Thursday, February 24, 2022

Asian Style

Hi everyone. February is starting to wind down. I've  noticed the days getting longer,  which gives me a lot more energy. It is exciting to watch spring arrive, even if it is a bit slow here in New Hampshire  compared to some of you have elsewhere in the world. 

(And I'm not mentioning the weather due tomorrow. I'm going to be like the ostrich and stick my head in the sand.)

Today I have another page for Elizabeth's "What's Your Style?" challenge at Art Journal Journey. I like to play around with my own take on Asian style journal pages, and that's what I have to share today.

I hadn't attached this page to the white paper when I took this photo, but I liked the white background around the edge, so I ended up attaching the page onto the other sheet of paper.


The background is collaged paper, painted wax paper, printed tissue paper and gelli print pieces on deli wrap paper.  The frame is made with  stencil and some texture paste. Once dry, I used brown and grey paint on it. Originally it was wider.

I cut the edges a bit because my "frame" was too thick. I like it a bit more rough  as it is now.


The Geisha is a stamped imaged that I colored and fussy cut out. I framed her with a scrap frame from my work table. (Back when I had my old work table. I usually make pages a few weeks in advance.) I stamped the quote on white paper and cut it out. I chose that phrase as the misty seemed to work with the colors on my page. Then I added a few plastic gemstones to finish off the page.

Today is my turn to share a bit of Japan in my travel reminiscing. Many of you know I traveled to Japan back in 2018 with the school where I worked. These (pre-covid) annual trips between my school and the community of Nichinan, Japan occurred because of a treaty signing event that  is illustrated in the painting (found in this photo) below.


This is a painting of the signing of the Treaty of Portsmouth, which occurred in 1905 in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. It was partly brokered by President Theodore Roosevelt (for which he won a Nobel Peace Prize even though he never even traveled to Portsmouth). The Japanese signer of this treaty was from Nichinan, and I taught at Portsmouth High School. That is the sister city connection between the 2 communities. I took this photo when we visited the peace treaty museum. It is still a major historical moment  for Japan.

Unfortunately this treaty put Korea under control of Japan and also gave Japan control of the Manchurian Peninsula.  The Korean Declaration of Independence from Japan came in 1919. Manchuria stayed under Japanese and then Russian control longer.  And it came under Chinese control in 1949 where it remains today.

It was fascinating to visit Nichinan, which is located at the very southern tip of the southern most  main island that make up Japan. Here's a few things we saw.

This is a view  of Obi Castle. Some of this castle burned but has since been rebuilt.  It originated in 1588 and was the home of the local ruling group. When this was rebuilt, the original town area was also rebuilt. That also was quite interesting to see.


Here's old "city", but this area of Japan was quite rural so I'm not sure it was actually a city.


In the water running along either side of the road were koi fish.


We visited a National Park at Cape Toi. One thing this park is known for is the wild horses there. They originated when local farmers mechanized and then released their unneeded horses into the area.


We saw some amazing views. This Nichinan area is quite lovely.





As we traveled with the school, we spent some time doing some school related activities. I love how so many students bicycle to school.


We also visited the off season training home to the Hiroshima Toyo Carps. There was no game going on as the season had begun and the Carps had moved back to Hiroshima. Baseball, as you might know, is huge in Japan. The school we visited has one of the premier baseball teams in the nation. It is like at US colleges, where very good players are recruited. They will then practice and play baseball during the entire school year, and even live in a separate campus,


And by total chance we were able to visit this tropical greenhouse south of the city. This was part of the complex  where some very special mangoes were grown. No one was allowed into the mango greenhouse, but those mangoes sold for  $30 for 1. This greenhouse was filled with some tropical flowers, tropical trees and also coffee plants with seeds ready to pick.


Here are photos of the $30 mangoes you can buy. I guess buying them is a big tourist attraction, but we did not buy any.




And these bean paste pastry treats were remarkable.


None of us thought we would enjoy the Moss Museum, but it ended up being a highlight at least for the 2 of us who were biology teachers. We were lucky the year we went. There were 5 science teachers and only 8 kids. The 5 of us were all friends to begin with, and the 8 kids were wonderful. It ended up being an amazing group to travel with.


April was boy's month in Japan, and these koi fish kites were flown as a symbol to represent that. Homes with male children would fly this koi fish kites outside of them. These were taken outside the treaty museum. 
Sadly girls month had already come and gone, but it would have been interesting to see how they celebrated.


One other place of note is one of the many shrines we visited. This one was in Nichinan right along the ocean.




And finally, one of my favorite parts of the trip, though our Japanese hosts did not get why we wanted to do this. We visited Monkey Island, where the University of Kyoto was studying the Japanese Macaques and how they wash their food. It started with one monkey washing their food, and then soon they all were washing their food.

This is the biologist (in the next photo) we traveled with, and he is throwing them food of some sort as part of his study. Here they were gathering it up. They weren't really washing this food. It was being spread to bring them out of the forests where they tend to stay. We did see monkeys actually washing their native foods, which were  wild fruits.

Just so you know, these were wild monkeys, and we were not allowed to go near or handle them. And they also said don't look them in the eye as they could get nasty.





Hope you didn't mind my travel memories of a few spots in Nichinan we visited. We also visited Kyoto and Tokyo while we were there, but I think this post is long enough.

It was fun to write this post and reminisce of days when traveling was so much easier than now. Thanks for sticking with me this far too. 









 

13 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

The Nichinan area looks really beautiful!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Great memories of a wonderful visit, Erika. It's amazing how western powers divided up territory in times past without any regard to history, ancestral links, ethnic composition, or other factors which doomed newly formed federations from the beginning, or at the very least set the stage for never-ending conflict. There is little doubt that much of this provides a backdrop for Putin's invasion of Ukraine this week. Sadly, it also proves the inability of other nations to prevent it. There will be sabre rattling, sanctions, soaring rhetoric and chest-pumping, but at the end of it all Russia will have reclaimed all of Ukraine, as it did a couple of years ago with Crimea. I think that if Trump were still president he would send troops to help Putin! Hugs, David

DVArtist said...

Wonderful art but I am going straight to Japan. I too have been to Japan, and I love it there. I told Mr. M. if I was single, I would have come home packed my bags and moved there. Really beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing.

craftytrog said...

A beautiful page Erika, and wonderful photos of Japan.
Today we've had rain, wind, sunshine, hail & snow! That's the UK for you!
Big hugs,
Alison

Valerie-Jael said...

Your journal page is fabulous, very well composed. Love the photos, too. I hope the wild monkeys left you in peace! Have a great day, stay safe! Hugs, Valerie

Carola Bartz said...

This must been a wonderful experience, Erika! It is so interesting to learn and see more about a culture that is so different from ours. How long did you stay there? Did your school go there every year or did a school from your sister city come to visit you in alternate years? The choir of the high school where I worked did a bi-annual concert visit to our sister city in Korea - I think these programs are so worthy and teach the kids a lot.

CJ Kennedy said...

Gorgeous page and lovely memories from a fabulous trip. Stay safe tomorrow

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I so enjoyed this entire post. I love how you used your gelli print and your geisha girl is wonderful. I love all the stamps you used. They gave an authentic feel to the page. Thanks for sharing this beauty with Bleubeard and me using our theme at Art Journal Journey.

I also really enjoyed you showing us Nichinan. It's a fascinating history and wonderful photos of the village and local area. I loved every minute of reading this and seeing the photos. Fascinating and a great way to end the week, dear friend.

Aimeslee Winans said...

What a fascinating journal page, Erika! So much to discover on it. And it all works beautifully. Loved that you used deli paper, gosh I have even to wrap a million sandwiches up in but I bought in bulk way back when it was so hard to find for crafters (UNwaxed). One day! I always think positively, haha xoxo

Jeanie said...

I'm so glad you revisited Japan in this post and shared so many photos. You saw some different parts of the country than I did and it's wonderful to see this. What varied terrain this country has. I would have loved to have seen the monkeys. You've read "The Madness of Crowds" (Penny) haven't you? Do you remember how they talked about the 100 Monkey Theory, which related to the monkeys washing their food? Your photo reminded me of it. You had a fabulous trip -- I hope you'll show more again!

Divers and Sundry said...

Your weather looks distinctly unpleasant. I'm sure you'll be ready for Spring when it comes.

I would love the Japan trip (with a group and an interpreter). I might even manage to see a sumo match. There's so much culture and history there that I'd enjoy exploring.

Mrs.B said...

A fabulous post Erika, I remember how much you enjoyed the visit, lovely memories.
Avril xx

Meggymay said...

Super photos of your Japan trip and you must have so many memories to think about. Its a fabulous journal page as well.
Yvonne xx