Friday, August 30, 2019

Almost Done-Dakota Journal

Happy Friday everyone. It is a gorgeous morning here, slightly crisp but blue skies. My kind of morning. And a great morning to have taken a long walk too.
So I have another Dakota travel journal post today, my second to last. And some photos to go along with it.
I will warn you this is a longer post.
 First of all here is a spread from North Dakota. I sewed a brown paper bag into my book for holding maps or brochures. You can see that on the left. I stamped some dinosaurs (yes I love dinos more as an adult than I did as a kid), finally found a use for the T. rex fabric patch I've had forever, as well as this sticker I  picked up at the Dickinson Dinosaur Museum. (Which even the hubby said he liked-amazing.) And on the right I used a man cut out of a shopping bag from Duluth Trading Post. We wanted to see what the store is like since we see the ads for it on TV, and the 2 here that I know of aren't particulary close to us. I also added a freebie sticker I found (citizen science is a big thing right now), a white pelican cut out of an old bird book because who knew they reproduced in North Dakota?
And here's another envelope pocket page in my journal. I added another map because here in New England very little is as far off as places are when you go out west, which I of course always forget.
 North Dakota is not my last state to visit (10 more to go), butI stilled liked the sticker so I added it.
And here's a few exhibits from the dinosaur museum.




And the next 3 pages are just to show you my mini-flip pages.


 I painted the Mandan Indian home. Here's some photos including one I showed you earlier in the summer.


Then when we were in South Dakota one of the places we visited was the Crazy Horse Memorial. This is the Native American response to Mount Rushmore that has all the presidents.  It is not yet finished, but the carving is still very impressive.
 They also have an attached museum with some fabulous Native American pieces which are really art in my eyes.



(I will say I am not a great photographer inside museums.) 
The cool thing about this statue is that they have no idea what Crazy Horse looked like as is there no photo of him.  The carving is a composite of many faces. Crazy Horse was a Lakota Warrior who resisted the US military in the late 1800's when they went to take over the Dakotas, which had been signed in a treaty to remain as Lakota land. You can read about him and the memorial here Crazy Horse.
 And here is the spread I created for it in my book. It is a mixture of stamping, a cut up brochure, our entrance ticket, and some various art supplies, as well as a bit of cloth scrap.
 And my final 2 pages for today are these.  Above on the left is some wildlife into that I cut out of the newspaper we received at Custer State Park, as well as some stamping. I stamped the burros are they brought back god memories of visiting her when my daughter was a child, and the coyote because we had one rub across the road in front of our car, which was a cool moment for us. And on the right is a postcard because we stopped at the visitor's center for the Titan Missile Site NAtional Historic Park. (We were too late in the day to visit the remote sites). We watched a movie and visited the museum, and I picked up this postcard specifically to put in my book. 
And lastly for today another small page where I attached another paper bag for bits and pieces that I wanted to keep but didn't put into the book. So there's one more post I want to share with you, but it will have to wait for another day. 
Wishing you all a fantastic start to your weekend!  (Hoping also Florida doesn't get hit too badly from the Hurricane coming its way .) And if you are here in the US, enjoy the extra long holiday if you can.

14 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

This was a lovely, informative and interesting post, and I like that you interspersed your great journal pages with the photos you took to bring it all to life. That really was a memorable trip you had. Glad you were able to have along walk today, enjoy your weekend, hugs, Valerie

CJ Kennedy said...

Such a fabulous trip and I liked the way you used paper bags to save bits. The Native American home reminds me of a Hobbit house. The Crazy Horse sculpture is quite impressive and the Native American pieces are very beautiful. You didn't have to go so far to see coyotes. We have them all over town. At night, you can hear them howling. Enjoy your long weekend.

Divers and Sundry said...

This does sound like an interesting trip with so many different kinds of things to see. I hadn't heard of the Crazy Horse monument. Fascinating!

Let's Art Journal said...

Fabulous pages! You have captured such happy memories of your adventures in your designs 😁. Using the brown paper bags is such a good idea to keep all those bits and pieces together too! Wishing you a happy Friday and Weekend! Hugs, Jo x

kathyinozarks said...

I Love your journal! so glad you shared the museums with us-very cool about the dinasores and I didn't get to see the crazy horse memorial when I was in that area so I really enjoyed those photos and the museum too
sounds like you had an awesome vacation out west.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What an enjoyable visit to South Dakota today. It was a fun memory, too. The dinosaurs made me think of the post I plan to share next Friday, too.

That Duluth Trading man reminded me of your husband. Great use of stickers, too.

That citizen science sticker you got is great. It's amazing what crowd sourcing can do these days.

I love how you treated the Teddy Roosevelt pages. It was great to see how you added two extra tip-in areas for those added images.

I have to admit, I have never heard of the Slant Village, so that was new to me. What great photos AND lovely painting, too.

I somehow doubt they will ever finish the Crazy Horse Memorial. These were wonderful photos from inside the museum. Far better than ones I take. I admit I didn't pay that much to visit the Memorial and Museums, though. You sure put a lot into your page. It's beautiful and brings back more memories. I get Dream Catchers and other goodies every year from the Lakota tribe. I donated to their cause one year and they have showered me with gifts ever since.

I missed the Titan Missile National Park, but went to the So Dakota Air and Space Museum. It was outside Rapid City and was FREE. It was located next to Ellsworth Air Force Base. I found it as fascinating as the Air and Space Museum at the Smithsonian and far less people.

Thanks for sharing your lovely travel journal AND your art. Thanks, too, for allowing me to remember MY trip, too.

Astrid Maclean said...

Awesome pages in your journal, I really admire how you manage to finish your travel journals, even well past the event. Fabulous photos too!

Thank you for your recent visit to my blog and I apologise for my less than regular visits to yours.. I have decided that blogging and visiting blogs is no longer a priority for me, I spent too much time on social media as it is (Instagram for arty things, and Facebook to keep up with my friends and family and what they are up to, as well as our current precarious political situation). I will occasionally come and visit for sure, but not on an almost daily basis, sorry and wishing all the very best!! xxx

Meggymay said...

More fabulous journal pages,I love how you used the paper bags
The dinosaur museum looks really interesting and so did the Native American work you shared. Super photos.
Have a good rest of the weekend.
Yvonne xx

R's Rue said...

Beautiful.

Jeanie said...

Your journal is just spectacular. I love the colors you used -- they work with the environment -- and all the graphics and pieces you included. The bag was a great idea!

craftytrog said...

Wonderful photos and spreads, and an interesting read Erika.
Alison xx

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Your art travel journal pages look great. Wonderful photos from your trip.

froebelsternchen said...

WHat an interesting posting! Great pages as well Erika! Thank you for sharing all this with us!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow! What fabulous places you visited! Both of them would have kept me happy for quite a while! Chrisx