Sunday, January 12, 2020

Alice is Back

Hi everyone.  Our temperature is starting off warm today, and although we have a bit of rain, it makes me think of March or April. By tonight we'll be back in the normal January chilliness, but this little January thaw has been super and I even managed a walk yesterday.   And a rainy Sunday morning means it is a good time to have a lazy morning. Hurrah!
The puddles and melt in the driveway made a cool photo with the reflections of the trees.

For the last few weeks I have been working on my Alice in Christmasland second book, since I ran out of paper in the original book.  And even if I wrapped up the story enough in book 1, I was having too much fun to stop.
 I didn't have another copy of the same type of book, so I went with something a bit different. For book 2 I used something I believe is called a zig-zag book. It has  2 hard covers and one long folded piece of watercolor in between.
Here is a photo of a blank one which is similar only the ones I have (I bought a few last year on a major markdown at Hobby Lobby) although mine have a few more paper folds.

To refresh your memory, let me recap part 1.
Alice climbs up on the roof of her home because she wants to look down the chimney to see how Santa can fit. In the process she falls down the chimney, shrinking in the process. Alice spends most of the rest of that story trying to get back to her normal size, and the book ends with Alice falling out of bed. I never said whether she was just dreaming and back to her normal size or not.

This is where book 2 picks up. Here's the first couple of 2 page spreads.
 As you can see it is now spring. The page says
" Oh Chessie, you are a regular sized cat." Alice said.
She had woken up on the floor wrapped in her blankets.
"I dreamt I was very very small and you were very very big."
Alice wiped her eyes and looked around the room.
"It was also Christmas in my dream.,
but it doesn't look like Christmas at all."

Myy spread is a mix of my drawings/paintings as well a bits of Studio Light/Art by Marlene punch outs. 
And here is the next section.

Alice walked out of her bedroom and noticed indeed it was spring.
The sun was shining through the windows,
and there was NO Christmas tree.
"And I am NOT very small." Alice said again in a voice that was very relieved.

This page is mad with some inking, painting, doodling, a die cut as well as some Studio Light Art by Marlene dots.
Just a tease. More to come another day.
Thanks so much for stopping by. 




9 comments:

CJ Kennedy said...

I thought the photo of your driveway was a mixed media background you had done! Your book format is also known as an according fold or concertina. I bet Alice is relieved to find out she only had a dream. Or did she? Enjoy the weather

sheila 77 said...

This is fabulous, Erika. I do like the spring-like window with the happy colourful welcoming bird. I can see why she was relieved when she woke up. What a terrific book and I am going to go back into your blog to see other pages. I have been off-line, out of Blogland for a while but now very glad to be back.
The weather is the same here and the birds are singing as if it was Spring already.
Love your new polar bear header too, white against the blue blue patterns.

Valerie-Jael said...

LOVE that photo, well snapped! And glad you are having fun with Alice part 2! Enjoy your lazy Sunday, I've been out walking in the rain, but not singing! Hugs, Valerie

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm excited to see Alice continue her adventures!

Meggymay said...

Oh Erika, what a joy to see that you are creating more pages about Alice. This spread looks fabulous and it is a lovely spring scene through the window.
Now we wonder what the lovely Alice will be up to doing next.
Yvonne xx

Iris Flavia said...

We had a very lazy Sunday, too. Weather, a good excuse sometimes ;-)

Yipeeeee, Alice is back!!! (Interesting book-shape, too!)
This is again wonderfully done, I love it!!!
Would you mind if I copy that for my big Niece? She started learning English this grade. (I certainly accept a no!)

craftytrog said...

Great pages, and good to see Alice back to normal. Looking forward to the next installment.
Alison xx

Jeanie said...

I'm so glad you are continuing Alice! And the b/w is stunning.

Caty said...

How beautiful is your second book about Alice. I love the story you've invented, it's very funny and original. Also, you illustrate it divinely. I'm looking forward to read your next post about Alice.
I wish you a very nice day, and send big hugsss
Caty