Sunday, March 11, 2007

Paris fashion week exhibit at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston

http://www.mfa.org/exhibitions/sub.asp?key=15&subkey=2139

Check out this website for this exhibit at the MFA in Boston. Went down today with two 15 year old girls and my friend Vicky. Wow. These clothes were pretty spectacular. Now I can't say I'm much of a fashionista but the artist in me really enjoyed looking at the designs. The details! The Christain Dior designer did a gothic Marie Antionette/French Revolution meets 2006- wow- not really my personal dress style but enjoyed the arty-theatrical rock star look of it. And also the Maison Martin Margiela selections were really fascinating. I overheard some women saying they didn't get it- but there was a vest made from playing cards and another made from strings of beads. They also a men's shirt made from handkerchiefs. I like the way they create clothes from non-traditional materials. I did not like the furs of Hussein Chalayan-hopefully that's the right person, and Valentino was yawn- really traditional- but lots of the women there seemed to find them fascinating- and there was a few outfits in there that weren't bad but as a collection overall. Also one set of designers made these 50's style dresses and trench coats- utilitarian versus dramatic- with silver coating on the dresses and the belts- some of them were very pretty.

I'm not sure who did my favorite collection- but they used lots of grays and as Vicky said- they had an architectural feel. A few even had puffy upolstered arms and colors. A few things in that collection would work for me and even have inspired me to maybe fix up a few of my current clothes. Might be fun- though sewing clothes isn't exactly my favorite thing to do.

Of course- it all came down to details which is true in most things we do in life- including the art I do. I plain piece can become something spectacular with the right details. The tough part is being able to discover the correct details, what to use to make those details, and how to make it unique and at the same time your own and on top of that, make it something people actually like or find interesting- maybe more importantly- that it makes people think or react- even if they don't like it.

No comments: