Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Accepting your style

One thing I love about posting is that I get to go back to my art and look at it from a different eye. Its not the paper on the table in front of me, and I can see things I like or don't like with a fresh eye. So I looked back at yesterdays Louvre pages I posted and I see a few fixes I want to do.  The real Mona page needed a downward arrow and the word bubble at the bottom needed to be colored. The chair to think about art  page otherwise picked out as the painter, needed a paintbrush at the top, and an off white strip under that item  like the other horizontal paintbrush. So I went upstairs, fixed it and yes, I like it better. Couldn't see those changes without posting.

Here's a couple more of my pages from my Paris book. These  share the paper hearts I added to them and a river theme. Now I know my pages are shabby journal style, but I love them. Lately I've been feeling that maybe my stuff isn't very good - maybe I should say it looks homemade and not very refined (maybe that's not quite the right word-but professional isn't right either), but I realized that its ok to have them look homemade and a bit shabby/grunge. There's a charm and a uniqueness to looking that way. I also think that right now my style isn't as popular as it was a bit back when shabby was in more. I just want my pages to be artistic. I don't want them to look like an ad for a scrap company- I LOVE scrap supplies but some sample pages, no companies named, are just way to overdone for me. I understand why a company trying to sell supplies would do that, but then I feel like I start to see so many of that style over and over. I don't want my pages to look to amateur though, even if I believe scrap pages are really for my family, I want  people to look at them and go wow. Nice page. Good job.  Talent. I need a bit of ego stroking- as bad as that is, it is a truth about me. I want my pages to be good-no great. But I want them to be me, and have a style...and sometimes it hard to see that when you're so involved with them but, that's how it is. Maybe its just me, but maybe not. And its true, we all make pages we like better than others- they can't all be wow blow you over pages. Funny, sometimes people really like a page I make that I can't stand. So, just have fun and make a page with your heart...it'll be what it is...and that's how it is.

No comments: