Tuesday, January 11, 2022

In With The New

 Hi everyone.  

It's hard to believe the holidays have come and gone, and it is time to start another year of challenges at Try It on Tuesday. Congrats to all our spotlight artists. Next week we will post the top for 5 for our snowflake challenge which ran before the holidays.

Our first in 2022  challenge is 
IN WITH THE NEW!

It's time to try something new. Perhaps a new technique, some new stamp(s) or media, a new style, or something you've been wanting to do but  haven't yet.

My something new was some Hero Arts liquid inks used with some Dina Wakely spray paint. The spray paint wasn't new, but the inks ( a gift from a friend) and the inks used with the spray paint were.


I put some drops of ink on my water color paper and then sprayed the page with water to spread out the inks. I wondered what would happen if I sprayed some paint onto the page while the inks were still wet, and when I did that I created this background that reminded me of a bright night sky.  There might even be a bit of the northern lights going on here too. 


I stamped an evergreen tree several times in black along the bottom of the page, and I also used a stamp to create the moon. I colored in the center circle  of the moon with some watered down iridescent white  paint. I also stamped the snowman and his pup on some paper; then after coloring and fussy cutting them, I added them to some white space at the bottom of the page. I also stamped the "snowflakes" around the snowman and the quote, using a bit of paint pen for each snowflake.

I must say I like these Hero Arts liquid watercolors. The colors stayed bold when sprayed with water, and I like how I can spray them to create these spontaneous backgrounds. I know you could spray with a puddle of regular watercolors also, but since these are liquid to start with, you can get a really large spray area if you use a big drop.

All forms of art are accepted at Try It On Tuesday, and this challenge will run for 2 weeks. Don't forget to visit the other designer's blogs too. There's lots of great inspiration there also.

As my journal page also has the snowman's and the snowdog's faces on it, I am linking up to this month's challenge at 
Art Journal Journey.  That new challenge  is Let's Face It.

Thanks for visiting my page. I hope your new year is going well. 





13 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

That's a great approach, Erika. You guys are so creative! A few years ago I made several bird feeders and I was smug about that, but I just worked from a set of plans so it was pretty easy really. I am sure you would have added special touches, with maybe a sunflower seed bar with little perches! Have a wonderful day. Hugs, David

Divers and Sundry said...

The perfect seasonal piece... sparkly!

Valerie-Jael said...

Fabulous piece, Erika. I didn't manage to get anything done this week. Hu, Valerie

Caty said...

What a so gorgeous page Erika ! I love the nighty effect of the inks over the paper, really wonderful. Your stamps are beautiful too.
I wish you a lovely Wednesday
Big hugs, Caty

Jeanie said...

Definitely bold, beautifl and Northern Lights! It's glorious and I think one of my favorites (yet another one!) The colors are fabulous, the tree perfect. Well done!

Mrs.B said...

You've created a fabulous background, the colours look quite magical. Love the intellectual looking snowman, he's so cool, made me smile.
Hugs Avril xx

one irrational bean said...

Love this Erica, really cute. Looks like you had fun. At LLBean too

Iris Flavia said...

That´s very cool, great work!
I bought a calligraphy pen and have no idea yet what to do with it (or when!).

craftytrog said...

Great technique, I love that background Erika!

Meggymay said...

A fantastic painted background for those cute snow
Stay safe.
Yvonne xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

This is beautiful Erika- those colours look amazing. I really love that snowman and his dog. Hugs, Chrisx

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a beautiful page! I love how you used those liquid watercolours to create that gorgeous background and the snowman and dog are such fun too 😀. Thanks for the inspiration and Happy New Year! Hugs Jo x

NatureFootstep said...

your new colors seem very interesting. At least they helped creating a beautiful winter scene. :)