Friday, April 10, 2020

Week 4 of Online Teaching Wraps Up

Happy Friday. It is almost another weekend, and boy did this week go by fast.
But I survived another week of online teaching and even wrapped up another quarter of the school year. We're all (teachers I am in contact with) still wondering if we'll be home for the rest of year.  But the state epidemiologist  is saying we haven't yet peaked here in New Hampshire, and of course going down the curve is no different than going up the curve for needing social distancing, so my guess is that we won't. Maybe we'll find out next week.
But one thing I have discovered is that bread making works great around an online teaching schedule. You make some dough, go teach while it rises, go back and work it some more, teach again, and by the end of the day you have a loaf ready to bake.
It is getting better every week as I make more.
And warm breead sure tasted good last night when our rain turned to this.
And here was the other afternoon which was just gorgeous.
And even the grass is getting green.
And when I took a late afternoon walk that day I noticed more of these yellow flowers blooming on the side of the road.  I still don't know what they are, but they aren't dandelions. 


Spring is such an exciting season to see everything coming back to life. 

And CJ had asked for my sourdough bread recipe, so here's the one I've been using.

2 cups (16 ounces) ripe sourdough starter
5 cups (21 1/4 ounces) of all purpose flour
3/4 cups (3 ounces) of whole wheat flour
1 3/4 cups (14 ounces)  room temperature water
21/2 tsps. salt

1) Combine starter, flour and water in a bowl, and mix well. Add extra flour or water as needed until the dough is soft and tacky.
2) Cover and let dough rest for 20  minutes. (I have let it sit as long as an hour with no noticeable difference)
3) After the rest, add the salt and knead the dough  is smooth and supple, though still somewhat soft and tacky. Put in  a bowl, cover and let it rise for about an hour. (Like the last rise I let it sit a bit longer)
4) Turn the dough out onto a floured surface.  Gently flatten it a bit, and then fold like  you would fold a business letter. Turn the dough 90 degrees and gently flatten again. Fold again like a business letter. Put the dough back in the bowl, cover and let it rise for an hour.
5) After this rise, turn the bread onto a lightly floured board and divide into 2. Shape into rounds or ovals and let rest for 20 minutes. 
6) AFter the 20 minutes, tighten the shape and place each loaf into the pan or basket with the seam side up. Let rise for 2-2 1/2 hours.
7) Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. If you have a baking stone you can also heat that up in the oven. (I haven't used one yet). Also take an old pan you don't need for anything else, put water in it, and place that on the lower oven rack and let the water heat in the oven also. 
8) The recipe says to take the bread out of its mold/pan and bake it on a cookie sheet. I have done that also also left it in the loaf pan.  I have baked it in the pan and also on a cookie sheet. 
Bake for 30-45 minutes until it baked and sounds hollow when you knock on it with her hand. 

That's it's for me today. Have a great start to your weekend.

17 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Good grief, Erika. Lisca is showing bread on her blog, too. I told her "I wish I knew how to make bread (not that I have any yeast) because I have none." Your bread looks so good. Now more than ever, I want even a heel of bread. I'd gladly trade a roll of tissue paper for one slice of bread about now.

I can't believe you are one of the last states that has a lock down in place that still hasn't cancelled in-class classes for the rest of the year. At least you seem to be working out a routine with your students and your classwork. Be thankful your internet is working. Have a super Friday. I'm sure you are looking forward to the weekend.

BTW, what is the building in your photos? For a long time, I thought it was your house until I saw Pete looking out the window of what I'm sure IS your house.

Valerie-Jael said...

LOVE the look of your bread, I swear I can almost smell it from here. Glad you have weekend now and can relax a bit. The flowers are gorgeous whatever they are. Hugs, Valerie

R's Rue said...

Thanks for the recipe. Stay safe.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

I cringed when you left me that comment, saying your rain turned to snow. Ugh! Even your dog doesn't look happy about it, looking out the window. Those yellow flowers are lovely. I don't know what they are, either. Thanks for sharing your bread recipe. I know several of the T gang are making bread, since it's hit or miss finding it in the grocery stores these days. :-(

I hope you have a nice Good Friday and Easter weekend. (It feels surreal.)

CJ Kennedy said...

Thanks for the recipe. I don't have any whole wheat flour. Can it be left out?
You guys got snow! 😱 And those flowers looks a lot like dandelions except for the center. Enjoy your day!

Divers and Sundry said...

That bread looks delicious! I'm making hot cross buns, as is my habit on Good Friday. Those yellow flowers are adorable -a cheerful sight :)

Our peak here in Memphis is projected to be 4/18, but it won't surprise me if they move it later.



Jeanie said...

Those yellow blooms are awfully cute. Rick says the same thing about bread baking and work. He'll come out, get something mixed up and go back to work to rise, come back and punch it down -- you know the drill. Your bread looks great. My flour from King Arthur still hasn't come. I hope it hurries soon!

I made my lemon bread today -- just have to frost it up. Ah, life is good.

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, my, you still have snow?!
Yes, warm self-made bread is a treat then!
Dandelions are on here tomorrow, funny you have them today.
Oh, I would not know where to get sourdough starter from?

Stevenson Q said...

Oh Erika! These bread looks amazing! I don;t know how to bake bread but I love buying (and eating of course) bread so much. I enjoy not just the taste and the smell but also the way it looks, just like the ones you made. Looks like from a Fairy Tale Bakery! Please send by hugs to that cute black doggy! Happy Easter!

Iris Flavia said...

Erika, you got me wrong! My FIL found the thief! He nailed him down. He really was a superintendent!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Lots of folks are baking more now, Erika. So far, I haven’t been much more than before because self isolation is something we were used to before being forced to do it. But I have been making variations if banana bread more than before.your bread looks great, Happy Easter🐰

Mae Travels said...

All the online teachers I know of agree that it’s more work than live classroom teachers. What a business! At least all are still employed, and many of the kids are still learning.

be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Words and Pictures said...

Your bread looks very like mine... so I can guess how delicious it was!! Sorry to see that snow has replaced the sunshine for now - hopefully spring will be back soon. I'll be back for some proper catching up soon. Stay safe, stay well, and happy Easter.
Alison x

Words and Pictures said...

Did I just post that comment or not?! I hope so... To summarise, in case I didn't - fabulous bread, bah humbug to the snow, and I hope the sun will return soon. I'll be back for some proper catching up soon. Stay safe, stay well, and happy Easter.
Alison x

Meggymay said...

I thought I had called in yesterday , but wasn't sure if the comment was properly sent. Anyway I loved seeing your bread and the recipe you used. Our starter dough has been on the go now for about 7 years. Its resting in the bottom of the fridge just now until we can be sure of getting a constant flour supply. We've resorted to using the bread making machine as its easier for us as well just now.. We also use a pizza stone in the oven and put the loaf straight on to it.
Stay safe and well my friend.
Yvonne xx

craftytrog said...

That bread looks delicious, and pretty yellow flowers!
Hope you're having a good Easter weekend.
Alison xx

Neet said...

That flower looks a bit like coltsfoot - at least that is what I used to call it as a child. I think it is a weed much like the dandelion but it is a lot smaller and has a thick kind of woody stem. Haven't seen it in a long time so cannot even go out and find some.
Mind you I cannot go out as I am completely housebound by the government. Classed as extremely vulnerable I dare not venture out anywhere apart from the garden. If I lived where you do I would go out a lot more though, you are so lucky.
Love the look of your bread - we cannot get flour here, not even flour to make cakes so I doubt we would be able to find strong flour for bread making but I do have some small bags of ready mixed stuff which I bought long before panic buying came in. Used my head for once!
Hugs, Neet xx