Friday, October 21, 2022

The Future Will Be Told


Hi everyone. Happy end of the week to you.

Today I am joining Elle's Fairy Tales, Folktales and Fables: Tell Me a Story challenge over at Art Journal Journey. As my journal page has a face, I am also joining Nicole's Friday Face Off  . And since it is Friday, I am also joining Gillena's Friday Lunch Break.


This page was fun and relaxing to make. Picking out and layering images in a collage is something I enjoy.
First I inked some watercolor paper with black ink to create that bumpy looking texture.  I added part of a larger sheet of printed paper onto the black background. The night sky on the top left is cut from a piece of paper. Then I laid out the various images I had. 

To tie my page together, I added some thin washi tape and black fabric trim. I added one black plastic rescued star, some small star sequins, as well as a couple of die cut silver paper stars that were laying on my table. I also added the small black cat which was laying on my work table also.

Finally I stamped the quote you can read below.


My story (for Elle's challenge) behind this page has 2 origins. First of all Fortune Tellers may possibly be a scam, but they are sometimes fun to hear. Years ago one of my friends had a fortune telling party. The only 2 things I remember during my visit to the fortune teller  was that some  relative of mine watches over me at my house, and because he was a brick/stone mason, he loves my stone living room fireplace. My cousin thinks this person is her dad, because the fortune teller also told me that the man had a very unusual name. My uncle did have an unusual for the US name, but still, I'm not totally convinced as I had several brick and stone masons in my family background.But I suppose, if true, it could be him. And while I'm writing about this, how did the fortune teller even know I had an interesting stone fire place?

The fortune teller also told me I should sell my watercolor paintings. I said what watercolor paintings? I still remember that comment and sometimes think I should try my hand at watercolor painting because what if she was right? Smile.

My other inspiration is the book I was listening to as I made this page, where one of the main character's friends is able to read cards, palms, tea leaves, etc. I might be totally off track, but I don't really remember any fortune tellers in any of the fairy tales I'm familiar with.

And while I'm mentioning my fireplace, here's at least part of mine, which also has a few faces on it right now. 


Thanks for stopping by my blog. Enjoy the start of your weekend. 

24 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

great art page Erika, and I loved seeing your fireplace perfect for fall and halloween Happy friday and weekend hugs Kathy

Gene Black said...

I love the vintage face on your page as well as the quote. I am always looking for those "magic things."

Angie's Recipes said...

I love your fireplace!

DVArtist said...

Ohhh I love this magical piece of art. There is so much going on in it and you have balanced it out perfectly. I would love this hanging in my art room. LOL Thank you for joining Friday Face OFF and have a great day today.

CJ Kennedy said...

Very cool page and I like the backstory of your visit with the fortune teller. Your fireplace is beautiful and I love all your Fall and Halloween decorations. A warm up today and tomorrow. Enjoy!

Valerie-Jael said...

Love your page, very cleverly made! Scam or not, that's the question. I was at a fortune teller when I was younger, and she told me a lot of things which were / or came true. Spooky! Love your wonderful firepace! Hugs, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

Great page! We once in Tuscany met an automatic Fortune Teller where you put your hands in. I think I kept the lille notes that came out.

Do you know the series "The Mentalist"?
It explains how some have a talent to "read" people, quite interesting!
He´s even - as I think - an attractive guy ;-)

carol l mckenna said...

Wow! Awesome journal page ~ very creative ~ Xo


Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Christine said...

Lovely page!

Gillena Cox said...

Love your art and little ditty today. Happyy you linked to Art For Fun Friday at my blog



Much❤love

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

OMGosh. I am in LOVE with that fireplace. It is amazing. And I love the story you told about the fortune teller. The images remind me of Collage Cats art I used to get in their newsletters. They work well with your story and with Elle's theme at Art Journal Journey, too, dear.

Fundy Blue said...

What a great Halloween fireplace you have created, Erika. I'm not settled on how I feel about fortune tellers. I've been astounded at some of the things different ones have told me; also tarot readers. My scientific side says hogwash and my intuitive side is left gaping at how spot on they've been sometimes. The eyes of the fortune teller in your collage are mesmerizing! It's an awesome piece of art ~ just wonderful!

kwarkito said...

a beautiful art page and a very evocative collage

NatureFootstep said...

both Journals are beautiful .
In the first one I was drawn to the stars in the sky. I had a telescope once but as I live in a city it was hard to use. Too much light in the city destroys much of the wonder of the sky.
The second one is a very lovely and cosy fireplace. Ypou have Halloween there but it makes me think of Christmas a cold wintersday. :)

Michelle said...

I love this Fortune Teller themed collage. Such interesting elements. And what a cool story! Your fireplace is amazing. I love how you’ve decorated it for the season.

Lowcarb team member said...

That is a lovely page, and I like your fireplace.

All the best Jan

Neet said...

What a fantastic face that is - perfect for a fortune teller, what else could she be?
I can see you had fun with this page bringing in the various elements and I love the stars you chose - that sky is strong and compelling, as is the eye.
As for the fireplace - WOW, it is beautiful. I can just imagine curling up in front of that when it is burning logs, me with a book on my lap.
Hugs, Neet xx

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Fantastic art work! I love Fortune Teller art. I hope you're having beautiful Fall weather there. (Although today is supposed to be rain for me here in CT. But I prefer that over snow. One year we had snow very close to Halloween, and it took down tree branches and power lines all over. Very bad.)

Divers and Sundry said...

I love the fortune-telling theme. I think of fortune-telling as less future forecasting and more alternative counseling :)

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

I love the Journal page and the beautiful woman looks so familiar ... should we know who she is? I love the saying also and I too wish peoples senses would grow sharper. As for water color painting ... you should give it a try. You might surprise yourself and who knows what your fortunes might bring :) Love your fire place ... love Halloween much? I am curious about the handle in the chimney section ... have a purpose? Or just for appearances? Have a great week, Erika ...

Andrea @ From the Sol

Aimeslee Winans said...

Okay, that fireplace is fabulous! What is that in the middle, some kind of handle? I would love to know the history of this fireplace, as it looks lovingly handmade from what was handy. I also like your page very much. Nice composition and colors. Your stpry intrigues me but if it really was your uncle then he had to have told the teller about your fireplace...right? Hahaha What we should know is that we don't know everything, so hey, I'm keeping an open mind. And yes, try watercoloring if you desire! XOX

Empire of the Cat said...

I love your fortune teller page Erika, she looks like a silent movie star, so she could definitely play that role. Also love your story about the real fortune teller, interesting about what she knew or worked out, or divined? about the stone masons and the fireplace! Hmmmm food for thought indeed. Your fireplace is really lovely too, Thanks for joining me for the October theme at Art Journal Journey this month Elle/Empire of the Cat xx

Elkes Lebensglück said...

Great magical page! A great interesting story and do it with the Aqualles painting! That's the only way you can find out if there's anything wrong with it.
Have a beautiful Week, hug Elke

Let's Art Journal said...

Stunning page! Loving the magic fortune telling theme with the fabulous quote 😊. Your Halloween decorations look amazing, such fun 🎃🎃🎃. Hugs Jo x