Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Time for a New Challenge

Hi there everyone. It seems like we just started the last challenge at Try It On Tuesday, and here it is time for a new one.
For the next 2 weeks we're asking for art that has whitespace or colorful grunge. Or maybe both.
My design team piece for this challenge started because I wanted to use this photo of the little bird on the snowy branch. I then used some various green paints on part of the page. My new fun  media is something very simple, but I am loving how it works. It is just a white wax china marking pencil (also called a grease pencil), and it is great how you can easily write on just about any surface.  I tried a white crayon and maybe it is the brand I had, but this white pencil is so much more white.

Maybe I need to get some other colors of these markers.
On my page I also stamped the little leaf design, as well as the quote.  I also did a bit of stitching in white, and added some white die cut snowflakes. There is a bit of silvery white glitter on each snowflake, but it is hard to see in this photo.
And since I am using something new on my page, I am also going to link up my journal page to Jo's Something New challenge at Art Journal Journey.

Be sure to stop by the Try It On Tuesday home page and see all fabulous art from our designers.  There is  great inspiration there. 
We are also looking for design team members, so if you are interested by sure to read what we are looking for.

Thanks so much for visiting my post today!






22 comments:

froebelsternchen said...

So beautiful!!♥♥♥

froebelsternchen said...

Gorgeous!!

Big hugs, Susi

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely page, great colours, and fitting to our weather. It's cold and frosty here today, too, so I'm off out for a walk! Have a nice day, hugs, Valerie

Rosie said...

Very beautiful

Let's Art Journal said...

What a stunning page! The image of the little bird on the snowy branches is gorgeous, I can see why it inspired you 😀. It is showcased to beautifully with the green background and white accents and that's such lovely wording too - perfect! Thanks so much for the inspiration and for playing along at Art Journal Journey too! Hugs, Jo x

craftytrog said...

Such a gorgeous page Erika! I love the little bird and that wonderful background!
Alison xx

R's Rue said...

Beautiful.

Cath Wilson said...

LOVE how you achieved both on one page, Erika - brilliant! I use China pencils, too...they're great - but Stylo broad nib are also VERY good. Love the birdie photo - I have lots of those from the couple of 'deep freeze' winters we had a few years ago...they look so vulnerable but also much cuter in their fluffed up states. It genuinely does feel like a reflection time at the moment... I've been doing a lot of that! Fab page.
Cath x

Divers and Sundry said...

I had never thought of using grease pencils, but the pen I used got so boring... I'll pick up one of these to try. Thanks! I like the colors you chose for this piece. They work so well with your featured bird in that snowy tree.

pearshapedcrafting said...

A fabulous page Erika! Love how you used your new pencil on the background! Hugs, Chrisx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Trying to play catch up here. Loving this. I had NO idea china markers came in colors other than white. What a fun new tool. Great for TioT's latest entry, but really LOVED it for Jo's theme at Art Journal Journey.

Mrs.B said...

A lovely wintry page Erika and I love the little photo of the bird sitting in the snowy branches. It's a lovely quote and that little bird looks deep in thought too.
Avril xx

Joan said...

Lovely page, love the colours and the white snowflakes


Joan

Eileen Bergen said...

Terrific page, Erika! It's hard for me to leave white space. So I admire pages like this a lot.

Thank you for the tip about white grease pencils. I get very frustrated with white marker pens. A pencil must be much easier to control and it won't gum up on you either. Brilliant!

Happy T-day! Eileen xx

Birgit said...

This is a great looking page and I love the distressed look of the greens and the white. Like a faded photo on the edges and the stamp along with the snowflakes just really makes the photo stand out. I think you need more pencils

Iris Flavia said...

Love this, also for the choice of color as usually for winter I see blue, not green, this is new indeed. A nice day too you and hugs

Jeanie said...

This is so pretty! I have such a love affair with snowflakes -- on the page! That Sharpie looks great. I haven't seen these -- have to check them out next time I hit Michael's!

Crafting Queen said...

Lovely creation.

Words and Pictures said...

This is absolutely beautiful, Erika - I love those fresh greens, all layered up, and the white grid pattern is the perfect framework for those intricate snowflakes to hover around. The tiny bird is adorable. Such a lovely page.
Alison x

Meggymay said...

A fabulous page Erika, it is a lovely combination of grunge and white space, its a sweet winter scene with the bird as well.
Yvonne xx

Marjut said...

This is so beautiful winter page. I love that gorgeous green background.

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

You've made good use of that chinagraph pencil Erika and I do think you should invest in some more. My Mother used to use one of them over 40 years ago they were actually part of her uniform for Marks & Spencers as they used them to write on a white board, amazing.. just as your art is, fresh greens and that little birdy, there's a real spring* in your step with this one. Thank you for sharing. Have a super weekend Hugs Tracey xx