Monday, July 23, 2018

T Stands for a Newfoundland Food Tour

Hi ladies. Happy Tuesday and Happy T day. Today for T I am going to take you on a culinary tour of some foods which I discovered in Newfoundland .
Hopefully this won't be too long or overwhelming.
 I am going to first start with this beer my husband had with dinner one night. I took a couple of sips. It was light and refreshing.
And I actually wanted to try this  Vinland Martini cocktail when we stopped for lunch one day, but I also didn't want  an alcoholic drink at lunchtime as I would be down for the count for the rest of the day. I am a lightweight as I have been constantly reminded from my daughter when I had 2 margaritas on the 4th of July and then needed to go take a nap. :)
So I had water instead.
And one day my husband and I had to try another local specialty for lunch

 I actually once had moose many years ago when I visiting relatives in Sweden. But that time is was in a roast form. I guess I found the burger a little strong tasting compared to plain old beef burger, but my husband enjoyed his. But now I can say I have had one.
And a local berry called Bakeapple is found  in Newfoundland. It is also known as cloudberry, which I had all those years ago in Sweden also.  But since I couldn't remember what it tasted like, I tried it in this pie.
 To me if was like a mix of apple and orange together. I liked it, but with a little ice cream on it it would have been even better.
 Then we tried a local meat that is popular in a sandwich. It is  lightly sweetened beef concoction called a donair. The sweet tasted like maple syrup but I am not sure about that. When I looked up the recipe on how to make donair I don't see anything sweet in the ingredients at all. This local pizza chain had created a donair pizza that wee tried.
I enjoyed the cool veggies on the top of the warm meet and cheese, but no tomato sauce.
 I'm not sure the husband cared for the Donair.
 We also tried a seafood pizza. We ordered the small pizzas which was six inches in size, so even though my photos might make them look big, they were not. We each ordered a different pizza and shared with each other.
 One  night for dinner I wasn't very hungry so I ordered an egg and one of these local fried breads called a touton. It was served with cranberry sauce and molasses. I don't think you were suppose to mix the 2 sauces together but you could use one or other. I prefered the cranberry sauce over the molasses, and this touton was so big I couldn't finish it. It was tasty, and from what I read about its history, it was created as a way not to waste  left over bread dough.

And since Newfoundland was partly settled because of it's rich fishing in the Grand Banks, there was lots of cod on the menu. (And sadly, cod fishing is very limited now because of overfishing from all the big trawlers that came from all over the world for cod but there is  still have enough for it to be popular on the menu everywhere  we went.)
 One day  I had delicious seafood chowder (and a diet coke).
 I would have tried these cod tongues actually, but it seemed like a lot of cash just for a taste. And there was no way my husband was going to split an order with me.
 And a couple of times I had fish and chips.
Fish and chips is one of my favorites anyhow. But I liked how in Newfoundland they used the fluffier British style batter on the fish than we have here in the US. Just no mushy peas (which I wish we had here). Instead the fish was served with coleslaw like we get in the US.
And one my other best meals was this lunch. A beef brisket, provolone cheese and shrimp sandwich. Who knew the 2 flavors of beef  and shrimp worked so well together? It was really cold that particular day (I even bought a winter hat as the wind was whipping and bitingly cold) and the warm sandwich hit the spot.
Of course water and a diet coke to drink for me.
And lastly, I have 2 other sweets bites to share with you.
First of all, another local berry. This is partridgeberry pie-with ice cream this time. Partridgeberry is slightly tart and related to cranberries here in the US.
Later when I looked it up I found out it is also called lingonberry, which is very common in Swedish cooking and I've had many times. But never in pie, and I really liked it that way.
And finally, no trip to Canada would be complete without a stop at this Canadian Institution:
Tim Horton's. We got a mini box of donut holes, mainly because I do like a good donut or donut hole for a snack on occasion. It made good junk food while on the road. :)
Stop by Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog to join the T day fun.
I just mailed my ATC's out this morning so I'm not showing anything to ruin the surprise. Next week!
Thanks for visiting my blog.



21 comments:

Linda Kunsman said...

wow- what rich foods! I think I just gained 15 pounds by the end of your post:):) Happy T day and thanks for sharing your culinary adventure!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

WOW, that's a LOT of food and drink. If a person wasn't hungry or thirsty when they started reading this, they are now. I want that cobalt blue bottle your husband's iceberg beer came in. Thanks for sharing all the food, desserts, and drinks with us for T this week. I know you must have enjoyed every meal, too!

Sharon Madson said...

All the pies and sweets look good, but I will pass on the moose and the cod. LOL. Happy T Day!

Kate Yetter said...

These food look amazing! While I don't know about moose burgers everything else looks so yummy. I am with Linda, I think I gained weight just looking at all your food pictures today. Thanks for sharing.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Valerie-Jael said...

Oh my, I'm glad you didn't need to go hungry in Newfoundland. Glad you found lots of exciting, new food and drinks to try out. Have a happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

WOW, I am happy you shared all the specialities of Newfoundland with us!
I have learned a lot !
We had cod this Sunday with many fried onions and garlic and fried potatoes and cucumber salad. We love this! We would never think of eating coleslaw to fish here. Coleslaw is traditional for roast pork and dumplings here or for potatoe dumplings stuffed with greaves or stuffed with sausage or stuffed with meat. Lingonberries are served here mostly to dishes of wild game or fried cheese. And at Ikea...lol!
I love to learn about the worldwide cuisines - so I was very happy about this posting dear Erika!
I loved the Chef's Table series on Netflix as well.
HAPPY T-DAY my freind!
Hugs, Susi

johanna said...

oh my, you really made me HUNGRY now... mouth watering post!
love the iceberg bottle and the label on it. if at home i would have soaked the bottle to save the label as ephemera to work with;)
happy t-day:)

Meggymay said...

Gosh its hours until lunch and I am quite hungry after reading your post.
You had such a variety on interesting meals, good to try something different when away from home. Of all the photos you shared I have to say I was drawn to the fish and chips, the batter did look so like our English version.
Happy T day wishes Erika.
Yvonne xx

kathyinozarks said...

Wow I am hungry now it all looked so good. I would have enjoyed trying the moose burger and the seafood pizza. The martini did sound delicious too
Happy T Day Hugs

Caty said...

Wowwww Erika, It ´s lunch time here now, and after seing those photos, I ´m more hungry than 5 minutes ago... :D
I ´ve smiled when you said that the cake needs ice cream on it , and I agree, totally
I wish you a very nice day, big hugs.... Caty
(I fly to the kitchen ))

CJ Kennedy said...

I like a trip you can eat through. I thought Moose burger was because of its size! I'll skip the Donair pizza and stick to the old-fashioned Mozzarella and sauce. The pies looks awesome and I agree they need whipped cream or ice cream to complete them. i think I'll go look up Touton as that looked yummy, too. Stay dry and cool today

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

Fascinating, Erika. I had no idea the food was so different in Newfoundland. Most of it looks delicious. I'd pass on the tongue and the martinis (they're way to strong for me). The berry info was very interesting. The pies looked and sounded yummy.

I made a series (my 1st) of ATCs just for fun. One of them has your name on if you'd be kind enough to send me your snail mail address to eileen @ theartfulcrafter . com (take out the spaces).

Happy T-day! Hugs, Eileen

Jeanie said...

Interesting. I believe in at least sampling some of the local regional food when one travels -- what's the point if you're going to go to the chains you can go to at home? Moose soup sounds a little gamey! The beer looks good!

jinxxxygirl said...

Well Erika i already ruined your surprise... You know what your ATC looks like ... oops.... Well i hope you like it anyway.. I look forward to yours!!

What a smorgasbord of food !!! It all looks really good... Especially the fish and chips... love me some tartar sauce with that.. So great that you tried so much of the local food.. When traveling in Europe with friends the only food they wanted was McDonalds... didn't understand that and still don't... Great post! Happy T day Hugs! deb

Divers and Sundry said...

Wow! Such a variety! I'd have definitely tried the moose burger. The pie looks tasty, and I've never heard of that fruit so I'd have had to try that, too ;) Donair and touton are also foods I've never heard of. This trip is an education for me, and I didn't even go on it lol!

Happy T Tuesday!

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, such a variety of foods to choose from! I like the look of the seafood chowder and the beef brisket, provolone cheese and shrimp sandwich - yum 😁. I'd also like to try some of those sweet treats and the touton ...lol 😉. Thanks for sharing and wishing you the happiest of T Days! J 😊 x

Lisca said...

Well, I have learnt so much about all those lovely foods from Newfoundland. And of course it has also made me very hungry. And like Linda, I have probably put on a few pound too.
Thank you so much for the food info. I really enjoy learning about foods in other countries.
Happy T-Day,
Lisca

Dianne said...

wow, a lot of scrumptious food you've shared! that lingonberry pie looks especially tempting...have to admit that I'd probably pass on the moose burger, but the pizzas look pretty good too! happy T day!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Enjoyed seeing and reading about the foods you experienced on your trip, Erika. We are also trying lots of familiar and not so familiar foods on our cross country USA trip and I plan to do some future blog posts on ones we’ve enjoyed. I also like fish and chios and the cod chowder looked great, but I would pass on the moose food.

pearshapedcrafting said...

I am not much of a red meat eater (pork occasionally) but the desserts ..actually another 'no, no' on account of the sugar ...look delicious! The Fish and chips would be my choice here, especially freshly caught, and although I like mushy peas, coleslaw might work for me!!Belated Happy T day! Chrisx

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

Hi Erika,

I left a comment on this post for T-Tuesday and I was sure it went for moderation. Did you get it? If not, I'm sorry. I did visit. I found all the Newfie food very interesting and tasty looking except for the tongue and the martini (not my cup of tea ;-)

Hugs, Eileen