Saturday, December 4, 2021

November Books

 Hi everyone. Happy weekend.

It is already time once again for my monthly book post. As I write every month, this is my way of keeping track of books. I know some of you are book post readers, so please read on if you are interested. I understand if book posts aren't your thing.

Today's book post is a short one. November was not my biggest reading month. Between being busy with getting outside chores done before snow, getting used to the time change, a 10 day trip, and then the Thanksgiving holiday, the amount of reading I did dropped off a lot. 

Much of my reading was finishing up books I had already started.

I did finish this Ken Follett book I started in late October and mentioned in my last book post. I had just under half of the book to read when November rolled around, but since the book was 900+ pages, that was still a lot of read.  It was very well worth the time!   I only wish I had finished it before we flew to California because this was way too big of a book to carry with me, so I had to wait until I came home to finish it.

As I mentioned  last month, this book is the prequel to The Pillars of the Earth. This book is set at around the turn of the first to the second millennium, starting in 997 CE. 


 I also finished listening to this book that I started in October. I  really enjoyed this story. This was one of the best books I listened to/read in 2021. I haven't really read all that many World War 2 books, but I think I need to read more. This book was historical fiction "starring" Nancy Wake, an actual Australian who  ended up working with the British against the Nazis in World War 2. At the end of the novel the author gives a fact versus fiction chapter which I found very interesting and informative. I highly recommend this story. I am now very interested in reading Nancy Wake's autobiography as she was one extremely interesting woman.


Then it was onto another older mystery, a new series for me. I seem to be on a historical mystery kick lately.


I believe Jeanie was the one who mentioned this series a few months back. I wrote it down on a to-check-out list, and I'm sorry if I have the wrong person who mentioned it.  I looked for an inexpensive copy and found one on eBay. This book was originally published in 1940.

Mr. and Mrs. North live in the Greenwich Village apartment, and they discover a dead body in  the empty apartment above them. Of course the police are called and come to the crime scene. The Norths befriend police detective Weigand and his side kick Mullens early on in this book.  I expected the book to be a little more about the Norths investigating the murder, but I did like the detective and his side kick, and I did like this book. I just found an inexpensive used copy of book 2 on eBay so that has been added to my to-be- read pile.

This book, The Norths Meet Murder,  made a great on the plane read. On the way to California, I read the first half. On the way home, I read the next quarter, and then, being tired since we had a 6 AM flight home, I decided to sleep the rest of the way.  When I got home I was able to finish it in one sitting.


I decided I also needed to shake up my reading choices a bit, so  after listening to Code Name Helene, I thought I would give this Cold War espionage story a try.

I've tried to find out how much of this story is actual history with little success, but it was still an interesting listen. In this book there are twin sisters. One of them, Ruth, works in NY in a publishing house. The other sister, Iris, defects with her husband and children to the Soviet Union in the late 1940's. Iris's husband worked for the US state department and acted as a double agent. This book is basically set between 1940 and the early 1950's.

Iris then needs to be rescued from the Soviet Union. I won't say any more, but I did enjoy this story. It was inspired by  some actual British double agents who defected to the Soviet Union. I read some place that the author, Beatriz Williams, uses these same characters at different points in their lives in some of her earlier books. As this is the first book by this author I have read, I can't say for certain, but it would be interesting to see what she has them doing in her other novels.

And my last book wasn't really a reading book. I did read one pattern from it though!


I saw the Hufflepuff hat on the front and thought it would be great for my daughter.  I was able to check out the book and decided there were lots of patterns I would be interested in knitting. I ended up buying the book and also a couple of hanks of yarn, and now that I have rolled them into balls,  I can start knitting the hat. If you aren't familiar with hufflepuff from Harry Potter, I am referring to the black(ish) and yellow hat on the cover.


More about that at a later time.

That's all the reading for me for November.  As you can see, (for me) it dropped off a lot. I'm hoping December will be a bigger book month, as my to-be-read pile is getting rather tall. I hope you had some interesting reading, and if so, if anything excited you, I'd love to hear about it in your comment.

Have a great rest of your weekend.

14 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

My novel this past month was "The Flood" by Margaret Atwood. To get into her mind would be a scary thing, but in addition to all else she is a proficient and dedicated birder. Right now I am a little over half way through a monumental tome by Wade Davis called "Into the Silence" a story of the First World War and the early attempts to conquer Everest. It is quite fabulous. Gros bisous de ton ami David en Ontario.

Valerie-Jael said...

Great choice of books again. Love the idea of Harry Potter knitting patterns, so cute! I would surely look good in a Gryffindor hat and mittens! I am having a lazy day, it was cold and damp outside and I came home quickly. Hugs, Valerie

CJ Kennedy said...

Eclectic reading list. Looks like you'll be making a cute hat. I wish the warm up wasn't coming with rain. Stay dry!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Sorry this is a generic message, but it's all I could pull together. Late Thursday as I headed to the basement, I caught my sleeve on the railing and lost my balance. I fell down 13 of the 14 steps to the basement floor. I laid there for what seemed like hours, but in reality was probably little more than 20-30 minutes. When I was able to get up, I realized I had hurt my back enough that all I could do was lie on it. I have trouble sitting or standing. I hope you understand.

If I normally visit you every day, I hope/plan to feel better by Monday. Thanks for your support and understanding. PLEASE, NO SYMPATHY. It was my own stupidity.

I read your comment about the stained glass outside window. The window in the back of the display is an illusion. The plexiglass that surrounds the sit in display makes it look like the window is in two different pieces. It actually is in one piece with the plexi distorting the window. I hope that made sense, since I am not making much this week.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Wanted to mention that the Code Name Helene, Nancy Wake, was also known as the White Mouse, and was given the Medal of Freedom in the states and medals in the UK, Australia, New Zealand, and France. She was one brave woman.

Angie's Recipes said...

I need to get those books on my Kindle!

Iris Flavia said...

Your second book sounds really interesting.
It is actually something I hate. I had to say, when I was 14, (I only moved my lips) that I am sorry for what I did to the Jewish people.

What did I do? I wasn´t born yet, my parents were kids and my Grandparents not involved in this (Father´s Father was the only watch-maker and stayed put, the other was not even German).

Yet... somehow. It is my heritage and I´m interested in those who fought it. Weird, huh.

The cold war, yes, I grew up in this. I remember when we went to West Berlin and had to pass East Berlin. We were advised to not look into the officer´s eyes. Only move if they tell you to. Scary it was (I was 17).

Oh, I knitted when I was 14. I remember a pullover with horses. I was a weird kid, LOL.

These days I find the mood for reading only when I wait for someone, it´s sad.
But I found that "Platt"-Christmas book in the street and try to read/understand one story a day!

Have a great Sunday, hugs from here :-)

Jeanie said...

What a good an interesting list! That's a North book I haven't read (and yes, that was me that mentioned them.) They're fun and the mysteries are decent although there is clearly a sea change in the roles of men and women and how women are portrayed since these were written! But in a way, that makes it all the more fun. I think you'll enjoy some of the others in the series.

Divers and Sundry said...

I used to read a lot more than I do now, and I want to get back to that. Your book posts are an encouragement towards that :)

craftytrog said...

After you mentioned that Ken Follett prequel last month, I bought myself a second hand copy from World Of Books.
I also spotted a novel about Jane Austin's sister Cassandra, called Miss Austen, by Gill Hornby, that I enjoyed and recently finished, and The Other Bennett Sister by Janice Hadlow, about the plain and bookish Mary, that I've just started, which is hard to put down.
I like the sound of Code Name Helene, and I've noted that one down ;-)
Keep 'em coming! :D
I hope you've had a lovely weekend Erika.
Hugs,
Alison

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

While not all the books you included here would be on my "to read" list, Erika, I did check out Our Woman in Moscow but never finished it, so perhaps it's worth another try next year. I checked our library for the Mr & Mrs North series after jeanie mentioned them, but none were available (sigh).

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, You always have such a good list of books to share. I did pick up a couple hardcover Follet books but I haven't read them yet-been reading other books instead. I now have a couple stacks of hard covers on my coffee table to get through this winter-and then get back to the Outlander books I am only on book 3.
thanks for sharing hugs Kathy

kathyinozarks said...

PS and those that knit what a very fun book

sheila 77 said...

As I said before I love to see what you have been reading. Did you recommend a Louise Penny book a while ago because I read a couple afterwards and they were good. I read the Ken Follett ages ago and enjoyed it. The North mysteries look to be worth a look, thanks and that is amusing about the Hufflepuff hat, have a nice time knitting it.