Friday, August 18, 2017

More from the Corning Glass Museum

Happy Friday everyone. Today I am showing you more of the glass art from the Corning Glass Museum in Corning, New York (rather than any of my own art).
I showed you some earlier this week, and if you want to see it, here's the link: Glass Museum part 1.
This museum was huge, and although we spent  several hours there, we didn't see it all. I ended up taking photos of just some things I liked or found interesting. Here's some more from the large art glass exhibit. It was displayed in this very large stark white hall which made it all the more avant garde I think.
Ready?
How about this glass bomb and some dynamite?

It's amazing the different colors, textures and shapes an artist can make with glass. Talk about a versatile medium.
And this one was really cool. Black glass rope, right?
Glass beads to make rope.  It must have taken forever to make this piece.
Fantastic textures.




Bird and then HUGE glass fruit, not that you can tell that it is that big here.  Each piece was definitely bigger than my hand.



There is a glass piece similar to this one at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts.




 And then we can move into the History of Glass gallery, which was even bigger. There was glass from the earliest human civilizations (that used glass) right up to modern glass. I think someone could spend an entire day just in the gallery. It was really quite complete as far as I could tell. I think I photograph maybe 1/10,000 of the items, and I still took well over 60 photos just in the gallery. I will wait to share those another day
Hope you enjoyed the views.

11 comments:

CJ Kennedy said...

That's amazing. We always think of glass being very smooth. I never imagined glass could have so much texture

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful photos, thanks for sharing. As I am a big glass fan, these photos made me happy. Enjoy your day, hugs, Valerie

Faye said...

Wow, oh wow! I love glass and have colored bottles and other glass on 3 of my window ledges. How I would love to visit this place you've shown. The pieces are unbelievable! Love the fruit. The first piece is fantastic too. Thanks for showing all this. It perks up my day!

froebelsternchen said...

Oh yes - I enjoyed the views! A fanastic exhibit! GORGEOUS!
Happy weekend Erika!
oxo Susi

nanskidrewski said...

so cool...I really, really, really want to go there. Amazing! Wow!

Meggymay said...

One word to say about these great photos and that is WOW, all the exhibits look wonderful, I was drawn to the glass ropes, they must have taken days to make or maybe weeks.
Yvonne xx

Rita said...

Hard to believe some of these are even glass! Amazing artwork. :)

Rike said...

Oh WOW, such gorgeous glass objects in the museum! Thank you for the photos, I also visited your older post about!
Beautiful mixed media piece you made, with great textures - I saw it in the post before!

Divers and Sundry said...

These photos from the glass museum are fascinating! I don't know much about the history of glass work.

Let's Art Journal said...

Oh my goodness, I'm speechless ...well not quite ...lol 😉. This museum is spectacular, the glass pieces are breathtaking, how did they make that black rope and those fabulous textures out of glass - wow! Thanks so much for sharing your fabulous photos, I really enjoyed visiting the museum with you! It's nearly Friday so I'm hoping that the weekend give you a break relaxing break from school 😁. Have a lovely evening! J 😊

Jeanie said...

Wow -- I thought your other glass post was great. But this is even better. That rope! WOW. And the Chihuly. Love his work. What a great visit!