Sunday, April 5, 2020

Books

Hi everyone.
Today I want to do my March book post. I write these for my own records, but as I have said before, some of you enjoy book posts, so if you do, read on. If not, I get it.
March was a weird reading month for me. At the beginning of the month,  I came home from our New Mexico trip and finished up a couple of books from February. Then I got sick and didn't read at all. Then we went into Covid-19 mode, which mean I went to home online teaching. Some of you had lots of reading time, and I certainly did read some, but working from the computer all day really cut back on my desire to read at night and also made it hard to listen to books as I can't concentrate on a story as well as work at the same time.
Plus, I found it hard to get into certain books. I tried several this month and ended up just putting them aside as I couldn't get into them. Think it was all the stress. I just want something that is only slightly challenging but is mostly just fun and almost but not quite brainless. I must say my concentration is off.
So here's my list. 
My 2 books I listened to.


I started the month with this non-fiction history. I have read some Erik Larson before, and I've enjoyed how he presents history. When his new book came out, I decided to read/listen to it. It was all about Winston Churchill and his family and friends in the first year of the war. (World War 2 that is).  It was a really interesting listen, enough about the war and enough about life in general that I would recommend it. That's what I like about his books, they give a picture of history more than just a history book style of history. (Although it is a history book so did I just contradict myself? smile) I just wish the narrator was different. He didn't bother me as I got used to him, but he did sound a lot like those World War 2 news clips narrators. 

And my second listen was this classic which I think I might have read but didn't remember the story at all. 
This book was voted best 20th century gothic mystery. I get why, and I liked it, but I had a hard time with the passivity of Mrs. de Winter for the early part of the book. I had to remind myself that the book was written in the late 1930's and times were different for women then. But the author did create lots of mystery and tension, and it is a really well written book.  And I didn't see the ending coming. I also recommend this book if you haven't ever read it.

And here's the books I actually read.  
So this first book by Barbara Pym is not a romance. I read this back in a women's lit class back in college (in fact I still have my original paperback and that's what I read). It was published in 1961 (I believe) and is about several women in London and their lives. They are all connected to the main character, Dulcie Mainwaring. It isn't funny but there is a certain dry, slightly witty look at women and love in those days. I must say I enjoyed it as much as last read. 

And then I am currently reading this other British novel set in the late 1930's and published in the early 1990's. It is all about an extended family, and I must say the author did a great job of introducing them all  so I could keep them straight. It is the first of a 5 book series that I understand takes the family and progresses them through time. I like the characters; no I don't like them all but I like that I don't like them all. It's not a hard read. It is a very atmospheric read so I do feel like I am there and enjoying their summer family holidays in the country as they enjoy the beach and have dinner conversations. I also like that the characters go all the way from 6 year old kids up to their rather old fashion grandparents. 

And lastly, this book.
Who knew Queen Victoria was such a talented artist? This book is a biography of her life but as shown through her art. I must say I really enjoyed this oldie. I don't think it is even published any longer but I had found this used copy on Amazon awhile back.
I just noticed how I was on a British book kick this past month. (And nothing wrong with that.)

So as you can see, I haven't even read any of my normal mysteries. Like I mentioned, it has been a weird reading month for me. I am hoping April and some nice weather gets me back into a book groove.

If you have any book suggestions I'd love them. I'm always looking for new things to read.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

12 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

You have been reading some good books. I know Rebecca well, saw various films of it, too. I have mostly been reading murder and mayhem to take my mind off things! Have a great Sunday, take care, hugs, Valerie

Cath Wilson said...

Glad to see you did manage to read some, though Erika. You go through books at an amazing pace. I read two books while you read those, even with being unwell and so busy! I only read in bed though and have been getting up much earlier.
Hope you get to enjoy more of the beautiful sunshine today and enjoy the green shoots of spring. Most places in the UK are sunny today but not us - we're bathed in cloud, even if it is warmer, with a strong wind!
Enjoy your Sunday!
God bless you and keep you safe.
Cath x

Jeanie said...

Love this list, Erika. I've never read Barbara Pym. Hmmm. Might have to look that one up. As you know I have Queen V's sketchbook and I'll be starting that this week. I really want to read the Larsson. He is a wonderful writer and I think I'll read it rather than listen. The family novel sounds good, too. I read "Rebecca" years ago. Have you seen the movie with Cary Grant and Joan Fontaine? If you can find it, it's a good one -- Hitchcock directed.

CJ Kennedy said...

Rebecca was a good story. I don't think I knew Queen Victoria was an artist. That sketchbook would be fun to go through. Enjoy your day!

kathyinozarks said...

I always enjoy seeing what others like to read-thanks for sharing

kathyinozarks said...

I looked up Queen Victoria's sketchbook that one sounded interesting-and the price for the book is all over the place super high and super low price? but none shows photos inside--are these in color or they black and white skteches? thanks

Divers and Sundry said...

Rebecca! That's a classic and deserves re-reading :) I've heard of Pym but never read anything by her. The Queen Victoria biography sounds delightful.

I always enjoy new book ideas. Thanks! :)

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, I have three books right now I read, it´s crazy. Don´t give me more!!! ;-)
They sound tempting.

craftytrog said...

A great selection of books Erika! I do love a good family saga, and Daphne du Maurier is a favourite author too
Keep safe and washing those hands,
Alison xx

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

So glad to read this post, Erika, and see that you started it with a new book by one of my favorite authors as well. I didn't know of this recent work and have added it to my Kindle e-book wish list from our library. I am currently reading Belgravia by Julian Fellowes. It's a good historical fiction read, which has become my favorite genre next to mystery. Recently I've enjoyed The Paris Architect by Charles Belfoure and anything by Beatriz Williams has been a good read. I plan to check into the e-book availability of some of the other authors you mentioned in this post.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Drat, I just checked the ebooks available from the Nashua Public library and none of the titles, except the Erik Larson one (wait list) was available :-(

Caty said...

This is a good selection of Erika books !! Now we all have time to read more, and do things we like, at home. My son also has online classes, here they won´t have more classes until September, so everyone will have to work online. It is a strange but necessary situation. You have to stay home and go out only for what is necessary, and with a mask and gloves when we go out.
I wish you a very nice afternoon dear friend, stay safe and well,
Big hugs, Caty