Monday, May 24, 2021

T Stands for Garden Time and More

 Hi everyone. Happy Tuesday. 

This past week I have been busy with lots of work around my gardens and yard. I was getting a little crazy about accomplishing it also, and that was stressing me out. I had plants to put into pots and into the ground, seeds to plant, my screen porch to clean and set up, an electric fence to figure out for the beehive...

Thankfully last Tuesday morning my walking friend sent me a  text and asked if I wanted to walk that afternoon at the Urban Forestry Center. At first I thought I should just say I couldn't make it, but then I rethought that idea. Funny how sometimes you need someone to throw you off track to put you back on track. I think my brain was still running automatically on work time, and with our now summer like weather, it was telling me that I have limited time to get these things accomplished. 

And that is not true.  What I don't get done one day I can do another day.

Hopefully by next spring I will have made it through that first year of adjustment and my brain won't have to be reminded about time.


Here's a pretty view from out walk. I've shown you this before, but not with everything green. I think later this week, depending on when the bees arrive, I might get back to Bedrock Gardens to see the rhododendrons.

And I have managed to get my work done. Why did I stress about it?
Here's a few photos of all my work last week.
This first one was taken as I was putting in the veggie garden.


Time to thin my lettuce and kale in the cold frame. Spinach is about ready to pick and eat, as baby spinach is so tasty.


These are just a few of the many pots I planted  with some herbs and annuals.


It also took parts of 3 days to finish this next project, but the plastic came off the screen porch, all the yard paraphernalia got taken out, and then I cleaned it up. After that I set it up.  I moved around a lot of the furniture this year and am fairly happy with the result. The white Adirondack chair you can see in the photo could be moved outside, but it is a good place to sit and talk on the phone.


I just love my hammock. Especially in the later afternoon with a book.



I pulled out my old trunk from the basement this year. I bought this when I was a senior in high school and took it off to college with me. I got it cheap, and it needed a lot of repair then. It could use some more work now, fresh paint, and maybe finally getting leather straps on it. (But it is not high on the list.)


We've been working on getting the electric fence around the beehive. It is done, hurrah! We haven't turned it on yet though. Now we're waiting for the bees. The bees should ship this week, but I'm not sure exactly what day they go out or arrive.


And after all that work, the hubby and I went out for Sunday lunch. It was nice to be taken out for lunch by the hubby.


When we went to lunch last Sunday there was no line at Pop's.  On opening weekend however, there was a line.  (This and the next 2 photos were back on May 8 that I never got around to showing you.)


As we were standing in line on opening day, a worker came out and covered over everything that had already sold out. That day I ended up with fried clams (still one of my favorites) instead of a lobster roll.


This past weekend I had my lobster roll. I substituted onion rings for the fries. They came in a paper bag, and I shared some with my husband.
The grease on the bags looks pretty disgusting, but the food tasted oh so good.


This is why my  sandwich carton doesn't have many onion rings in it. I just put a few out and then took a few more and continued that until I had my fill.


This was the one of the best lobster rolls I've ever had, even better than usual. Maybe because it was my first of the season. Not the cheapest sandwich on the menu, but Pop's aren't over priced. Plus it supports our local New Hampshire and probably Maine also lobster industry. And most importantly, is a favorite of mine. 


We picniced in the car, watching boats on the the Big Lake (Lake Winnepesaukee) which is right across the street from Pop's.  
.Here's my drink which I brought from home, and my ticket to T over at Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog


Hope everyone has a wonderful T day and week ahead.
Thanks for visiting.


18 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Hi Erika, I retired back in 2003 and I remember it took me a full year to get relaxed, get a "retirement" routine going, and to no longer be on a time schedule-that was huge for me. I worked as a telephone operator for 25 years and when we plugged into the computers-at the exact second to begin we were on the clock. Retirement gave me my own "time" back.
You have a lovely garden going they are allot of work but so worth it in the end. I thought I would miss my big veggie garden but I really don't-surprises me.
sorry for the long post-glad you got to visit your favorite summer time resturant-the food always looks so yummy too-Happy T wishes Hugs Kathy

DVArtist said...

You are right, what you don't get done today will be there tomorrow. It takes a bit of time to get out of work mode. Your porch and garden look fantastic! I would love a screened in place to relax in. I am so excited about the bee hive. I can't wait to see your bees. Yep, fresh salads from the garden. I really enjoyed this post. Have a nice evening.

Valerie-Jael said...

You have really worked hard in your garden and home, and a few hours off to go walking is a great idea. Take your time! Lovely photos, too, and the thought of baby spinach is making me drool! Look after yourself, happy T day! Hugs, Valerie

craftytrog said...

Glad you got some down time, enjoying eating out with hubby. Your porch furniture looks wonderful, and that lobster roll looks delicious.
Hugs,
Alison xx

J said...

I remember when we first retired, we kept waking in the night and had to stop drinking tea during the early hours, we were living in our caravan as we had just moved to Spain so we didn’t have any jobs that needed doing, I’m guessing that’s why we didn’t sleep too well
I like your garden and the bee hives, I’m assuming the electric fence is to stop animals getting into them! How lovely it will be to have your own honey.
Happy T Day
Jan x

Iris Flavia said...

Great garden, but the hammock steals the show :-) And your pretty feet!
My strawberries are ready - to bees!
Pop´s must be good! No grease, no taste!
Great view. Happy T-Day!

Kate Yetter said...

You have certainly been busy. Yes, what isn't done today can be done tomorrow. When you think of it like that, it is less stressful. Glad that you had a friend that suggested getting out to some place different than your usual.
Your porch looks like the perfect place to hang out on lazy summer days. Loving your hammock.
Your garden looks good, especially the lettuce and spinach in the cold frame.
I am excited to hear about your venture in bee keeping. I would love to take it up in the future.
Your lobster roll looks SO delicious! I can't all the lobster that is piled on that roll. I can imagine that these sell out fast. Enjoy them all summer long.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Divers and Sundry said...

That is a pretty view and a nicely-framed photo. It draws me in. You have a nice, big space for your gardening. The greens look delicious! Your porch looks like a delightful protected space to look out over all that green. Those trees make a nice view. I love all your windows!

Pop's looks popular. That grease is the promise of the treasures inside ;)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You may be settling into retirement, which is all so new to you at the moment, but you have a lot going on that you didn't have time for before. You were always lucky to have summers off, but now you can think of having summer all year, even if the weather isn't summer weather.

You have a great looking veggie garden already, and I am so amazed at everything you have done so far. Your bee area with the fence looks good, as do the new pots of flowers. I'm always in awe of your screened in porch and wish mine could be screened in, too. I love that you have so many wonderful and different types of chairs for people to chose from.

It was great that you got treated to lunch at Pops, and your lobster roll looks great, even if I've never had one. Brown paper bags are notorious for soaking up the least little amount of grease, so those didn't look all that bad. And of course, to down it with a diet Coke is great. If only it were not caffeine free, my drug of choice (grin).

Thanks for sharing your veggie garden, your new pots, your bee area, your cold frame veggies, your wonderful porch, and your trip to Pops for food and diet Coke with us for T this Tuesday, dear Erika.

Linda Kunsman said...

You have been quite the busy "bee" yourself:) Beautiful view to walk along. Your garden and outdoor back area looks perfectly welcoming for the season. And speaking of, yum!!!! to that lobster roll. We did not get out to my favorite place in Cape May for one so I'll be more than ready for it when we return in September;) Enjoy your new bee keeping adventure, and happy T day!

Jeanie said...

Greasy bags bother me more for the gilt than the grease! However, the more grease on the bag, the less grease in the diner!

It takes a good year to really not feel guilty when you are doing something fun. I was afraid for a bit that people would see me midweek shopping in the day and think I was playing hooky! Pretty soon it kicks in -- and that's a good feeling. But equally weird in a wonderful way.

Is the electric fence to keep bears out or bees in?

CJ Kennedy said...

Funny how we stress about stuff, but it all gets done. Your garden looks great and after all that work it must feel good to put your feet up and relax in the porch. Looking forward to seeing the bees. Did you or are you going to bee school? Oh, that lobster roll! Looking forward to having my first of the season sometime soon. Happy T Day

Lisca said...

I fully understand that you still want to get stuff done in a certain time frame. But that will slowly change. You hit the nail on the head when you say: 'What doesn't get done today, will get done tomorrow'. That state of mind takes time to develop but in a few months time you'll be there.
I love your hammock. I bet it is comfortable. I have never had one and I've never sat/lain in one. But in my imagination, I have.
What a pretty scene, that photo of the lake with all that green. Picture postcard!
I love your trunk and I am impressed with the electric fence. Will that really keep a bear away?
I'm sorry the lobster rolls were sold out while you waited. What a disappointment. But the next lobster roll was an extra loaded one for sure. Looks super delicious.
Happy T-Day,
Hugs,
Lisca

Let's Art Journal said...

Such beautiful views! It looks like you're all ready for summer and that hammock looks very inviting 😁. How lovely to be keeping bees, the hive looks amazing. That lobster roll was well worth wait in line and looks so delicious - perfect! Happy T Day wishes! Hugs, Jo x

Mrs.B said...

A great post Erika, you have been working hare - the porch looks great - the perfect place to relax. Your lobster roll looks amazing and a lovely picnic spot to enjoy.
Avril xx

Halle said...

I completely agree that sometimes you need a distraction to set you on the right path again. I'm excited to see the bee progress as it occurs.

On a science note...Mini-me got an A in her Human Genetics college course...the inner science nerd in me is very proud. :)

Your seafood meals look yummy...it's got to be so much better fresh than even overnighted to the midwest!
Happy T day!

nwilliams6 said...

Erika, I am so impressed with your cool bee section and garden. The food looks totally fabulous! I love lobster rolls. Looks so pretty where you live. Hugz

pearshapedcrafting said...

Retirement does take some adjusting to! Love the view of the lake! Your garden is growing well - the bees will love it!
I love your porch - it really does look such good spot to relax in.
Your lobster roll and onion rings looks fantastic.
Very belated Happy T Day wishes, Chrisxx