Thursday, October 13, 2022

Maps (So You Don't Get Lost)

 Hi everyone. Happy Thursday to you. 

I'm here today to share another page (actually several) for Elle's challenge at Art Journal Journey. This month the theme is Fairytales, Folktales and Fables: Tell Me a Story

In some fairy tales or fantasy style stories there are maps which lead to  treasure or to adventure. A more modern fairytale where a map plays a role in the JRR Tolkien's the Hobbit.

I am not even going to try to imitate something from a Tolkien book, but I do have some map pages I made for my  travel journal.  I am including those today for Elle's challenge at AJJ.

I'm also going to link up to Rain's Art and Dinner Date.  Rain's theme this week is LOST. When you are lost, one thing that might help is a map of some kind. 


My first map is a part of the road map we grabbed when we picked up our rental car in Salt Lake City. I outlined the different states, colored them in,and  outlined our journey. I also added the speed limit sign that  was from a sheet of  ephemera. I do wish I had an old sign image that had a higher speed limit than 45, as on some of the roads outside of the parks you could drive much faster. No road here in New England is very straight or treeless for long, but out in parts of our trip you could see for miles in the open land.
I finished my map page by using some washi tape along the outer map borders.

I have a couple of other maps in my journal so far (as I have completed).

First here's a map of the park and general area for several miles around the park. I added a few words and stickers and colored in places we went in yellow.


And  next here's a map of the tiny tiny town right next to the park (with a few of my notes on it.)


And finally a map of the ranch where we stayed. I also added a pocket for a few items from the park and ranch that I wanted to keep.


I'm still loving the cooler weather and how it  makes me want to do more in my kitchen. This past week I  made raisin  walnut bread. 


The recipe called for a raisin and walnut swirl, but I think next time I make this bread I will just mix the raisins and walnuts in with the dough. And since this bread tastes great, I will make it again sometime or another.


I have a 1990's version of the Fannie Farmer Cookbook by Marion Cunningham, and that's where this recipe was found. This bread used both white and whole wheat flour as well as milk and butter.


It also uses quite a bit of yeast, which not only makes it rise faster, but kept it very light. I added a little cinnamon sugar to the raisin swirl, and also put some on top of my bread. My loaves look a bit wonky as for some reason they settled in the middle, but it didn't affect the taste or lightness at all.


This bread is excellent toasted for breakfast, and afternoon tea or coffee break snack, and for me, my lunch.

OK, enough said. Thanks so much for getting through my post. Have a wonderful day and rest of your week.


23 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

There is something fundamental and primeval almost about baking bead. Perhaps it's one of the few activities shared by cultures all around the world. Hugs - David

Angie's Recipes said...

The map pages are FUN and educational! You baked some excellent bread, Erika.

DVArtist said...

Nice way to keep the memories. Ohhh the cinnamon bread looks amazing. Have a great day today.

CJ Kennedy said...

The map pages are a fun way to remember your trip. That bread looks wonderful. I bet your house smelled amazing. Baking and art are good ways to stay dry today.

Iris Flavia said...

Great pages. Now that I read yours. Oh, we got lost so often in Australia!
Your bread reminds e a (wee) bit of our Christmas Stollen! Hugs to that (Ingo already had one)

Gillena Cox said...

Yum bread!!!
Luv your response to the prompt.

Much❤love

Valerie-Jael said...

Your art is great, and maps are indeed a good solution to lost! I feel totally lost just now. Your bread looks wonderful. I hope I can get back to baking soon! Hugs, Valerie

kathyinozarks said...

I Love your maps Erika, and yum I love home baked raisin breads-I bake up a gluten free version once in awhile
Happy Thursday

Carola Bartz said...

Your maps are wonderful and such a great way to remember your travels. Baking bread is so satisfying, isn't it? I sometimes try to bake the kind of bread that we used to eat in Germany and that I miss so very much, but it is very difficult since the flour is different and it also takes a lot of time. So I usually make "easier" bread like whole wheat or spelt. Your house must have smelled delicious while you were baking your bread.

Christine said...

Creative page and yummy bread.

Neet said...

There's nothing like the smell of a loaf of bread baking. I can feel my nostrils curling at the thought of your fab bread wafting its delicious aroma over.
Love the maps you have featured today in your journal. What a great idea to map your journey like that and so colourful too. A Lovely fairy tale about your trip showing all the great places visited. Magical!
Hugs, Neet xx

Sharon Fritchman said...

Hi Erika! Mmmmmmmmm! Your bread looks absolutely delicious. I think I can smell it baking . . . . I love the cooler weather, too!! And your map art is stunning - I love all of the pages you made. They are each so beautiful in their own way. Yes, sometimes I feel lost, too. Maps are great for finding your way - in life, too. Thanks for sharing your beautiful art with us! Hugs, Sharon

Rain said...

Oh Erika!!! Raisin bread!!!! Delicious! ☺☺ And what a great take on the prompt of "lost"!!! Map art! That's so creative!!! ♥

Tom said...

...we are homebodies who enjoy a bit of travel. The pandemic put much of that on hold. Enjoy your weekend.

Empire of the Cat said...

What a great idea Erika, love your map pages. I love how you added the Day 1, day 2 etc to the first map and great idea to add a pocket for souvenirs too! Raisin and walnut bread looks delicious, I made soda bread last night as I needed something quick. Thanks for joining me for the October theme at Art Journal Journey this month Elle/Empire of the Cat xx

Aimeslee Winans said...

Oh that bread looks yummy, Erika! And I love your maps. Reminds me of my family genealogy where I charted on a USA map where the migrations of my different branches. Also, back in grade school using map pencils, lol. But it's a great tool as you've used, to document your travels. xoxo

Jeanie said...

That sounds like a fabulous bread recipe. I don't know that Rick has ever made raisin bread -- I'll have to alert him to this one!

Love the maps. They're so personal and such wonderful ways to remember lots of the details of your trips.

Soma @ InkTorrents.com said...

I would be so lost without a map. Love your journal pages so much! The second one (Discover Great Basin) made me think of the map of the Middle Earth. These are amazing, Erika! Your raisin bread looks so good. Happy Weekend!

-Soma

NatureFootstep said...

nice post Erika, I love maps and use some daily. If not to know what road I travelled but to remember the name of the farm I walked by. I never remember the names :)
I can´t travel anywhere without bringing a map. :)

pearshapedcrafting said...

I absolutely love all of your maps Erika. I must say I prefer to follow a map than use sat nav. Your bread looks wonderful - it sounds like a good combination. Hugs, Chrisx

Divers and Sundry said...

I want to stop by and have some of that bread with you :) It does look delicious! Nobody here likes raisins except me, and I forget about it once I put it in the freezer.

Let's Art Journal said...

I so enjoyed seeing your travel pages! It's a great way to capture all those amazing memories and it looked like a fun adventure, so much to see and do 😊. Your bread sounds delicious and how lovely to get back to baking now the cooler temperatures are here. Happy wishes! Hugs Jo x

Michelle said...

I love your maps! What a cool journal idea.