Friday, September 4, 2026

Friday Faces- Lots of ArthropodsToday

   Hi everyone. Happy Friday. I hope everyone has had a nice week so far.  Today I'll be joining. Nicole's  Friday Face Off  and Gillena's  Friday Lunch Break.

 

Please note: I've been trying to publish comments this morning. I'm not getting fail to publish messages, but if you're on blogger, the publishing message goes on and on and on. It's like it's stuck in publishing mode. I'm out for the day today, but I will try back this weekend. But please know I am trying to comment. 😟

    Lately I've been noticing all kinds of arthropods, mainly spiders and other insects. My yard seems to be full of them. Like everywhere. In fact, if I look outside, there are all kinds of "things" flying by the window, not just birds.  🦋🐞🪲🐝  Here's a few I've seen this past week.

      FYI, I know not everyone finds these creepy crawlies as fascinating as I do. So let me warn you this post has some creepy crawlies, but most of them aren't too bad. Just scroll quickly past the first photo if you don't like spidery things.

   I'll start with this photo of a Daddy-Long-Legs.  I really like how I captured his or her shadow.❤


   For those of you who like pretty, here's a pot of zinnias in my yard.  These 2 Great Spangle Fritillary butterflies seem to love feeding at these flowers.  Can you see both of them in this next photo?





Here's a cabbage white butterfly on some  lavender.


  I've seen a couple of monarch butterflies this summer. Boy are they hard to get a photo of. I swear they see you coming and flitter off.  I haven't seen any caterpillars on my milkweed plants though, but I keep looking. 



    When I went out to check the bees the other day,  this grasshopper was just chilling on one of the bricks that holds the top in place.


And of course, here's lots of honeybees. 


   And here's my smoker for when I visit the bees. I like how the smoke photographed. 


     I'm hoping this weekend to go collect my honey. I'm very late doing it, mainly because of my shoulder.  I had to put it off because  1) I couldn't lift the hive box off  and  2) I need to assemble my spinner (that spins the honey off the  frames). I haven't been able to do a lot of heavy-ish lifting without pain, and both the hive box and the honey spinner are a bit heavy and awkward sized for someone short like me. 🏋

  I hope everyone has a super start to the weekend.  If you live where Labor Day or Labour Day are celebrated, I hope you enjoy the long weekend. I've scheduled my monthly book post for tomorrow, but other than that, I'm taking the weekend off from blogging. Let me also wish you a great start to the new week. ❤ I'll be back Monday night for T Day. 



18 comments:

Iris Flavia said...

LOL, thank you for the warning!
Beautiful flowers.
Gah. In Australia in a park Ingo went first, it was a narrow path. grasshoppers, huge grasshoppers jumped at me. I thought he wakes them up and they jump at me, so I went first Didn´t help.
I wore one of Ingo´s T-shirts so some clung at my skin, ewwwwww....
Years later we went to that park again. I bough ta too big blouse, over the hands and hiiiigh up - in 40C/104F. People started at me. It was no grasshopper-season!
Wishing you success with the bees and honey and enjoy the weekend, hugs

Christine said...

Lovely photos so sorry about the arm

EricaSta said...

Wow... I admire your eye for Details if you make Photos. There are fantastisc Moments in your captures.
Greetings by Heidrun ❤️

Anonymous said...

Really beautiful fototos 😍
Blogger had troubles and are fitting it:
I couldn't commen in my own and other blogs. I asked help, and now it's solved😄👌I could thank you for your comment. Have a great weekend🍕🏠🎉

Kathylorraine said...

a friend told me comments are working again-so testing This is a beautiful post-enjoyed all the photos-for some reason we don't have butterflies this summer-my neighbor mentioned that too-perhaps too hot of a summer not sure. Happy Labor Day weekend

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I am pretty sure that your first picture is a Huntsman, an arachnid, and the term Daddy Longlegs, in my experience, is generally applied to the similar looking cranefly. Great shot though, as are all the other insects. I must plant zinnias next year. They seem to really attract insects. All the best - David

Tom said...

...Erika, you captured nature's art in your garden beautifully.

Jeanie said...

The Great Spangle Fritillary butterfly photos are unbelievably gorgeous and so is the butterfly! I am so impressed. I got the book post up, c'mon by. Good luck with the bees. I hope you can get it done today. Can your husband help with the building of the thing you need (spinner?) or anything, maybe haul it over there?

brenda said...

Just commented on another blog so fingers crossed blogger's sorted the publishing issue as looked yesterday but couldn't comment. Thank you for sharing your lovely garden photos and that spider - removed one from the corridor at hospital yesterday to safety, most of the nurses were terrified of it.

B x

B x

CJ Kennedy said...

The flowers and butterflies are amazing. I like the way you were able to capture the smoke, too. Enjoy the day

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

The spiders are quite beautiful but I don't like getting too close to them.

DVArtist said...

Wow! Lots of lovely photos of the beauty in your yard. That Daddy Long legs is magnificent. Of course the bees take center stage for me. The photo of the day though, is your smoker. Catching the swirls of smoke is just brilliant. Glad your arm is getting better but don't over do it. Thank you for sharing with FFO

Maria Medeiros said...

I hope your arm feels better soon. Your garden is lovely and I love butterflies and honey bees. Not a fan of spiders but they do eat bugs so I am good with spiders in the garden. Wonderful flowers too. They are so colourful. Have a lovely weekend and hope your shoulder feels better soon. hugs!

Carola Bartz said...

I was waiting for the creepy crawlies and then there was just one daddy longlegs and very beautiful butterflies. Plus a terrific grasshopper! Did you collect some honey? Is the PT helping your shoulder? It's probably not a quick fix, these things take time - and PT exercises. I hopeyour shoulder will heal well, Erika. Enjoy the long weekend, hugs - Carola

Gillena Cox said...

Amazing insects, those legs are really really long
Thanks for linking to AFFF
i am late in commenting, because over the last 2 days my comments were not publishing

Much love

Shari Burke said...

Excellent photos! Happy Labor Day!

Lowcarb team member said...

Fabulous photographs.

Blogger has had commenting issues recently, which I think it affected us all.
Thankfully it seems to be fixed and it's great to be in contact again.

Enjoy your weekend.

All the best Jan

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Your macro shots are stunning. Just amazing. You have a real connection with your camera. I LOVE the smoker photo. Have a wonderful time away from your blog and rest that shoulder. Happy FFO and AFFF.