Friday, February 18, 2022

High Style

 Hi everyone. Hope you're week has gone well.  It's Friday and almost the weekend. I hope you have something good on your weekend "agenda". My weekend won't be wild or crazy, but the hubby and I will be doing more de-construction in the spare bedroom. 

Today I am here to share another style page over at Art Journal Journey for Bleubeard and Elizabeth's What Your Style? challenge.

My page was inspired by the quote that I cut out of an Amazon holiday clothing ad magazine that I received (for some reason) in the mail back in November.  I'm happy to have it though because there are lots of "style"words and pictures I can use. That's where the "Dressed to Win" quote comes from.


I'd love to take credit for the background of my page, but I can't. It is one of those art paper you get inside a Somerset Studio magazine. I have a small pile from some old magazines I cleaned out a year or so ago.

I was inspired by the gold on the page. I started by tracing the  silhouette of the woman with a stencil on some white paper. I also traced it on my page with black paint so I wouldn't have to cut out the thin arms. I did change up this woman's head a bit though, as I thought she needed some visible hair.

I cut out the body of my stenciled on paper image. Then I used a scrap of yellow fabric and created the slinky dress she is wearing underneath her cloak. I used a glue stick to attach her cloth dress, then I cut out the body and glued it down to the black silhouette on my page.

To finish her evening look (and we know it's evening as I added the gold moon), I created her cloak out of this sheer scrap of fabric I had. The neck is cinched with the most glamorous of all accessories, a couple of staples. 


I then used some metallic paper trim, some stickers and a few plastic pearl like items to finish off the bottom of the page.  And yes, you can see my style with the slightly crooked words and trim at the bottom.

This lady is definitely dressed to win, but I look at it now and that quote would have been perfect for a sports themed page. Oh well, I didn't think of it earlier. 

I am also going to link up to a new challenge blog for me called River of Creativity. Right now their challenge is anything goes. And I am also linking up to Creative Artiste More Mixed Media challenge #79. They're challenges are always Anything Goes.

That's all for me. Have a great start to your weekend. And thanks for visiting my blog also. 





23 comments:

CJ Kennedy said...

Very haute couture. No stepping out this morning as the wind is so fierce, she might be blown away. Hope all is safe and sound with you.

Angie's Recipes said...

Very stylish!
What do you do with all the journals and pages? How do you store all those beautiful arts?

DVArtist said...

I think this is a wonderful page. Love all the details and the colors. Have a great day today.

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a fabulous page - I love the gold and your elegant lady is definitely a winner! I have quite a few of those background pages too! Happy Weekend, Chrisx

Pimenta Mais Doce said...

Omg love the details! So cute! <3

www.pimentamaisdoce.blogspot.com

Iris Flavia said...

Great motto - and page!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Definitely haute couture. Those Somerset backgrounds are priceless. When my friend Kathy gave me her old magazines, she kept the background papers. Some of them were probably priceless. This one went well with your dress, cloak, and all the embellishments you chose for the bottom of the page. So glad you shared these with Bleubeard and me at Art Journal Journey, as well as the new blog we found, River of Creativity.

Zoechaos said...

I'm so glad you have found us at River of Creativity and shared your stylish page with us. You have captured the red carpet look in this piece very glamours. I can never bring myself to use my Somerset Studio papers and think it is very brave of you, once they have been used you can never use them again! xx

The Padre said...

That Moon - Way Cool - Happy Friday My Friend - Enjoy The Weekend With The Hubby

Cheers

LA Paylor said...

the transparency is my fave part, creating depth and delicacy

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful page, love the colours, too. Have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

Lowcarb team member said...

That's a lovely page.

Wishing you a good weekend ahead.

All the best Jan

Mae Travels said...

I’m interested in the very broad definition of style that’s being implemented in your group. My idea of style in art was limited to terms like Jugendstil or Art Deco or Fauve or modernist or art nouveau or Pop Art or dada and so on. And my idea of personal style was limited to Western Cowboy or Hippie or Preppy or Haute Couture and so on. But you have a much broader view.

Best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

sirkkis said...

Hello Erika,
Your art page is wonderful and unique.
Interesting to know your ancestor's Finnish background. I suppose as they obviously have been Swedish speaking they supposed they were Swedish. Here we have lot of couples who are bilingual.
Happy weekend my friend 👍❤️

Anne (cornucopia) said...

This looks fantastic.

Jeanie said...

Love the colors and composition here. It looks very good indeed!

craftytrog said...

I love love love this page Erika! It's gorgeous!!!

Neet said...

How fortunate to have that lovely blue page, I had no idea the gold wasn't added by you. Your elegant lady looks extremely stylish and I do like the silver choker she wears at her throat. Perfect for helping with the sheer cloak she is wearing this evening.
Hugs, Neet xx

brenda said...

A fabulous piece of mixed media, thanks so much for sharing with us at River of Creativity.

B x

Divers and Sundry said...

Fancy! I love that dress but never go anywhere I could wear it lol

NatureFootstep said...

Both cool and beautiful. I love what you created for this lady. :)

Meggymay said...

I love how you created the stylish gown Erika, its a fantastic page.
Yvonne xx

Andree said...

A wonderful page, lovely colourway. Gorgeous background paper and clever collage techniques to create your fabulous Art Deco-esque lady.
Thank you for joining in with our February challenge "Anything Mixed Media Goes" at Creative Artiste Mixed Media. Good luck x