Saturday, April 13, 2019

Waiting for the Rain to Stop

Hi everyone. Some rain is passing through right now, but hurrah for rain and not snow.
It should be gone in an hour or so and then it suppose to warm up. We have to finish our tax forms today (as they are due Monday) which is one chore I detest! Otherwise my day is open and hopefully I can get outside and enjoy it.
So I have a new page for Wendy's Have Fun challenge at Art Journal Journey. Today my page celebrates road trips, which are one of my favorite things to do. It is always exciting to go see something new or make a discovery.
My page began with a Gelli printed piece of paper, and then I added this cool map overlay which is printed on acetate. I don't remember what these were for, but I found a stack in the back of one of my classroom file cabinets. (When I get a little down time at work-which usually means I don't feel like working- I have started to go through the files in my file cabinets. There are so many thing in them that I have collected in the past 36 years that they need a good cleaning out, and since I will have enough to clean out next year at this time, I might as well get rid of the things I don't need now.) 
Since I don't even remember what I had these acetate maps for and haven't used them in decades, I  brought them home and thought they would be fun for playing with.
The little blue car is hand drawn and painted. Then I cut out a couple of faces from a magazine to use for the driver and passenger. If I had a found a good dog face I would have put them in the backseat, but there were no dog faces during my looking.
Finally I used a piece of paper tape for the road, and stapled it down to make the middle line. The car needed some spring cheer so I added some flower stickers.  I also added a couple of big flower stickers up near the adventure word , but they aren't showing up very well in the photo. The car quote is stamped on paper and added also. Finally, the big words are some letter stickers.
Here's a little too dark view where the flowers do show up better, but the colors are not quite accurate. The light also doesn't reflect off the acetate on this one so you get a better actual view.

I'm actually off tomorrow on a road trip. My daughter is home and we are going down to IKEA which is a little over 2 hours away. I need one more bookcase to finish my bookcase wall in her old bedroom, and it is time again for another book purge. It made sense to me to do this right now while I am in a cleaning/purging mood.
And my daughter has a list of her own, so my car is probably going to be very full on the way home. (smile)
And so I get a road trip plus a day with my daughter at the same time.
My all your roads be smooth and not full of potholes or frost heaves.
Happy weekend.

18 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I finished my taxes on Thursday and already have confirmation that both the state and federal have received them. I used to hate doing taxes, but now with computer software, it's very easy. Like you, I tend to wait until the last minute to do them.

Your road trip is beautiful. I love how you used the overlay. I am truly impressed with the layers and how they melted together so beautifully. You have even given me an idea for a recycled project, too, so thanks for that. I LOVE the car, too. You did a great job, and I'm thrilled you shared it with us using Wendy's theme at Art Journal Journey.

Have a fun road trip and ask IKEA to come to the midwest, please (grin).

Meggymay said...

A fantastic, happy page and it sounds like you are going to have a good day with your daughter tomorrow.
I remember my lads when they were young always saying. are we nearly there mam, so this brought me happy memories when I saw it.
The acetate maps were a good find and far to good to throw away.
Have a good weekend.
Yvonne xx

CJ Kennedy said...

Fun page. I love the little blue car. With the flowers, it reminds me of a VW beetle from back in the day. Enjoy your road trip adventure with your daughter. Have a great day!

Divers and Sundry said...

A road trip in art and in real life both! What a great plan :) I like your background and that car is cute as can be. It won't hold much from IKEA, though ;) so I trust your real-life adventure car will have more storage. I want one of those Poang chair/ottoman sets from IKEA but don't really need another chair in my life lol

Valerie-Jael said...

Fantastic page, great idea with that cute, blue car. Have an adventurous weekend, hugs, Valerie

Cath Wilson said...

The fun shines out of this one, Erika. Great car, great background and great people, with smiley faces :-) 'Are we there, yet?' was all we heard from my granddaughter when we ventured down south for a few days' break... she started it 20 mins in - only 7 hours to go...
Hope your trip to Ikea was successful. We have one half an hour away - very handy ;-) Shopping fun AND mother daughter time - what more could you ask for? Look forward to seeing the results of some of the stash you brought home from work... and I hope the weather got better. It's very bright and sunny here but really cold, so it's a good excuse to craft. Happy weekend!
Cath x

WendyK said...

A fabulous page Erika, I love road trips as well, as I love driving. Your page is great, the map withe the colours look like cherry blossom. You and your daughter look very happy in the car. Thank you so much for sharing with us on Art Journal Journey.
Hugs Wendy

kathyinozarks said...

such a fun page-I love it

Astrid Maclean said...

Awesome fun page! Love how the blue of the car matches the blue letters and that map background looks super, what a great find!
Have a fun time with your daughter tomorrow, sounds like a great road trip!
#
I have landed safely in Australia. Won't manage to come by very often, but thought I would just grab the chance right now!
Hope the rain will pass over quickly and you get some sunshine and warmth soon!

froebelsternchen said...

I love your happy and fun little car! An amazing page for the current AJJ topic Erika ! Thank you very much! Wish you a wonderful trip to Ikea! Happy weekend!
Hugs Susi

Caty said...

This is a really Wonderful Art page Erika !! Love the background with gelli and acetate maps, So great and clever idea !! Love the car you have drawn and painted, just Fabulous !! And this question... is so fun.... like my son when he was a little boy :)
I wish you a very nice day shopping and with your family,
Big hugs, Caty

craftytrog said...

A fabulous page Erika! Enjoy your trip to Ikea with your daughter!
Alison xx

Mrs.B said...

Hi Erika, this is such a fun page, and I love the 'Are we There Yet' you couldn't have a journey without the children say that.
Have a fun day out with your daughter, I love shopping with mine.
Avril xx

Marjut said...

Fantastic, I like this happy and fun page :)

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Yes, taxes are an annual pain in the you-know-what for most folks. We got our done by a tax professional and everything was sent off over the weekend. That was good because today the post office was most likely packed and on a wet and rainy day. We really like Ikea and may be stopping at one by the end of the week. We've been to the one in MA, but the one we will stop at is in CT.

Jeanie said...

This is sucha cute page and I really love your blue car! Nice work!

I hope you weren't too naughty at IKEA. It's one of my danger places. I go in for one or two specifics, maybe, and who knows what more I come out with!

Lowcarb team member said...

Such a lovely page, just love the blue car, a cute idea :)

All the best Jan

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a brilliant fun page Erika! What a find those maps were! Hugs, Chrisx