Monday, August 7, 2017

T Stands for a Change of Plans

Its Tuesday and you know what that means. It is T Day.
Time to share drink related posts-and you can have food and other activities too.
Stop by Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog to see what the T Gang has been up to.
So for my T day post I am sharing an adventure my husband and I had last Friday evening.
This is a painting of Lake Winnipesaukee which is also known as the Big Lake. There are 8 towns located on the Big Lake. The Big Lake is about 15-20 minutes away from my house and is also a HUGE tourist destination, especially people from Massachusetts, and other states. We often go boating on the lake, but this year we haven't yet done so. We talked about going out Friday afternoon since my husband gets out of work at noon on Friday's in the summer.  But because of the threat of thunderstorms we decided not to go.
Of course the storms never came so later in the afternoon we decided to drive over to Meredith Bay and go to a restaurant we enjoy. Our house is south of Alton Bay which is on the right bottom side of this photo. 
 This is about the closest you will get to a tropical beach restaurant in New Hampshire.
There's lots of outdoor seating on the sand covered patio. If you come by boat there are docks to tie up to, and if you drive, like we did, there's a parking lot for your car.


 The restaurant is right on the lake, and you can see it was a nice late afternoon.
So we got a table and looked through the menu. The Town Docks has some pretty wild drinks, including one of my favorites which is this Watermelon Bowl for 2. This one looks like the bartender had a few too many of these before they made ours.
And  we also ordered fried pineapple for an appetizer while we decided what to order for dinner.
And while we were slurping and chatting and deciding what to have for dinner, I looked up and noticed some dark clouds coming from the northwest. So I checked the radar on my phone.
Ut oh. I think we were going to be in trouble.
And within a minute the rain started, rather lightly at first, and then within the next minute, it got heavier, and then heavier still. Then there was a rumble of thunder, and everyone grabbed their meals and dashed for the covered areas.  
We managed to get a corner on a covered bar so we could finish our watermelon bowl.
I think the only the ducks liked it.
They took advantage of the empty area to search for scraps before slipping back into the lake. :)
Of course the shower lasted about  10 minutes, and then the sky started to lighten. But by then the deck was empty, the tables were all wet  and the mood had changed. 
So my husband and I decided to skip dinner and head on out.
Sometimes the best made plans just aren't meant to be I guess.
Have a Happy T day everyone.

19 comments:

CJ Kennedy said...

I've never been to Lake Winnipesaukee. Too bad your plans were spoiled by the weather. At least the Watermelon Bowl had a smile and fried pineapple sounds delicious. Enjoy your day!

kathyinozarks said...

So sorry you got rained out-but that looks like a very cool place to eat with lots of seating-and right near the water.
Perhaps next time Happy T Day

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I really LOVED seeing the lake you live near, and the entire area in map form. That's a pretty big boat (SHIP, even) to be on that lake,

The lake view is wonderful and it's great that they cater to both cars and boats, which I thought was unique (since there's no water anywhere near where I live, except for the rivers).

Loved your Watermelon bowl for 2. Didn't you order one of those before, or is my mind going the way of my blog posts (grin)?

So glad you made it to safety, but after seeing your photos of the downpour, I get the feeling my new umbrella won't be very useful in a downpour.

Thanks for sharing your day on the lake. The best laid plans can turn into a mad dash for shelter with your watermelon drink. So glad you shared this fun afternoon out with us for T this almost Tuesday.

Valerie-Jael said...

Sorry you never got your dinner, but the snack you had looked great, and it was at least a big adventure!. Sometimes things just don't go as we plan them!
That looks a lovely place to be, though! Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

Dortesjs said...

great photos great blog

johanna said...

you are living in a wonderful area, no wonder you have to share it with lots of tourists!
oh, we also had the thunder-and-lightning game several times this summer. and also the other way round: we cancelled plans because of the forecast, and then nothing arrived (well, good so anyway).
happy t-day, erika - love your new Header!

Let's Art Journal said...

What an amazing place right by the lake and to be only 15-20 minutes away is such a treat! The watermelon bowl and pineapple fritters looked well worth the visit despite of the rain - yum! And your comment about the bartender had me smiling too ... lol 😁. I love the cheery bright coloured table covers and views over the lake too. Wishing you a Happy T Day! J 😊
p.s. thanks for your lovely comments on my blog! J x

chrissie said...

Happy T Day Erika

A great post to read about where you went to see the wonderful views, food and drink. The changes when the rain arrives are something that we can all share in all over the world I imagine-I certainly can on the NE UK Coast.

Love Chrissie xx

froebelsternchen said...

You are the best reporter ever!
I was with you at this trip!
Thank you for sharing all the pretty photos and your day with me - oh such tempting food - good that it doesn't bring fat to my hips by just looking at it-lol.
A wonderful area where you live - that lake looks fantastic!
Happy T-Day!
oxo Susi

Meggymay said...

That was one eventful day you had. Your destination looks lovely and the restaurant a haven to stop at on a summer day. I did smile at the advertising of food to go by car or boat.
Your food choices sounded delicious as well.
But phew what a weather change and you were able to show us the photos.
I think many folk would have missed the meal and gone home.
Have a happy T Day.
Yvonne xx

Halle said...

Those rainstorms can come up real quick! I love places on the water that you can dock your boat and get a bite to eat. Of course, we'd need a boat. LOL
Happy T day!

Carol said...

Looks like a fun place to eat and at least you got to have that great looking drink :) Thanks for stopping by my blog and have a GREAT "T: DAY!!!!!

Divers and Sundry said...

It sounds like a fun outing for atmosphere, appetizer, and a drink even if the main course was rained out. Sometimes being flexible saves the day. Happy T Tuesday!

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

Is that supposed to be a smiley face on the watermelon bowl, Erika? lol. It's still a pretty interesting looking drink - a drink-built-for-two, sort of like the bicycle. I've never heard of fried pineapple.

Darn, I was looking forward to seeing a nice lobster roll or something like that on your plates. Oh well, you can't fight Mother Nature.

Happy T-Day! Hugs, Eileen

pearshapedcrafting said...

Looks like a great place to visit - even though your plans had to be changed! Deep fried pineapple sounds good! Happy T day! Chrisx

Krisha said...

What luck for the shower to show up during a wonderful afternoon! It looks like a place I would love to visit......not to sure about the watermelon drink LOL!
Happy T-day

Lisca said...

What a lovely place! And you did enjoy your coctail and starter. We say it's sod's law that it would rain.
I have never Heard of that lake (I'm not even sure where New Hampshire is. I know vaguely where to look. I will go look it up on themap now!)But it sounds and looks wonderful.
What was your watermelon coctail like? Sweet? I can't imagine what it would taste like... I'm not sure I would try that...
Belated happy T-Day,
Lisca

Words and Pictures said...

Anywhere with lobster is fine by me... even in a rainstorm. That watermelon drink looks amazing!
Alison x

Jeanie said...

I love the tropical beach and the food looks delish but that storm, not so much! Glad it didn't last too long or at least that you cleared out before it came back! But a memorable day out, no matter!