Friday, March 11, 2022

Using up Some Scraps


Hi everyone. Happy Friday, already.  March is a strange month because even though in general the weeks go by quickly, it seems like it's been March for quite awhile now. And we're not even that far into the month, are we? 

Today I have a collage spread I made using mostly an assortment of scraps.


You can see the whole spread above. I am trying to use up some of the scraps in my bin, and that is where many of the materials from these pages come from.


This top page's background is made with a scrap of yellow polka dot paper, a paint color card, an embossed piece that I made ages ago for a card that never was to be, as well as small piece of yellow hand made paper. I then added cut out fabric heart, some cut out circles, a vintage looking cat image and this vintage looking girl, both which came off an old journal page I started but didn't like the results so never finished. 


You can see the quote stickers here, as well as some fabric trim, some gold metallic paper suns,  a piece of metallic paper trim and the little spring foam flowers around the girl.

The opposite side of the spread is made with some scrap paper that was the wrapping of this journal, and old (maybe reproduced) can label, the back of a playing card, a couple more fabric hearts and also more of that handmade yellow paper.

To tie it into the other side of the spread I added the cut out circles, the same ribbon, a couple more gold paper suns, as well as another vintage image of the same same decade as the girl on the other side.  And then  I added a few other bits and pieces to finish off the page that include some acetate printed scraps, some metallic little hearts, and the back of an old playing card. I stamped the "beautiful things await you" quote in the space on the can label also.


 

I am linking up to a few challenges today. First of all I am joining Creative Artiste Mixed Media Challenge #80 where the challenge is always Anything Goes, but be sure to use various media.  I am also linking up to Art Journal Journey and Valerie's  challenge for March is spring.

I hope everyone had a great start to your weekend. 
And thanks for visiting my blog.


21 comments:

Iris Flavia said...

This is so fitting to my situation.
I wait for instructions, work-wise. No hardware yet, no idea to be where when on Tuesday.
All a big joke?

Divers and Sundry said...

Such encouraging pieces! I like the colrs :)

DVArtist said...

This is very interesting art. I love it!!!

Carola Bartz said...

You were very successful in using your scraps and creating a lovely spread. I'm very determined to use my old stuff first before I buy anything new. And when I look at your spread I see that it is possible to do that in a creative and beautiful way.

Matilde said...

I like your collage! It's very optimistic 😍 Have a nice weekend!

Angie's Recipes said...

They are FUN!

Pooja Mahimkar said...

Beautiful!

craftytrog said...

A beautiful collage spread with lovely cheery colours Erika! Great use of those scraps.
Have a lovely weekend.
Alison

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Your mixed media pages are fabulous. I love how you have such limited supplies right now, but still manage to make fabulous and fantastic art. Thanks for another great entry for Valerie's theme at AJJ, dear. LOVE that pig. That handmade paper looks familiar!

Jeanie said...

I love the bright, happy colors here. March is such a tease. One day, spring. The next, snow and ice. It's completely erratic. Hang in there... April isn't far away and then the rest of the year will fly too fast!

CJ Kennedy said...

So many things in your scrap bin look so good together. And Spring-y! Let's hope not much snow today and it melts by tomorrow.

Mae Travels said...

I wonder when the vintage girl image is from. She looks familiar in a vague way.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Valerie-Jael said...

Love your scrap page, so much to look for and see, loved it. Thanks again for linking to my challenge at AJJ, hugs, Valerie

Meggymay said...

Fabulous pages that looks so happy that give a wonderful feeling that spring is on the way. A super way to use the scrap pieces.
Yvonne xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow! Fabulous details! Hope things turn green for you soon, hugs, Chrisx

Lowcarb team member said...

A big thumbs up from me, I do like your collage art here.

All the best Jan

Aimeslee Winans said...

Hello there, Erika! Gosh, now that is a very cheery and colorful spread! I hope it made you feel that way whilst creating it. I so need to do this same type of collaging. Bits and bobs are taking over and I can't seem to throw them out. XOXO

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, I love how you used those scraps! Your designs are so amazing and colourful, there is so much to see and every time I look I see something new - fabulous (smile!). Happy wishes! Hugs Jo x
p.s. sorry I haven't been around, my tablet has given up the ghost and it looks like I'll have to get a new one (eek!) so I've resorted to using my laptop for now which isn't as convenient.

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

You did great using all those scraps, you created a very sweet scene with it's quotes and words. The little pig and girl are super vintage images, it definitely has a spring in its step Erika.
Thanks for joining us @ Creative Artiste and sharing this lovely mixed media journal page. Sending creative wishes your way Hugs Tracey xx

Neet said...

I must say just how much I like that embossed piece you made. Love how you used all those scraps, I am impressed with the way you have composed the whole layout, and I love those vintage scraps. The little pig reminds me of Lucie Atwell type characters.
Hugs, Neet xx

Andree said...

Fabulously fun collaged journal pages. Lovely vintage artwork, great added details, gorgeous colour choices and wonderful textures.
Thank you for joining in with our March challenge "Anything Mixed Media Goes" at Creative Artiste Mixed Media. Good luck x