugh!

DVArtist said...

Great post. I haven't been to the tar pits or in that are in many years. Have a great day.

Jeanie said...

That looks like such a fascinating place, and as a science teacher, I can see why you'd like it!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I would really have enjoyed this visit. It is so surreal almost to contemplate the creatures that once inhabited this continent, and the recreations and dioramas are superb. Thanks for sharing the experience, Erika.

Divers and Sundry said...

I love that this is in such a readily accessible area and that the "doings" there are so easy to see. They've made a real effort to be people-friendly. Cool!

Lowcarb team member said...

An interesting post ...
Many thanks.

All the best Jan