Friday, October 9, 2026

Beautiful World

  Hi everyone. It's another Friday. For some people it's a holiday weekend. In the US it's Columbus/Indigenous Peoples Day. (I'm never quite sure what the exact name is especially since here in New Hampshire we have some very resistant state legislators who don't want to update the name.) It's also Canadian Thanksgiving weekend. Wishing everyone in Canada a Happy Thanksgiving, even if I am a few days early.

     Today I am joining Mia over at Art Journal Journey for her Beautiful World challenge.  I'm also linking a up to Nicole's Friday Face Off and Gillena's Sunday Smiles.


    My journal page started with one of the Gelli prints I made a while back. I thought the sun ( I added the bright and sparkly circle) and the moon are two beautiful and reliable parts of our world. I used the edge of a die cut tag to be a doorway, and I put the woman (a TH paper doll image)  in the doorway. I'm not sure if she is looking out, going out, or maybe she is even going in.  Whatever she is doing, she is in the doorway. You can decide what you think she is doing. The trees are die cuts  from printed paper. I used a marker to color in their trunks and I rubbed some orange and brown ink over the leaves to make them seasonal and to enhance the colors. I also added an owl chipboard that I've had for a while. I colored and inked her in also. The quote is from an old Hero Arts set that I have.

  I also debated whether to add the rest of the photos from our little cabin in Prince Edward Island  that I've been sharing this past week or whether to save them for another post. I think I will save them for another post, but let me share a bit more "face" art from the Art Museum in Halifax, Nova Scotia that we also visited.

 One thing the museum had was a large collection of First Nations Art, including this exhibit of clay masks. You can read about the masks in this next photo, and here's a few of them that I took photos of. 








                                   

   That's all for me today. Wishing everyone a wonderful rest of your Friday and start to your weekend. 





  

21 comments:

Tom said...

These masks are fabulous, in this area the were often craved wood or woven grass. Enjoy your beautiful world.

Gillena Cox said...

Bravo!!!
Happy Friday. Thanks for linking to AFFF

Much love

Angie's Recipes said...

Is that an owl beside the sparky sun? I thought those faces were wood :-))

Jeanie said...

That looks like a fabulous museum. I love the faces.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Nice collage! I like the moon phases, the owl, the woman's striped dress, and the autumnal trees! And yes, aren't those indigenous masks wonderful!

The Rev. Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

This is another great page for this month's challenge at AJJ. That mask exhibit is fabulous, and it's difficult to choose a favorite. Happy AJJ and FFO!

CJ Kennedy said...

Cool moon phase page and the masks are awesome. Chilly but sunny today. Enjoy the day

Carola Bartz said...

You created a beautiful page, Erika. I especially like the autumn trees and and the owl. The clay masks are fascinating. The owl mask almost looks like wood. Amazing work. Have a good weekend, hugs - Carola

DVArtist said...

Your art is simply beautiful. I love the way you have arranged element to make the eye travel around the page. Brilliant indeed. The masks are are gorgeous. From a lost time but still essential. Thank you for sharing all of this with FFO and have a lovely day.

Christine said...

Lovely page and beautiful mask exhibit.

Rostrose said...


Dear Erika, I like your collage. I think the lady stepped through the gate to see the owl (or the sun or the moon—but presumably the owl after all...)
Those are very distinctive Indigenous masks—expressive and unusual. I was sure Nicole would like them 😊.
Thanks for your lovely comment—and yes, you're right: a "Death by Chocolate" treat now and then is certainly nice, but having it every day would be too much 😉.
Have a great weekend!
All the best from Austria 🤗
Traude

DeniseinVA said...

Your journal page is impressive. She is probably wondering if it is going to rain today :) boring but my brain just said the same thing, lol! Love the owl flying over. All the elements you used to put this together, outstanding! That looks like a fascinating exhibition on the face masks. A Happy Holiday weekend to you and to our northern neighbors. Hugs, Denise

Mary Kirkland said...

The masks are intriguing.

Lowcarb team member said...

I do like your page and those masks are amazing.
It will soon be the weekend, have a good one.

All the best Jan

an artist reflects said...

Lovely collage creation and dynamic masks ~ Hugs ^_^

Thanks for commenting on my blog ^_^

The Happy Whisk said...

Great faces!

brenda said...

Those masks really are fabulous, the second on with those eyebrows has to be my favourite. Another super journal page.

B x

Iris Flavia said...

Love your art!
The masks are a bit scary, though!
Wishing you a happy weekend, hugs

Sharon Fritchman said...

Erika, your art journal page is absolutely beautiful! The design is stunning, and the message really spoke to me. I hope the woman is filled with happy thoughts. If we all focused on that each morning, I truly believe we could create a more peaceful world.

And those clay masks are simply incredible! Wow! Thanks so much for sharing, my friend. Hugs, Sharon

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a fabulous collage for Mia's theme. I really love the trees. Thanks for sharing them with us at AJJ.

Those masks are unique. I really was impressed.

I used to work in Columbus, KS, and they made a big deal of calling it Columbus Day. Happy FFO and AFFF.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Indigenous art is always especially interesting because it had functional or spiritual significance in addition to being beautiful. I always wish that I had a really good piece. My daughter actually has a small basket made from sweet grass given to her by a woman she got to know and befriended many years ago from the Six Nations Reserve in southern Ontario. It remains one of her most precious possessions. Not the least of its charm is that it is authentic, formerly used by a person who knew its significance, and who made this very special gift to her friend. That’s quite different from items made for the tourist trade. Best wishes - David