Sunday, February 13, 2022

Happy (Almost) Valentine's Day

Hi everyone. Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

 As tomorrow is Valentine's Day, today I have a romantic page that isn't quite  my usual style, even though I've used lots of elements that are my style. I'm not sure all the lace on the edges of this page looks like me. Since it is so much fun to play with different items, so I must say I enjoyed making this page.


I started by using a stenciled 8x11 inch background.  I added some stamped white tissue paper.  I  also stamped this ancient  image (from the long defunct Postmodern Design stamp company) on white paper, colored and fussy cut it. I  stamped the "enough said" quote on white tissue paper and added that. Then I added the mini felt heart stickers at the top, the sticker letters to make the word love, and also a flowered felt sticky trim in white.

The white felted flowers didn't stand out, so I painted them pink, put in some black Sharpie details and added some little foam confetti pieces their centers.

I still had too much space on the top and bottom of the page for my liking, so I trimmed my page back to just below the bottom flowers and just above where the hearts were.

My page now looked too wide and too short.

I decided lace was always very romantic, so I used some wide pink fabric trim along the top and bottom of the page, and I also added a small strip of beige lace too.  To give the wide lace some support as it was just kind of flopping on each end, I mounted the whole thing on a fresh piece of watercolor paper. Now I am happy with it.



I'm linking up not only to Elizabeth's "What's My Style?" challenge at  Art Journal Journey , but I am also joining Jane's "Hearts and Flowers"  at Country View Challenge.  

Elizabeth also mentioned this new challenge on her blog that she found the other day. Thanks for passing it on to the rest of us Elizabeth. It's called River of Creativity and right now their challenge is anything goes. I am also going to link this latest page up to this challenge. 

I hope if you celebrate Valentine's Day you have some romance. It's not a holiday my husband and I really celebrate. Not that I don't enjoy some flowers, but we've just never made a big deal out of the day.

Whether you celebrate or not, Happy Valentine's Day.

Here in New Hampshire we're moving back into some bone chilling cold after a few gorgeous warmer days. Luckily they say later in the week the temperatures will bounce back up again. I love the feel of spring, but it also means slush and mud.


I'm not sure you can see the 2 little rivulets on my road, one on each side,  but you can see the mud.

Freeze, melt, freeze, melt, eventually there will be nothing left to freeze or melt. This view would make some great art texture.

And since  today (the 13th)  is Superbowl Sunday here in the US, if a favorite team of yours is in the game, I hope they do well. It is always fun to watch a good football game, no matter what team is playing, so my hope is that it's not a one sided blow out. Plus I hope for some fun commercials. 

Thanks for visiting my blog also. It is always appreciated.


18 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Your journal page is beautiful and very romantic, love it! Hope you soon really gets some warmer weather! Take care, hugs, Valerie

CJ Kennedy said...

A very pretty page. With warm temperatures for the latter half of the week, it will soon be mud season

Iris Flavia said...

Ohhh, just beautiful!
Had to think of you seeing this.
If we cannot have bee-beer, how about bee-pizza for Valentine´s!

Zoechaos said...

It is good to do something different and experiment even if you dont feel it is quite you. For me that is what a journal is all about a place to experiment and learn. It really is a great heartfelt page thank you for adding to the flow at River of Creativity. x

Divers and Sundry said...

The Husband gave me candy. I'm up for any observance that gets me candy ;)

That does look like a romantic embrace. Sweet :)

Carola Bartz said...

That's a beautiful page, Erika. I'm not the "lacey" type either, but every now and then it finds its way into my creations.
I agree, that photo would make a great texture. I hope that your weather will turn warmer, but it's only the middle of February. We often have cold spells in February (even though right now temps are in the 70s) and even in March. Yes, it's California (albeit Northern, so different from Southern CA).
I will probably check out the sale at the nursery - they always have it on Super Bowl Sunday for all those gardeners who aren't interested in football (like me). Enjoy the game!

Angie's Recipes said...

The journal page looks so full of warmth and love :-))

craftytrog said...

It's a beautiful romantic page Erika! The lace may not be your style, but the background certainly is.
Hope you had a lovely weekend.
Alison

Aimeslee Winans said...

Wow, love your page, Erika. It's very expressive of its subject. I think the lace is perfect touch but I really like all your flower chachkis you decorated with, interesting and unique. We continue to enjoy your dad's cake! A slice is so good warmed up in the microwave with a cup of coffee. Stay warm up there! xoxo

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Happy Valentine's Day, Erika. Neither of my cats gave me anything special for today and I didn't think to reciprocate. I also failed to watch the game. Just not interested since I can't identify with either team. I DID see the final score and the MVP, but I have no idea who he is. I chose to watch PBS instead.

Your journal page turned out so romantic and whimsical. Really a lovely entry. Too bad that stamp company went out of business. I liked that stamp a LOT. And adding the lace at the top and bottom was what took it over the top. Thanks so much for sharing this with Bleubeard and me using our theme at Art Journal Journey.

Meggymay said...

A very romantic and beautiful page Erika, the background was for sure your style. Great inspiration for the AJJ theme.
Hope you enjoyed the game.
Stay safe and don't slip in the mud on your road, the photos looked a bit difficult to walk on.
Stay safe
Yvonne xx

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Your page captures the essence of what Valentine's Day should represent, Erika. It has its origins as a pagan festival, co-opted by Christians and seized on by merchants and marketers everywhere as a cash cow to be milked without end! As you might surmise, it's not on my list of highlights for the year! We too have very cold conditions and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight. But March is just around the corner and by then the sun will start to warm sheltered corners and little green shoots will begin to poke up through the soil. Early migrant birds will begin to arrive and the whole cycle of renewal will begin again. Not long to wait now. Hugs from Ontario. David

Jeanie said...

Why do I have a feeling that I'll see part of that background in a future art piece? Just thinkin...! It's cold here, and icy. You just cope.

I love your page, Erika. It's really quite lovely. Happy Valentine's Day!

The Padre said...

Enough Said , Brilliant - Well Done

Cheers

Let's Art Journal said...

What a fabulous Valentine's page! The colours and flowers are gorgeous 😀. I remember the mud season, I hope spring is on its way! Happy Valentine's Day! Hugs Jo x

brenda said...

A great valentines card, many thanks for sharing with us at River of Creativity. Keep warm.

B x

Neet said...

So many of your posts recently have given me memories of my times in America. It always fell that we were there for Super Bowl and my friend had a big party which was a tradition. What a great time we had - fab food.
I like your page which is different, and you might find it is your style eventually because every style that is "you" always has to start somewhere. Love the lace - very mixed media.
Hugs, Neet xx

Evelyn Walter said...

Amazing page, Erika, very unique!
Thank you for joining in with our challenge at Country View Challenges.
Happy February!
Evelyn xx