Friday, April 5, 2019

Friday Catch Up

Hi everyone. It is Friday  already. We are in the middle of mid-semester exams at school right now, which means that on Monday we start the 4th and last quarter of the school year.  And that means only 5 quarters left until retirement. Not that I'm counting or anything like that.
Smile.
So I have another tag for the Birds, Nest and Egg challenge at Tag Tuesday.  I am always amazing how crowded bird nests get before the babies are ousted, so my take on that is these crazy birds from a Stampotique cube that I stacked and colored. I added some filaments off a crow feather that I had found last summer.
I did make the background light blue but it isn't showing up, so you will have to pretend you can see that.
And even though it is now April 5, they are saying we might get some snowflakes tonight. Luckily they are saying not enough to accumulate much more than a light dusting but still. Come on old man winter, time to hibernate or go to the other hemisphere. 
And here's my latest read. I am loving this book so far.
This book is set in 1930's Malaysia. Ji Lin (the main character) finds a dried human finger and there seems to be other people who want it also. Ren is a boy whose "master" dies and it is his finger that is missing. Ren goes to find the finger so when his "master" moves on he will go complete. So at some point, these 2 characters are going to meet. I just haven't got that far yet. There's also a murder which so far seems unrelated to the finger story but you know they are going to intertwine somehow.

And I had one of those Ancestry moments this week. A distance cousin who I discovered posted some photos on her Ancestry account. She found them in this book.
 And what was in this book? To start with a photo of my great grandfather, who I had never seen a photo of, with this interesting little write up. They said he was born in Silesia, which I had heard of but didn't know much about. I knew that side of the family was from Poland but didn't know any details about where. I had a little read up on geography. You learn something new every day, don't you?
The other interesting thing is there is another photo in the book of my grandmother and all her siblings taken at a wedding in 1945. That's another nice find since I don't have photos of them either.
And this week I got new sunglasses! 

So it's been a good week for me. 
Hope yours has been good too.




16 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Love, love, love that funky tag, so pretty. Love the stamps you used, too. Thanks for making another tag for TT, much appreciated. Your mystery book sounds good, I think I will try to get that one as well. I'm reading a book just now where toes go missing! And great that you found family connections in the ancestry book, that's wonderful. Time flies, that's true, you can start counting the days soon! Great photo, too! Enjoy your weekend, hugs, Valerie

CJ Kennedy said...

I love the birds on your tag. Exciting family connection find. My neighbor Flo (Prissy on my blog and I miss her so) grew up in that neighborhood in Worcester. I'm thinking Our Lady of Czestochowa is St. Mary's Church that you can see from 290? Cool glasses, too. Enjoy your day.

froebelsternchen said...

I love your fabulous tag Erika! A*M*A*Z*I*N*G !!!
And that's so interesting with your Polish great grandfather!
Happy weekend !
Hugs, Susi

Divers and Sundry said...

These ancestry finds are fascinating! It's wonderful to see photos of relatives you've never seen and hear about their histories.

That book sounds like something I'd enjoy. I'll make a note of it for my next library trip. Thx for the recommendation :)

Cool shades!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I LOVE that tag, Erika. I really like how you used the feathers. This was so fun.

Like your haircut. My kind of cut, too, except I like my bangs long. Nice to see new sunglasses, too.

So happy to read you found more missing links and photos of your relatives. What a fun find that must have been.

R's Rue said...

Beautiful.

Meggymay said...

First of all I can relate to you counting down to your last term in school, at first it seem so far away then gathers speed and then WOW the beginning of a new adventure and doing just what you want as each day dawns.
It a great tag and the bird images you used look so cute.
It must be so interesting to find photos of of your family members printed in books, you will have more time to follow your families history soon.
I like the new sunglasses, super reflections of the route you were taking..
Have a good weekend.
Yvonne xx

Caty said...

Woowww this is an absolutely Gorgeous birds tag Erika !! Really wonderful the four birds, love their happy colours, and the feather you added them, just Amazing !! The book may be very interesting. And what a chance to have found a photograph of your grand-parents, that ´s fantastique !! Your new sun galsses are very beautiful!!
I wish you a very happy weekend,
Big hugs, Caty

Mia said...

I llllove your new sunglasses, Erika. They are modern and stylish!!!
And what an amazing page!!!!!!!! Hugs, sweetie.

Lowcarb team member said...

What super sunglasses, and I love the reflection in them too.

Have a great weekend.

All the best Jan

Astrid Maclean said...

A super fun tag using some awesome stamps! Not sure the book would be quite up my street, anyway, I have a pile of books on my list and won't have much time to read in the next few weeks. Your ancestry discovery is just amazing, how wonderful!!! And very snazzy sunnies! Hope they will get good use!!

Jeanie said...

That is SO exciting about the photos in the Wooster book. I would be over the moon if I could find something like that from my "people."

I love your cute tag -- and good pick on the sunglasses. Happy weekend!

Wilma Simmons (Empress Wu Designs) said...

Your crowded nest tag is brilliant - and as a retired teacher and high school principal, I understand the feeling of eagerly counting down the days before retirement Best wishes

craftytrog said...

An interesting post Erika! I love the tag art!
Alison xx

Let's Art Journal said...

I'm loving your tag! The birds are super cute and I love the happy colours that you used 😁. Your sunglasses look fabulous too and I'm glad that you had a good week! Hugs, J 😊 x

Marjut said...

Beautiful tag!